The General Ross County Chat Thread

What do you think of Brian McLean? Apparently he is training with us.

Never looked good enough for us, but the majority of our defence was honking for the majority of last season.

He did have some good games, but was found wanting quite a lot of the time.

Not great pace, not great positioning, not great user of the ball, but a big physical CB who will put in a shift.

Maybe with a decent solid system around him and some confidence he'll be alright, but with us he looked a Bottom 6 player at best.

Would like to see him do ok, but obviously not at the expense of us staying up!

Edited by dingdong1929

Yet Wimbledon fans reckoned he was too good for Scotland, their player of the year and wanted a better deal than they could afford? Hmm.

I sound a bit like a broken record on this, but basically, League 2 isn't as good as the Scottish Premiership. I went to see Carlisle vs Luton on the first day of the season - it should have showcased the best of the league as Carlisle had just been relegated from League 1 and Luton were promoted after romping the Conference and are now flying high. The quality was dire. Carlisle were agricultural at best and whilst Luton tried hard and at least attempted to play passing football, they weren't very good at it.

So whilst Fenlon might well have been a shining light in League 2 last year, it's apparent he couldn't make the step up to a higher level at this stage in his career.

A lot of that will not be new to a lot of people. The Adams family, for all their success, had become a cancer to our club and were slowly killing it from the inside. The attitudes described in that article weren't just limited to the players, it was symptomatic of how they dealt with everyone at the club... including even the Chairman.

A lot of that will not be new to a lot of people. The Adams family, for all their success, had become a cancer to our club and were slowly killing it from the inside. The attitudes described in that article weren't just limited to the players, it was symptomatic of how they dealt with everyone at the club... including even the Chairman.

I think some of the tone and language used by Adams in interviews since shows that, some of it was quite arrogant and dismissive of others involved at the club. That's him in diplomatic mode in the media getting his side across, wtf was he like behind closed doors after a narrow loss to St Johnstone?

Yeah, I'm not surprised that Derek & George were fucking eejits. But “I don’t think I've ever met such terrible people in football as Derek and George Adams. It was impossible to have a normal conversation with them." is pretty damning. I mean it's just basic shit.

I really don't understand how he managed to get the team behind him in that incredible First Division winning season, or the first year in the SPL. The players must have bought into it but I certainly know how I'd react to a boss like that. And it'd not be positive, at best I'd keep my head down and do the bare minimum effort-wise.

I would imagine that it was very easy for Adams to stay calm when his team is winning every week. There was always reports of communication failures between Adams and individual players. He was compared what he was doing with Sir Alex Ferguson, but Man United were a huge club that could get away with ostracising a player, as they had players of similar quality to take in.

The leaving out Lawson after the Raith game, the replacing Vigurs before offering him a contract, the hanging out Munro to dry after the Motherwell game, even Brittain wanted to leave and lastly freeing Kettlewell and the player reading about it in the paper. All examples of poor man management. If he could mis manager players that you would think would be relatively straight forward to manage, I can only imagine how bad it got for players who didn't perform as well as expected.

He achieved incredible success with us, but I think it is more to do with the success of the players like Brittain, Vigurs, Lawson, Munro, Kettlewell, Gardyne and Boyd.