The General Ross County Chat Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Tyrone Smith confirming on Twitter that Melvin De Leeuw has been released and is returning to the Netherlands. Sad to see him go, a terrific player and one of the most talented that I've seen at the club. Great hair as well.

<<<Sobbing uncontrollably

Was fairly clear over the last 48 hours he has gone.

He cited personal seasons.

He wants to go Home to Netherlands. No chance he would sign for any other team in Scotland.

We did turn down a healthy offer in the summer fromSt Johnstone for him.

He has been a shadow of last season I'm his brief appearances this year. Won't see his girlfriend again either!

He wants to go Home to Netherlands. No chance he would sign for any other team in Scotland.

County wouldn't sign the release papers for him to sign for another club in Scotland, even if he wanted to continue on in Scotland. Which it seems he doesn't.

It's a shame, because he is so talented and ought to have been the pivotal player in the team.

I'm a big fan of De Leeuw, surprised to see him go.

There was talk (not just rumour but "fact" going by what many were saying) before an away game against Partick Thistle in January that people were struggling to adjust to life in the Highlands. There was also transfer talk in several papers over the summer that he was wanting a move away from Scotland.

I was surprised by his absence from the team this season, but if his head wasn't in the right place (+ fitness concerns, although I'd take a MDL that can only play 60-70 minutes ahead of anyone else in that #10 role) then it explains why he wasn't heavily involved. It's a blow but not as bad a blow as it would be if he was playing every week.

For all the talk of "local lads for a local team", County have had a lot of success with foreign players and De Leeuw was arguably the best of the lot. Loved this finish last season:

There was talk (not just rumour but "fact" going by what many were saying) before an away game against Partick Thistle in January that people were struggling to adjust to life in the Highlands. There was also transfer talk in several papers over the summer that he was wanting a move away from Scotland.

I was surprised by his absence from the team this season, but if his head wasn't in the right place (+ fitness concerns, although I'd take a MDL that can only play 60-70 minutes ahead of anyone else in that #10 role) then it explains why he wasn't heavily involved. It's a blow but not as bad a blow as it would be if he was playing every week.

For all the talk of "local lads for a local team", County have had a lot of success with foreign players and De Leeuw was arguably the best of the lot. Loved this finish last season:

If that's the genuine reason then fair enough.

Good player, disappointed to see him go, but understand his reasoning. Hasn't featured much in the team recently, presumably for his personal reasons, so his departure hopefully won't have as big as impact as it might have. Wish him luck for the future.

Edited by Cyclizine

Saw him in the pre-season games and the development leagues games, fast, skillful, could beat a player or two. Would never have coped at LB here though (which is where we played him), and we are over-loaded with midfielders.

Would have been a good one to keep in development league for the season, but obviously wanted home, or Jim didn't fancy him.

Our foreign legion is slowly but surely disintegrating. Who is next? Celcer/Balk/Dreesen/Maatsen take your pick.

Edited by StuartTaylor

Saw him in the pre-season games and the development leagues games, fast, skillful, could beat a player or two. Would never have coped at LB here though (which is where we played him), and we are over-loaded with midfielders.

Would have been a good one to keep in development league for the season, but obviously wanted home, or Jim didn't fancy him.

Our foreign legion is slowly but surely disintegrating. Who is next? Celcer/Balk/Dreesen/Maatsen take your pick.

Don't rate Celcer or Dreesen, particularly Dreesen, I think he's barely made a handful of tackles and blocks in all his First XI appearances combined, not convinced he's won a header at all yet. Like Balk and Maatsen though, would be keen to keep them. Would be more keen to see them get more chances in first team.

There's a lot of change to come yet. Not even some of JM''s signings will be about for that long.

Aye a lot of them were short-term signings with a view to proving fitness/worth. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few leave at Xmas.