The General Ross County Chat Thread

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Right.  Clearly they can. If there is a delay, it isn’t to do with wages. 

Given he's 32, the sticking point for negotiations with any club could well be length of contract.

17 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

A good player. Potential Dhanda replacement? 

Probably more of a Simon Murray replacement. I like the sound of a Cliftonville striker joining County; sounds familiar…

Alex Samuel is a very handy squad type player, very useful even as a sub. Hope we can find decent enough replacements for Dhanda & Murray.

Still a long time to go, personally would rather the club took good time to weigh up the signing possibilities. Decisions that could either make or break the season.

11 minutes ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Surely Ridgers would have been a better/cheaper(?) option, given he lives in the area...

Christ knows.  Again, not one of the new signings has improved the team.  I can only hope they’ve got something big lined up for the creative areas.  

34 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Christ knows.  Again, not one of the new signings has improved the team.  I can only hope they’ve got something big lined up for the creative areas.  

Fergie was quoted in the paper saying they are looking to do 5 signings for the squad and 5 to improve the starting XI.

I'm fine with getting a cheap No.2 GK in permanently other than the constant seasons of almost having to play the loan goalkeeper 10 games a season. Hamilton has been a fairly calamitous figure in the top flight though so I don't think Laidlaw has much too worry about.

Edited by staggy4life

3 minutes ago, staggy4life said:

Fergie was quoted in the paper saying they are looking to do 5 signings for the squad and 5 to improve the starting XI.

I'm fine with getting a cheap No.2 GK in permanently other than the constant seasons of almost having to play the loan goalkeeper 10 games a season. Hamilton has been a fairly calamitous figure in the top flight though so I don't think Laidlaw has much to worry about.

It’s definitely a different approach.  Cowie wants Laidlaw to be secure in the knowledge that he’s first choice, whereas previous managers wanted competition for him.  

As you say, Hamilton is never going to play, aside from games in the diddy cup group stages.  And as abysmal as he is, he’s not Mark Birighetti. 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s definitely a different approach.  Cowie wants Laidlaw to be secure in the knowledge that he’s first choice, whereas previous managers wanted competition for him.  

As you say, Hamilton is never going to play, aside from games in the diddy cup group stages.  And as abysmal as he is, he’s not Mark Birighetti. 

Not sure about that last comment:

As said above would ridgers not have made far more sense , local , looking for a club and a much more secure keeper.

Anyway suppose we have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until he plays for us and we can judge him on his performances for Ross county

2 hours ago, staggy4life said:

I'm fine with getting a cheap No.2 GK in permanently other than the constant seasons of almost having to play the loan goalkeeper 10 games a season. Hamilton has been a fairly calamitous figure in the top flight though so I don't think Laidlaw has much too worry about.

So, the club are looking to bring in 10 players?

I can live with Hamilton as second choice keeper, as long as Laidlaw plays 100% of the games next season.

Just now, central staggie said:

So, the club are looking to bring in 10 players?

I can live with Hamilton as second choice keeper, as long as Laidlaw plays 100% of the games next season.

I was under the impression it was five players full stop.  

Some coaching changes. Mostly I wanted to post it because I had never seen Don's brother? before & holy shit with that goatee he looks like Mirror Universe Don Cowie, Don Cowie but evil.

Just needed to get that thought off my chest.

Edited by forkboy

Here's the statement.

Ross County FC can today provide the following update on the football department at the club.

Firstly, we are delighted to officially confirm Don Cowie as our first-team manager. Don, took interim charge in February and secured our Premiership status for season 24/25 in the play-offs against Raith Rovers.

Don will be assisted by Carl Tremarco who has been appointed as Assistant Manager of the club. Carl had been involved in the first-team setup under Malky Mackay as well as holding a role within our Academy as Head of Professional Academy/Loans Manager.

Joining Don and Carl in the first-team setup is Paul Cowie. Paul joins us from Dundee United where he held the role of Academy Director. Paul will hold the position of First-team Coach at the club as well as overseeing performance analysis.

Departing the club is Enda Barron, Enda held the role of Head of Football Recruitment, Scouting and Analysis. Enda joined the club in 2021 and everyone at the club wishes him the very best in his future endeavours.

CEO, Steven Ferguson, commented on the football department changes, ‘I’m delighted we have appointed Don Cowie as First team manager at Ross County Football Club. Having played alongside Don when he made his first team debut for the club back in 2000 and then bringing him back to the club when I was manager prior to our Championship winning season in 2018/19, there is no one happier than me that after a successful interim spell alongside Carl Tremarco that Don and Carl have the opportunity permanently to continue their good work. It was made clear following our play-off match that Don would be in this position next season, we wanted to give him time to build his department. Don and Carl’s record at home in interim charge was fantastic, with memorable wins against Hearts, Hibs and Rangers and we will be looking to continue this as well as improving our away form. Paul joins us from Dundee United and is a fantastic capture for the club, he is held in very high regard in footballing circles and his relationship with Don makes the process of settling in a lot easier. Enda Barron departs the club to pursue new opportunities but we would like to put on record our thanks to him and wish him the very best of luck for the future.’

Scott Thomson (Goalkeeping), Jason Moriarty (Performance), Greg Strong (Recruitment) will all continue in their roles while we will look at add to our medical team to support Beth MacIver/Fiona Hogg (Physiotherapists) and first team playing squad over the coming weeks.

Manager, Don Cowie, added, ‘I am immensely proud to be appointed as manager of the club. It is no secret the long affinity I have had with the club and to be appointed in this role full-time is an honour for me and my family. Carl was a massive help during my spell in interim charge so to have him on board is fantastic. Paul is also an addition I am delighted to have. He did a great job at Dundee United and he felt he was ready for a role in a first-team environment which we are excited to have him for. I echo Steven's comments on Enda, he has been fantastic to work with for the past three years and wish him nothing but continued success in the future.’