The General Ross County Chat Thread

I LOVE MARC KLOK

He's great innit. If he adds the first time switch of play into his game, he would arguably be as good as Lawson already.

I wrote a long post after the Forres game on OTB, including some thoughts that Maatsen will be some player when he has the confidence to drive at his full-back. Boy, did we see that tonight! He won't get away with so many tricks in the SPL, but he beat his man with a few of them and showed some variation in his game. What continually impresses me about him is his willingness to cover in at right-back as well - there was one point where Boyd went on a run, so Kovacevic tucked in to centre-back and Maatsen to right-back. It was all pretty seamless. On the other hand, Sproule showed his goal threat with his off the ball runs in the second half - it's going to be difficult to choose between them.

The Lion went off shortly after his early assists in the second half and County had to play the rest of the game with ten men (again). I hope he's ok, because he looks quality. I'm glad County have some of these guys on two year deals.

Glen has disappointed me in his two halves since Saturday. He offers barely no sideways movement, drops deep very occasionally but generally makes life easy for centre-backs. Luckassen showed more in the first five minutes of the second half, after coming on, than I saw from Glen over 90 minutes.

Edited by bunglebonce

Too much excitement about players doing well in pre-season in here, I've seen plenty of folk look like world beaters in pre-season then just die a death in competitive games

I have a feeling that last night's starting XI will be close to what Derek Adams considers his first choice team, give or take a couple of positions. Another signing and fitting Steven Saunders in might change things. I won't see County again in the flesh for another month now and a lot can change until then, but County already looked settled yesterday evening in comparison to Saturday against Forres.

I did think Brittain would be first choice for the '1' in the 4-1-4-1, but I didn't think Klok would be as good as he's shown thus far. I think we'll see a lot of Klok from the beginning, then Brittain and another in the middle - probably Quinn but there's nothing between him and Kettlewell.

County went 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-1-1 in different halves again last night and it was interesting to see Steven Ross used as the attacking midfielder/deep forward in the latter set-up. It wasn't long until de Leeuw was off, but latterly he played behind Luckassen and Sproule as a loose pairing. I just don't see him as that type of player, to be honest: he looked his best last night when he was getting on to the end of someone else's play.

Still, it's all about the fitness.

I won't see County again in the flesh for another month now and a lot can change until then, but County already looked settled yesterday evening in comparison to Saturday against Forres.

But, but, but.... Without your post-match insights how am I going to understand what I've just witnessed at these games? ;)

I haven't made it to a pre-season game yet, too much on the last few weeks. Sounds like my pre-season will only consist of Man Utd. (h), Den Bosch (a) & PEC Zwolle (a). Doesn't sound too shabby *insert smug face*. I may end up venturing to Nairn next week though.

Pleased with all the reports I'm hearing though, especially with Klok. Let's just hope these lads can do it week in, week out.

What continually impresses me about him is his willingness to cover in at right-back as well - there was one point where Boyd went on a run, so Kovacevic tucked in to centre-back and Maatsen to right-back.

That was evident at Brora as well, one minute tearing up the wing/in the opposition box and the next cutting out a cross in the RB position.

Glen has disappointed me in his two halves since Saturday. He offers barely no sideways movement, drops deep very occasionally but generally makes life easy for centre-backs. Luckassen showed more in the first five minutes of the second half, after coming on, than I saw from Glen over 90 minutes.

Like McMenamin/Craig/Byrne last season, I suspect Glen will be released in time for the January sales if he doesn't perform, it's probably his last chance.

Surprised Glen still gets game time for you guys. I'd say he's a upper reaches first division player at best.

Yes, perfect for us next season before anyone else says it :(

We are strong. Don't worry.

Pitch looks good. Is that more of the same temporary style seating that we have going in there?

Yep, same "temporary" style seating as The Jailend, North Stand, East Stand Extension (Nr.1) and both ends of your ground.

I must say, IMO it's going to look even more of a cracking little ground after this.

It's certainly looking that way at the moment. I'm definitely going to try and make it up for one of Hearts' away games this season.