The General Ross County Chat Thread

I don't think Tokely's that good in defence! He could have stopped Wright's winner for St Johnstone when Tokely's replacement Kovacevic was on the wrong side, but Tokely was indirectly culpable for at least two of Friday's goals on a number of levels and his nervy header against his own team's crossbar couldn't have helped. For a full-back who is reluctant to get forward, neither does he tuck in to be an auxiliary third centre-back. When Fitzpatrick goes forward, that leaves the defence lop-sided and exposes Munro. What's the point in playing Tokely if he isn't going to do what should make him a big asset, by helping to spread the rest of the defence to a back three? There have been so many occasions this season where Tokely hasn't even had a wide player against him so he just buggers about marking no-body, while his team-mates are even somtimes reluctant to pass to him even as the spare man on the pitch.

I'd agree with this. I'd like to see Kova given a chance at RB instead of Bateson, and I'd trust Munro to recapture his form. Both at Clach and the Raith cup game I thought Bateson looked suspect defensively, whereas I honestly think Kova could be a decent player. However you can see whenever he's playing that he likes to get forward, and I think he's far more comfortable in a RB position than as centre half. I would suggest for the Hibs game to go for:

Fraser

Kovacevic Boyd Munro Fitzpatrick

Brittain Kettlewell Lawson Vigurs

Fotheringham

McMenamin/Glen

I know it might be a little controversial, but the more I see of Glen and Morrow, the more I start to think that our second best striker is currently banging them in for Partick.

Edited by Spain

Woops! Didn't mean to do that. Also didn't mean to put it in quotes. Was on the phone waiting on an answer as I was typing, that's my excuse anyway. :ph34r:

ETA: My point about Craig still stands though.

Edited by Spain

I'd agree with this. I'd like to see Kova given a chance at RB instead of Bateson, and I'd trust Munro to recapture his form. Both at Clach and the Raith cup game I thought Bateson looked suspect defensively, whereas I honestly think Kova could be a decent player. However you can see whenever he's playing that he likes to get forward, and I think he's far more comfortable in a RB position than as centre half. I would suggest for the Hibs game to go for:

Fraser

Kovacevic Boyd Munro Fitzpatrick

Brittain Kettlewell Lawson Vigurs

Fotheringham

McMenamin/Glen

I know it might be a little controversial, but the more I see of Glen and Morrow, the more I start to think that our second best striker is currently banging them in for Partick.

Drop Tokely when he has not really done anything wrong? Several times last Friday Boyd and Munro were jumping for the same ball and not winning it. I would be tempted to try Tokely at Centre Half and "rest" one of the existing two. Cant understand why Jimmy gets picked ahead of Ketts or Lawson. What we really need is more movement and pace going forward.

I thought that Tokely was OK on Friday, although he let Doran run past him for the third goal and clearly forgot which team he was playing for in the first minute. He was reasonably solid but if you play him as a right-back then he'll be exposed in some games. It was disappointing that we didn't try and attack him with Roberts' pace and he was never really tested in the first half when we were well on top. He played as a centre-half for us from the middle of our title winning season in 2010 and hasn't played at right back since. He was great when we first got promoted in 2004, in the first couple of seasons he produced some magnificent performances going forward from right back but he's older now and I'm not sure he'll be able to hack it in the SPL playing there. I thought County would've paired him with Munro or used him as back up for Boyd.

Have to echo what Chris has said. Tokely wasn't effective at RB for a number of years with us due to his lack of pace. I'm really surprised at Adams playing Tokely at RB. Boyd and Munro are a good pairing at CB and IMHO Tokely is good cover for them if one of them picks up an injury. It's harsh of Tokely that county fans are asking for him to be dropped. I thought he played really well on Friday night - but then he'll always be a legend in my eyes.

Have to echo what Chris has said. Tokely wasn't effective at RB for a number of years with us due to his lack of pace. I'm really surprised at Adams playing Tokely at RB. Boyd and Munro are a good pairing at CB and IMHO Tokely is good cover for them if one of them picks up an injury. It's harsh of Tokely that county fans are asking for him to be dropped. I thought he played really well on Friday night - but then he'll always be a legend in my eyes.

It's not that harsh really, you said it yourself, he's not really an effective right back, & where else will he play? And to be fair, it's not really all about Friday either. I've warmed to him considerably after a very brief SEETHING "how can we sign him?" childish attitude the day he was announced as a County player but I'd like to see someone else given a go to see if they can give us more.

Drop Tokely when he has not really done anything wrong? Several times last Friday Boyd and Munro were jumping for the same ball and not winning it. I would be tempted to try Tokely at Centre Half and "rest" one of the existing two. Cant understand why Jimmy gets picked ahead of Ketts or Lawson. What we really need is more movement and pace going forward.

Tokely isn't effective enough going forward, that's why I'd like to give Kovacevic a chance. Boyd and Munro have struggled a little with a lack of protection from the midfield with Lawson and now Kettlewell missing, but I am more than confident enough the pairing will find form again.

I thought that Tokely was OK on Friday, although he let Doran run past him for the third goal and clearly forgot which team he was playing for in the first minute.

It's harsh of Tokely that county fans are asking for him to be dropped. I thought he played really well on Friday night -

It was Tokely's howler of a pass that set up the move for Munro's mistake. After the pass, he was dallying for too long on the right and didn't cover his centre-backs when Boyd had to approach Foran. By the time Tokely realised what happened, Tokely couldn't do anything about Shinnie's run; had Tokely been switched on then Shinnie would have had to skin him, possibly giving Boyd the time to recover.

Munro made the biggest mistake, of course, but that seems to have been a fluke. However, the rest of the move to the goal was a classic symptom of Tokely's play in general. This isn't a knee-jerk criticism. Tokely got the sponsors' man-of-the-match for the first game of the season but that was hugely helped by Brittain acting as a right-back in front/beside him, so Tokely could effectively play as a third centre-back. By doing that, though, County posed no threat going forward on their right flank, which just isn't sustainable.

If Tokely's not going to cover his centre-backs in open play and can't offer anything going forward, I struggle to see the point in playing him at right-back.

post-22987-0-61156600-1349721468_thumb.p

Edited by bunglebonce

It was said repeatedly when we signed him (by both County and ICT fans to be fair) that he was past it as a RB at this level, and County fans hoped it was as CB or RB cover. Signing Bateson and Kovacevic gave us hope that this was the case, but then Tokely started playing as RB in the pre-season friendlies and it was clear he was going to stay there.

I am not a Tokely hater, I will get behind anyone in a County shirt, but I would like to see what Kovacevic can do now.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't even dare venture into the match thread after how petty some of the comments were this time last week.

County's results are so bloody unpredictable at the moment. I guess that's why we keep coming back!

I think DA is picking close to what the majority on here probably think the starting XI should be.

I was really impressed by some of the off-the-ball movement by Kettlewell, Brittain and Vigurs in the first half. Kovacevic not needing the same protection as Tokely allows Brittain to start 5-10 yards further up the pitch and that makes such a difference. Having Tokely as the Plan C was a masterstroke, even if it was harsh on Glen to not even get 15 minutes on the park.

Despite the positivity, Griffiths ought to have had a hat-trick and Hibs could have won 5-4. It's amazing how fine the margins are in the top division.

Despite the positivity, Griffiths ought to have had a hat-trick and Hibs could have won 5-4. It's amazing how fine the margins are in the top division.

Dundee fans could probably testify to that after our game on Friday. Mistakes are punished to a greater extent at this level compared to SFL1. The margin for error can be so small in some games and what will be key is how quickly promoted teams adapt to that. County, so far, look to be adapting better than Dundee.

Having a better squad and knowing they were going to be in the SPL also helps of course.

There appears to be a problem with OTB. You can still access the Jailender site here but not the Over the Bridge forum itself.

Edit: Scratch that, it appears to be working now.

Edited by Spain

Promises are promises, so here's some of my stats after one full round of fixtures (well, for those that matter regarding avoiding relegation i.e. us and DFC).

After 11 games, and since expansion to 12 teams (12 seasons):

No team has overcome a point gap of more 5 points to avoid relegation (DUFC were on 2, St Mirren who were eventually relegated were on 7 in the SPL's first season [00/01]).

No relegated team has accrued more than 10 points - Dunfermline last season, and ICT in 08/09 both had 10 points.

The team placed 12th has gone on to be eventually relegated 5 times - Falkirk (5pts in 09/10), Gretna (4pts in 07/08), Livingston (3pts in 05/06), Partick (2pts in 03/04) & St. Johnstone (3pts in 01/02).

The average points tally for the eventually relegated team is 6.