The General Ross County Chat Thread

You've changed your tune!

Have I?

AFAIK my last two comments on him are firstly to your question asking if people are calling for him to go:

"It's building. Home to Motherwell tomorrow is make-or-break for County's season.

I said elsewhere in November that the middle of February would be the time to judge him."

Then:

"I like McIntyre more than the majority I reckon, but his team selections and tactics make it difficult to defend him sometimes. I hope he proves us all wrong today."

Despite the countless signings, I think McIntyre has been looking long term more than many of us appreciate and it's starting to become more noticeable in the small details as well as the results. I'm under no illusion that County have beaten great teams, but I still have hope of him shaping the team in the manner that Queen of the South were in just before he left.

Edited by bunglebonce

I feel a lot of hate in this post. This was not my intent.

Not at all! Sarcasm, irony, whooshing (if I understand this conecpt correctly) were all possibly involved to one degree or another in our little exchange, but certainly not hatred. You're in my sig, bro! (Although you never did explain/prove to me why I was wrong to put you there...)

Not at all! Sarcasm, irony, whooshing (if I understand this conecpt correctly) were all possibly involved to one degree or another in our little exchange, but certainly not hatred. You're in my sig, bro! (Although you never did explain/prove to me why I was wrong to put you there...)

I can't remember why I said you were wrong tbh, probably just bullshitting to try and save face.

FWIW I did think you were an alias to start with, as anyone who just suddenly appears with such panache is always likely to quirk the feathers of alias spotters. I can only apologise, as I was clearly wrong.

bunglebonce, on 21 Feb 2015 - 19:55, said:

Have I?

AFAIK my last two comments on him are firstly to your question asking if people are calling for him to go:

"It's building. Home to Motherwell tomorrow is make-or-break for County's season.

I said elsewhere in November that the middle of February would be the time to judge him."

I was more meaning about the quality in the squad being too good to go down. But still, to go from that, to being willing to keep him even if relegated is a jump!

Arquin getting brutal reports from Aberdeen fans and St Mirren fans alike today, mainly for being 'invisible'.

Excellent. Going by his career history , i dont think he ever regains form for teams, only when he moves teams. Hopefully this doesnt bite me in the arse.

Such a good player in there, thank crap our relegation rivals dont look as they can tap into it either.

I was more meaning about the quality in the squad being too good to go down. But still, to go from that, to being willing to keep him even if relegated is a jump!

I gave an an attempt at an objective response in my first answer, it wasn't my own personal opinion about the situation. The second was my own opinion about the manager, not about the quality of the squad.

I think there are some better players in the squad than in the first XI just now and I specifically said elsewhere that Curran doesn't have quality (he proved me wrong apart from a shocker of a pen). McIntyre has a winning team keeping arguably better players out, which bodes well for the last run of fixtures into the split.

County have strength in depth in every area now. Some of the players fit but who didn't even make the match squad include Abdoulaye Meite, Steven Saunders, Rubén Palazuelos and Graham Carey. They're all players who could have a positive impact at Motherwell and St Mirren just now IMO and that is the main driver to my comment about the quality of the squad.

I realise it seems quite laughably prophetic given only goal difference separates three clubs. It might well bite me in the back side. But if the others outperform County from here, now that County have got themselves in a position to save their season with a more lenient set of fixtures and a stronger squad on the whole, it wouldn't look good on the management.

Edited by bunglebonce

I'd still reserve judgement on the management team until the end of the season, two swallows don't make a summer and all that guff, but it is starting to look positive for them.

At the meeting with fans I was surprised to hear Roy say, and repeat, that he was far more confident than he was at the same time last season. At that time we were six(?) points behind, but he was sure we would stay up. That tells me that he has confidence in both the management and the squad. He also said that the close of the January transfer window was the end of the short term culture and the start of long term planning.

I guess that, barring something quite unexpected, JM will be here next season with as much of the squad as he wants, can persuade to stay and can afford, around him. I feel a lot more confident about the whole set up but the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

He also said that the close of the January transfer window was the end of the short term culture and the start of long term planning.

Since then County have recruited James Ross from Brora, the young right-back I've seen in the DL matches in the last couple of weeks. He looks a good prospect. They've also brought a chap over from Cork, Cian Upton, who I can't find much about apart from scoring goals in a futsal team.

McIntyre showed at Queen of the south that he's good for a long-term plan before he was head-hunted. If we go down I'd still like to see him shape the squad.

Edited by bunglebonce

Since then County have recruited James Ross from Brora, the young right-back I've seen in the DL matches in the last couple of weeks. He looks a good prospect. They've also brought a chap over from Cork, Cian Upton, who I can't find much about apart from scoring goals in a futsal team.

Both of those are news to me! Interesting.

Some lunchtime stats from league matches:

Goals table

Boyce x 3

Jervis x 3

P.Quinn x 3

Carey x 2

Curran x 2

Gardyne x 2

De Vita x 2

Dingwall x 2

Maatsen x 2

Arquin x 2

Irvine x 1

Fraser x 1

Woods x 1

Direct Assists table:

Carey x 4

Gardyne x 4

Woods x 3

Irvine x 2

Kiss x 2

Boyce x 2

Reckord x 2

De Vita x 2

Cardle x 1

Arquin x 1

R.Quinn x 1

Boyd x 1

Jervis x 1

Assorted observations:

• Our top scorers still only have three goals :lol: It's good that the scoring is spread evenly though.
  • De Vita has only played about 150 minutes and has two goals and two assists. What an impact.
  • I think Carey doesn't have a goal or assist since the 3-0 win at Kilmarnock in November 13 matches ago, at which point he was one of the leading players in the league for comparing goals+assists together.
  • Despite the weekly debate about Scott Boyd, he's made 20 starts, more than anyone else (Brittain is next on 18).
  • Carey has two assists and Woods one from taking corners, so that puts Gardyne well clear in the assists chart for goals created in open play.
  • Gardyne has four assists and two goals from 11 starts and two sub appearances; Cardle has one assist and no goals from 11 starts and six sub appearances.
  • Carey and Irvine each have five yellow cards; Reckord and Brittain have four.
  • It's strange not seeing Brittain lead the goals and assists chart, but it's been a funny season.

Late to this debate probably but I reckon Jim Mc should be kept on especially if you are relegated.

As mentioned before he got that QOS team into decent shape before he left and he has good experience at championship level so will know what it takes in that hell hole of a league.

Id like to add I don't see county in the relegation mix come the end of the season. You are already beating the teams around you which is key when the split happens. I also expect you to beat us next week - always struggle against you lot! Are we the only team not to beat you this season?

Brittain missed one in the 0-4 loss at Hamilton.

Do you have the stats for RB's penalties for Ross County?

He has missed two against St Mirren, although he netted the rebound in the second miss against St Mirren. I can't recall him missing any others bar the one you mentioned at Hamilton.