The General Ross County Chat Thread

Great. Think everyone's managed to read it except me now.

What does it say?!

It says "Forget Benedict Cumberbatch, it was women who helped crack the Enigma Code". Perhaps I read the wrong article though. Edited by Savage Henry

What does it say?!

"BILLY LIKES FITBA!"

Which is perhaps doing Dodds a disservice. It's actually a very good article. I'd recommend you read it.

What does it say?!

Only way was up for sinking Staggies

WHEN Jim McIntyre and myself arrived, Ross County had played four games and had no points whatsoever.

The gamble was that we were leaving a stable club in Queen of the South, one that we had worked really hard to build up.

But we knew what we were coming to. We knew the only way was up. It was a good stable club which had really good facilities to work, one which had reached the Scottish Cup final as recently as 2010. Most of all, the thing Jim and I knew was how rare the chances are to manage in the top flight. Whether it is six months, 12 months or whatever - you might not get another chance.

Previously I had been getting the best of both worlds - some media and some coaching - but I wanted to test myself again in the top flight. I had been unlucky a few times, first with Dundee United, then in the championship with Dundee when they went into administration. Jim was the same. He didn't deserve the sack at Dunfermline, even Jim Jefferies, his successor, admitted that. The two of us were twitching to get back in.

And when we went there at first it was a bit of everything really. We were playing a 4-2-3-1 system, but we were either scoring goals and losing them, or losing goals and not scoring them. Like everybody does, we tried to look for the right formula and balance. Aberdeen thumped us 4-0 at Pittodrie and we could have gone into that dressing room and gone to town on the boys.

But we knew our goalkeeper had made a couple of mistakes and we ended up with ten men because one of our players got injured. Everything that transpired that night went against us and we told them that. We knew we had a six-game stretch coming up against teams who were round about us. This was our season starting now.

We knew results could pick up. What we didn't think was that we could beat practically everyone who has been put in our way. Yet even despite this great run of results, we still just can't get the job done - because, at least prior to their defeat to Partick Thistle yesterday, Motherwell keep winning too. While the excitement is great for everybody else, it is not great for us. We would love it over with five games to go but it is going to go to the wire and we are left with that situation. Staying up is still a long way away, but a two-horse race has become a three- or four-horse race. This is our second time at attempting to avoid the curse of the manager of the month award. It was mentioned the last time and it will be mentioned again going into the St Mirren match tomorrow night.

Jim and I didn't want to go down the route of making wholesale changes in January. It was a lot of hard work. But this wasn't a solid squad which needed tweaking in two or three positions, it was a squad which maybe needed strengthening in around eight positions. We have never worked as hard as we did during that January transfer window.

Every single player in a 4-4-2 has absolutely grasped it. We haven't had a single person in the squad coming to us saying they should be in the team. Craig Curran has brought an unbelieveable work ethic, Raffaele De Vita - the player of the month for March - has brought important goals plus a bit of composure and quality, Michael Gardyne has been so consistent it is unbelievable and Jackson Irvine has been running over people in midfield. Marcus Fraser and Jamie Reckord have come in and hit the ground running. Scott Boyd has kicked on again. We brought on some centre halves and he has said 'they are not getting my position' so full credit to him.

Long term, this isn't the way we want to go. We want some stability and continuity at the club. It is not healthy for the club, it is not healthy for people working at the club. We want to get a squad of players tied up on two-year contracts and that is why we have already signed up Tony Dingwall and Marcus Fraser. But it is all still dependent on us staying up.

Nothing is certain yet, but I am genuinely gutted to see St Mirren where they are. I play golf with Stewart Gilmour, and while things have not been going well this year, look at the decisions they have made in the past. Okay they got rid of Danny Lennon but they also brought Danny Lennon in, who kept them in the top league for years, and won a cup, and no-one was criticising them then. They are one of my favourite clubs in the SPFL by far.

Nothing is done yet but I need to finish with a word for our chairman, Roy MacGregor. People will think this is crawling but genuinely the man has been unbelievable. He just let's us get on with it. Even when Jim and I were pulling our hair out he backed us all the way. He never once panicked. We were always confident in the job we were doing but he made us even more positive. You get businessmen and chairmen who are ruthless, and I am not saying Roy isn't like that, but there is a refreshing honesty about him that makes you think you want to do the job for this guy.

Looking forward to the post-split fixtures being released today now. We're due 3 at home, St. Mirren, Hamilton & Partick. I'm not fussed the order, but I'd like a home game for our first post-split game. Also good to see that every post split fixture should be at the weekend provided Sky or BT don't shift them about too much.

While we've got to keep up our form to ensure our survival still, I think we're just as likely (if not more likely) to finish 7th than 11th now.

Looking forward to the post-split fixtures being released today now. We're due 3 at home, St. Mirren, Hamilton & Partick. I'm not fussed the order, but I'd like a home game for our first post-split game. Also good to see that every post split fixture should be at the weekend provided Sky or BT don't shift them about too much.

While we've got to keep up our form to ensure our survival still, I think we're just as likely (if not more likely) to finish 7th than 11th now.

St Mirren at home coupled with Motherwell vs Partick first up would be great.

Goals table:

Boyce x 7

Curran x 5

Gardyne x 4

De Vita x 3

Jervis x 3

P.Quinn x 3

Arquin x 2

Carey x 2

Dingwall x 2

Irvine x 2

Maatsen x 2

Fraser x 1

Reckord x 1

Woods x 1

Assists table:

Gardyne x 7

Boyce x 4

Carey x 4

De Vita x 4

Woods x 4

Irvine x 3

Reckord x 3

Kiss x 2

Arquin x 1

Boyd x 1

Cardle x 1

Curran x 1

Dingwall x 1

Jervis x 1

R.Quinn x 1

---

Kiss has 7 yellow cards (already suspended)

Irvine has 6 yellows (suspension due for next game)

Carey has 5

Woods has 5

Brittain has 4

Boyd has 4

Reckord has 4

Paul Quinn has 4

Fraser has 3

---

Spain stated earlier that Irvine has been present in every Ross County win so far. He and Boyce missed the draw at Hamilton - would they have tipped the edge? Irvine will miss Partick Thistle on Saturday, so hopefully that is a record that will soon become obsolete.

Combining goals and assists, Boyce and Gardyne are at 11 each. That backs up my general impression that they have been County's best players in the unbeaten run. Considering that Gardyne doesn't take corners, seven assists is a great return.

Curran gets an assist based on his shot at St Mirren that was rebounded for Boyce. Curran tends not to create chances for others, but the importance of his ability to keep the ball stick up front, by laying off to the wide players, shouldn't be underestimated.

Reckord appears to be more prolific than Oikonomou ever was.

Hopefully we can win our next two games so we can start looking to tie some players up for next year.

Top of the list: Gardyne, Boyce & De Vita. Then probably Quinn, Curran & Boyd.

Still think there could be better options out there than Woods & Kiss etc. though.

Woods has been immense for me over the last 2 months, very fit and deceptively fast also.

He is obviously a real favourite for J Mac too.

He's certainly found something extra. His and the team's fine run were both kicked off by his cracking finish against Motherwell in February - I'll always remember him for that fact, if nothing else. We may be able to improve on him, but I think he's earned the chance to stay, and I'd be glad to keep him even if he turns out to be backup.

I find it difficult to believe that people on OTB would even suggest the likes of Rocco Quinn getting a new contract. He's been nothing more than a ghost since we reached the SPL/Premiership. This quality of the squad suggests he wouldn't even get on the bench anyways.

I never rated Martin Woods to begin with, however the fact he was battling to get full fitness along with the fact he was playing in a side with no confidence/still not JM's "own player". Undoubtedly the most consistent player over the past 9 games (with the exception of his set pieces at times). This guy oozes quality and without a doubt should be resigned. Who could we realistically get that's better?

There is a very small number of player currently that IMO don't deserve to be retained based on quality or performances, the likes of ; Cardle, Saunders, Quinn, Rugero, Jervis and possibly Carey?

Hopefully in due course we will get the news we all desire and the nucleus of the squad is retained as this is a team with great potential.

Edited by StoneThrowAway

Bin:

Reguero

Saunders

Barr

Dunfield

Cardle

Jervis

Ross

Unsure:

Meite

Palazuelos

Quinn (Rocco)

Sernas

Brown is rubbish but he's down on the offishal site as a "Goalkeeper - Coach". If he stays then he can't possibly be the #1 next season, a new (competent) goalkeeper should be a priority.

It would be nice to bring back Gardyne, Irvine, Kiss, and even Burgess, next season. However it does seem unlikely that Kiss or Burgess would return - Kiss isn't starting games* (I've voiced my views on this before) and Fulham would presumably be reluctant to send Burgess back on-loan to a team that doesn't even put him on the bench.

*His wage demands would surely be too high to justify a permanent contract?