The General Ross County Chat Thread

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I’ve been following County for nearly 30 years, and I honestly don’t think I’ve loved a player more than Simon Murray. 

Yeah, feel this way as well. Best in County's history.

Not the most skillful, leave that to Karim Boukraa type of player. Would he win a race with Regan Charles-Cook I don't know...

For sheer effort, he tops the lot. For that he is my favourite and Laidlaw is pretty damn good as well!

Will sure miss Yan Dhanda next season though, hope he does well. Will be watching his future form like Ross Stewart, Liam Boyce etc. County Legend!!!

Edited by Sonam

At times I miss the OTB & the former player thread.

With Ipswich going up to the EPL, that's two former players going up with them. Cameron Burgess, now 28yo & the more recent Harry Clarke who despite his rapid withdrawal, was a revelation for us in the RB position, scored a few crackers.

32 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

At times I miss the OTB & the former player thread.

With Ipswich going up to the EPL, that's two former players going up with them. Cameron Burgess, now 28yo & the more recent Harry Clarke who despite his rapid withdrawal, was a revelation for us in the RB position, scored a few crackers.

Was trying to remember who Burgess was and when he played at Victoria Park. Wikipedia says he never actually kicked a ball for us so I'm less embarrassed that he rings no bells.

I've been engaging with some really puerile petit-trolling of the Caley fans, and it got me wondering....  Caley are at risk of going down, despite they should have enough in their locker to survive the playoffs.  If they do, they could quite easily fold as a club, especially if this battery storage scheme is rejected.  As a County fan how would you feel about Caley and their precarious position?

I personally would like to see County and Caley in the Scottish Prem, it would make for great Derby matches and a revival of meaningful rivalry.  Keep your friends close and your enemies closer I say.  All said and done I probably wouldn't want them to fold.

25 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

I've been engaging with some really puerile petit-trolling of the Caley fans, and it got me wondering....  Caley are at risk of going down, despite they should have enough in their locker to survive the playoffs.  If they do, they could quite easily fold as a club, especially if this battery storage scheme is rejected.  As a County fan how would you feel about Caley and their precarious position?

I personally would like to see County and Caley in the Scottish Prem, it would make for great Derby matches and a revival of meaningful rivalry.  Keep your friends close and your enemies closer I say.  All said and done I probably wouldn't want them to fold.

rocky-drago-if-he-dies.gif

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

I don't want Caley to fold and agree the ideal would be x2 Highland Premiership clubs. Good for the Highlands and good to have derbies.  

EDIT - your trolling did make me snigger in a puerile way...

Edited by Lanky Highlander

1 hour ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Maybe they'll split into two clubs. That would be fun. Wonder what they would call them?🤔

I've always been of the thought that there isn't enough businesses willing to sponsor football in the Highlands to sustain two top end competitive clubs.

If there's just the one club (hopefully us) then we can hopefully hoover up at least 80% of what available sponsorship there is. 

This also works with the talent pool, whatever there is, hopefully we can offer the path to the top, and nurture the best.

We can revive a form of local rivalry in the group stages of the league cup every couple of seasons, when the draw allows for it.

4 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

As funny as it would be to see them relegated into League 1, I would take no joy in seeing them fold as we may find ourselves in a similar precarious position once McGregor is gone. Hopefully the foundations are in place to stop that ever becoming a reality for us, and that we’ll more than likely return to being a mid table or so Championship team.

I have absolutely no desire or wish to see ICT disappear. It would be great in fact to see both sides in the top flight. I think its fair to say they have given us a few drubbings over the years, but likewise we have had some great games against them when we have won convincingly. With no rival in our league has meant not having a derby to look forward to, and that is a big loss in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

If Caley did go out of business there should be a lynching in Inverness (OK, no there shouldn't, I'm being hyperbolic but people should be raging). There's no excuse for the city to not be able to sustain a full-time football club in the top 2 tiers of Scottish football. It beggars belief how much they've failed to win over kids the last 30 years & turn them into lifelong punters. Maybe it's harder now than when I got into County in '93 because of the prevalence of TV football from all over the world, or because of Fortnite or whatever kids do now, whereas then we were desperate enough for football that watching the local side in the Inverness & District Welfare League was appointment viewing, never mind getting to go to Highland League games in an actual stadium! But still, you can't beat the in-stadium experience. That some investment in energy storage was the only thing keeping Caley Thistle from folding is incomprehensible. None of it really makes sense to me.

But anyway, obviously in the very short-term Caley going under would be funny, but I can't say I hope it happens. For starters, it's more fun for them to be playing in a lower division than County, secondly the games with them are always great fun.

I wouldn't want to see Caley go under, Inverness has grown a lot over the last 30 years, at one point it was the fastest growing population centre in Europe ( @ICTChris family member taught me geography so must be right!)

It's not converted into football attendance, whether that's because of growth TV and also the buses that head to Glasgow every other weekend.

None of us are stupid enough to also not realise that we have Roy propping us up financially and if he walked I'd hope there was legacy planning. We do seem to have a solid core of season ticket holders. 

The financial position of ICT is much, much worse than reported. They are in serious difficulty and it's not helped by internal back stabbing which is preventing a coherent recovery plan being formed. There is no great comfort in seeing this happening but its a consequence of arrogance, incompetence and complacency. 

1 hour ago, Steve Carrella said:

The financial position of ICT is much, much worse than reported. They are in serious difficulty 

Surely a precedent set in 2012 means that only an insignificant and expendable operating company is in financial difficulty, not Inverness Caledonian Thistle, the entirely separate football club entity?

If the worst comes to the worst for ICT, the immortal, untouchable, metaphysical club will simply detach itself from that doomed, insolvent company and attach itself to another meaningless off-the-shelf company and set off into a bright future, debt-free, suffering little more than a derisory slap on the wrist from the football authorities.

3 hours ago, Steve Carrella said:

The financial position of ICT is much, much worse than reported. They are in serious difficulty and it's not helped by internal back stabbing which is preventing a coherent recovery plan being formed. There is no great comfort in seeing this happening but its a consequence of arrogance, incompetence and complacency. 

With Scot Gardiner as CEO is anyone surprised?

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Comrie said:

With Scot Gardiner as CEO is anyone surprised?

I think it would be fair to say that the infighting predates Gardiner.

I've no ill will towards Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club and wouldn't want them to go bust (and don't think they will). Having said that, and putting this faux magnanimity about how great it would be having Highland derbies back to one side, I'd happily go a decade without playing them again if it meant they floundered about helplessly in the Second Division for years.

I'll probably take more pleasure from seeing them get relegated than County staying up.

Spoiler

keegan-upset.png 

Edited by yoda

2 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Andrew Shinnie.............🦁

County wanted to sign him and thought they had only for Livi to give him a daft offer.  Entirely worth it.