The General Ross County Chat Thread

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, you can't write off MacLeans wins (he won 3 games in 6 while Cowie won 4 in 16) but also include fluke ones like the Rangers result when they're in complete disarray. They chuck these losses out randomly every time they're under pressure.

He averages under 1pt a game if you're ignoring "dead rubber" end of season games too (for your opponents), all while having Dhanda and Murray.

The idea he's "proven" at anything is fanciful at best, and deluded at worst.

He took over at a time when there was still a very strong chance of finishing last. The team hadn’t won a game in months and he turned them into a competitive side again. His points return wasn’t amazing in that period, granted, but the difference in performances from individuals who just weeks before had looked like they couldn’t care less proves his worth as a manager - don’t think that’s delusional to say at all? It wasn’t just a couple games either; we were competitive in every game other than Motherwell and Livingston and should’ve taken all 3 points in our last 2 games whilst only taking 2. 

Just now, Matty-RCFC said:

He took over at a time when there was still a very strong chance of finishing last. The team hadn’t won a game in months and he turned them into a competitive side again. His points return wasn’t amazing in that period, granted, but the difference in performances from individuals who just weeks before had looked like they couldn’t care less

You on about Cowie or MacLean here?

6 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

MacLean sounds like the second coming of Guardiola the way you carry on.

You'll see the irony about how you're talking up Cowie, I'm sure.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'll see the irony about how you're talking up Cowie, I'm sure.

My intention isn’t to talk Cowie up. I’m simply stating that I believe the comparisons to those mentioned above are chalk and cheese, and that Cowie has definitely proven, to County fans at least, his salt.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

The idea he's "proven" at anything is fanciful at best, and deluded at worst.

Have to agree but as a follow on from Mackay and Adams, it looks like a good appointment to me. We are still at risk of going down, and probably the favourite, but the atmosphere around the club and fans just feels better and I’m all for that. He came back as coach and there was clearly the expectation that he would become manager at some point.

is this all about fans wanting the local boy above other candidates? Of course there’s some that always want “locals” whether players or managers but this is more about stability. This is about the longer term. He won’t be thrown out if we go down. It’s unlikely that he will chuck it if the worst happens, but it’s also unlikely that he will walk away if he does well and other clubs come calling.

of course he not proven but I believe he’s the best appointment we could have made in this situation.

48 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

My intention isn’t to talk Cowie up. I’m simply stating that I believe the comparisons to those mentioned above are chalk and cheese, and that Cowie has definitely proven, to County fans at least, his salt.

You literally said he was a proven manager at this level.

25 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Alex Iacovitti has signed for St Mirren. He’ll do well there. 

Will he?  I’m not convinced he’s that fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Alex Iacovitti has signed for St Mirren. He’ll do well there. 

51 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I liked the guy but he was an average centre half, at the VERY best for us. His distribution, ability on the ball & pace were very poor. He was a big strong lad who won his fair share of high balls & physical duels but imo Ross County replaced him with a superior defender in Ryan Leak.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You literally said he was a proven manager at this level.

I said he’s proven his worth as a manager to County fans and has earned the right to be in the role. Didn’t say anything about being a proven manager at this level; whatever that means. 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I think he’ll be an absolutely fine backup centre half that can come on whenever they’re winning and see out a game. I imagine that’s what he’ll have signed for. Don’t think he’ll start week in, week out for them.

On 15/07/2024 at 09:47, Pete the Jakey said:

County are 1000/1 to win the league - I like those odds and have just placed £5.59 (the contents of my account).

Leicester were 5,000/1 to win the Premier League in 2016, so you're basically printing money there.

2 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Would rather have Iacovitti over Ricki Lamie........

I had completely forgotten about that.  Yes, and it’s not close.  I can only assume Lamie comes a lot cheaper.

Would like to think we asked the question to Iacovitti about coming back, he’s decent enough but also had the odd bombscare moment , nothing for st mirren to get that excited about but also a solid enough centre half

25 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I had completely forgotten about that.  Yes, and it’s not close.  I can only assume Lamie comes a lot cheaper.

St.Mirren paid a fee for Iacovitti so I'd assume so.