The General Ross County Chat Thread

Reguero

Fenlon Boyd Dreesen XXX

Balk

Brittain Quinn Cardle

Arquin de Leeuw

That's my hunch on how the team is shaping up to start the season. The doubt will be who gets signed for left-back, if de Leeuw plays on the wing and Jervis starts up front and if a new box-to-box midfielder comes in.

Reguero

Fenlon Boyd Dreesen XXX

Balk

Brittain Quinn Cardle

Arquin de Leeuw

That's my hunch on how the team is shaping up to start the season. The doubt will be who gets signed for left-back, if de Leeuw plays on the wing and Jervis starts up front and if a new box-to-box midfielder comes in.

What about Boyce? I know we haven't seen him yet but I would have thought he was in Del's plans.

Be interesting to see how Jim Fenlon gets on. He had plenty of ability at AFC Wimbledon but has some issues that meant he didn't really make the right impression. If he gets the support and is nurtured well and he responds and gets his head down and is able to solely concentrate on his football, he has the potential to do very well.

Good luck to him.

Is he likely to start? He needs to get some game time in before then. He will only have a few days' training behind him.

Not sure about his fitness but most posts suggest he has 'tweaked' something which doesn't sound too bad. Maybe I should have asked how you think a fit Boyce would fit into that set up?

Reading the forums the AFC Wimbledon fans don't seem happy he's rejected a new contract and signed for us. They thought he'd be heading to a bigger club than us which is promosing.

I noticed a tweet from an English journo and AFC Wimbledon fan to one of our fans:

"Nothing against you guys, but he was expected to go to a Championship or PL side and develop there. Expected a bigger move, that's all. Sort his attitude out and you've got a good young player there. All the best"

I hope Boyce is better the Jervis, would hope he would be good enough to start each game.

We do still need a Left back obviously, but Centre Mid is an area we are weak in, Brittain & Quinn are just not good enough as a pairing in centre mid. Brittain is better wide.

I think we still need 2 central midfielders to be honest. I can see Cardle being used as an impact sub at times also.

Plenty of good things from the Elgin game, Fenlon looked very good and will be a good addition.

I'm not particularly keen on Quinn or Cardle starting. Another four or five players are needed IMO - County are lacking all over the midfield.

Positions needing filled:

LB x2

CM x2 (at least)

LM

What chance is there of any youth players coming through this season? I've no idea where any of them play.

Edited by yoda

Reading the forums the AFC Wimbledon fans don't seem happy he's rejected a new contract and signed for us. They thought he'd be heading to a bigger club than us which is promosing.

I noticed a tweet from an English journo and AFC Wimbledon fan to one of our fans:

"Nothing against you guys, but he was expected to go to a Championship or PL side and develop there. Expected a bigger [/size]move, that's all. Sort his attitude out and you've got a good young player there. All the best"[/size]

I wouldn't get too carried away. Fenlon was offered a new contract on much lesser terms at AFCW, so no real suprise he turned it down. The lad has some issues but if nurtured correctly, he might do OK. His positional play needs some work, but he's a strong lad with a turn of pace. I'll be watching his progress but this one could go either way. I certainly never expected him to go to a higher club in the English leagues. That is nonsense. I think the guy who made the post is a blogger rather than a journo.

I'm a Wimbledon fan who's lived up here for a good few years now but have seen quite a bit of Fenlon. He has a huge amount of potential but never quite nailed down a permanent place with us. If anything, his flexibility counted against him and there have been persistent low-level murmurings about indiscipline (which may be frustration at not getting a regular slot). Cracking shot, fast, and can beat players - he'll do better for you going forward as a wingback taking the game forward than a reliably solid defender. Really hope he does well because I always liked the look of him but he's by no means the finished article and to be honest I didn't expect to see him playing at this level.

Edited by Tobermory

I've a sudden urge to watch Last King of Scotland now.

Looks like it's hit or miss with this kid then going by some AFCW fans views. Potential is definitely there and realistically I can't think of anyone better than Adams to develop him.

Our Del loves our full-backs to get forward. Doesn't normally play a winger in front of one of these types of guy though, so RB probably will be on the right.

With perhaps a more sitting left back? You thinking this Slovenian fella might be heading our way?

Just for information on Fenlon.

http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/neal-on-jim-1024015.aspx

This is what Neil thought in August last year.

The attitude was solely that Neil thought he looked too happy training and playing with the u21's.

Jim constantly asked to go on loan as he wasn't getting game time. This was declined every time and Jim told he didnt have the right attitude.

Several loan deals were set up by his agent and permission was not given. It wasn't attitude, it was passion to play football.

Jim was outstanding in the televised MK dons game last year too. I thought he could of been man of the match.

Adams was quoted in the P&J today about the likelihood of Balk playing in front of the back four: "He doesn't know that yet".

A bit of an odd comment, that.

Of course, a bit of flexibility is a good thing. I quite like the idea of him playing in midfield, so long as it doesn't become a Konterman-type bombscare-fillowed-by-wonder goal-followed-by-move to centre half style thing.

A bit of an odd comment, that.

Of course, a bit of flexibility is a good thing. I quite like the idea of him playing in midfield, so long as it doesn't become a Konterman-type bombscare-fillowed-by-wonder goal-followed-by-move to centre half style thing.

'....odd comment...."

Derek Adams....

Hmm....