The General Ross County Chat Thread

Yeah I saw the Woods bit aswell but couldn't find anything. Seems it's not confirmed yet as it's still subject to a medical but seems a done deal. I'm not overly fussed to be honest, I don't rate Woods anywhere near as much as others do.

I was told, so it could well be rubbish, that Woods' family are still down south so him signing the contract offered was always a long shot.

He did well for us, and I think we did well for him too. All the best to him and thanks for your part in turning out season around, best of luck wherever you head to next :)

Agreed with the above synopsis on Woods, although frustrating at times, he played his part in our strong second half of the season, and although we've got a strong looking squad shaping up for next year, I'm keen to see a solid middle pair replicating the Woods-Irivine Partnership.

A shame for him that one of his last significant contributions was setting up a Killie goal, he was certainly better than that for the most part!

With the general emotion of the end to our season, Brittain moving on, and so on, I have found myself looking through a good few youtube clips from the last few seasons.

OH, HOW, I, LONG... to once again have A COUPLE of players in our squad who you EXPECT to score just about any time we're awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. Remember how valuable those were to us, how many of tchem we got when Vigurs and Brittain were on form and we were generally struggling to score from open play? Imagine having one of tchem just now, IN ADDITION to guys like Boyce and Gardyne.

(Apologies for every time the word THEM comes up as TCHEM in my posts. I bought this computer in Poland, it does it automatically, I need to reinstall! In fact, every spelling mistake I ever make, and actually every rubbish post I ever contribute, is because of that.)

^^^ Polish computer also keeps adding antlers to every picture :(

I saw RB score a couple of cracking goals from free-kicks in the DL in the last couple of months. He also apparently scored a screamer in the last away game.

The only time County threatened with a DFK in the second half of this season was when Woods wasn't over the ball.

I saw RB score a couple of cracking goals from free-kicks in the DL in the last couple of months. He also apparently scored a screamer in the last away game.

The only time County threatened with a DFK in the second half of this season was when Woods wasn't over the ball.

Anytime I saw him stand over a dead ball I resigned myself to it not threatening at all. I don't actually recall him getting a shot on target from one. I'm sure it always went wide, over or into the wall.

According to some QOS fans, he has a ready made replacement in that regard with Lovejoy. Who actually looks similar to Woods in some respects.

At the moment McShane and Rocco are the only central midfielders though, so it'll be interesting to see where else we go.

Anytime I saw him stand over a dead ball I resigned myself to it not threatening at all. I don't actually recall him getting a shot on target from one. I'm sure it always went wide, over or into the wall.

He brought a save from a FK shooting into the away end once, but it was essentially a side foot shot and never had the power to beat the goalkeeper.

That's some cracking news on Gardyne & Boyd. And wish Woods the best of luck down south, sounds like McShane is a like-for-like replacement so that's not a huge loss.

Mind you, I'm starting to worry, I felt some mild optimism going into last season too.

Yeah I saw the Woods bit aswell but couldn't find anything. Seems it's not confirmed yet as it's still subject to a medical but seems a done deal. I'm not overly fussed to be honest, I don't rate Woods anywhere near as much as others do.

Who rates Woods? I think Woods has been helped with how fucking dreadful he was at the start of his County career. Zero to hero but not quite the hero! I guess it's people on OTB that rate him, as I haven't really read that here. I am not as shocked about Brittain's release now if Woods is going as well. Still would love to see Brittain rattle in another penalty though for County.

Great news on Boyd and Gardyne. Gardyne just fits County. Pleased for them both.

Delighted with Boyd and Gardyne staying! Just tremendous news.

Feel bad saying i'm quite relieved Woods is off, i just feel we could do better. Which we have an opportunity to try to do now.

Agree with Stagsby about how nice it was to have players who can threaten from a freekick! Boyce hit a decent one at Killie at the weekend, hopefully its one more arrow in his quiver of genius.

Really keen to see Paul Quinn sign up now. He really came onto a game, both defensively and with the ball at his feet. Capable of showing real composure coming out of defence, he really impressed me last few months.

Really.

Edited by dingdong1929

I was a Woods fan. To my eye did a power of work, didn't stand out in a Ketts/Richie/Vigurs way, but flanked by two pretty attack minded wide men him and J.I had to do a lot of work in the middle. Goal against Motherwell was a cracker and an important one early on in our run.

Good luck to him.

Interesting to see who's going to be coming in.

Is McShane going to be an instant shoe-in who our midfields going to be built around? Or someone who will be integrated gradually? If the latter I would say we still need a couple of substantial CM signings.

Nice to see Boyd and Gardiner both signing up. Very nice indeed.

Woods always felt like he was just filling in as a temp. He was alright but I wasn't a fan. His free-kick against ICT (in Inverness) will live long in the memory. That veeeeeeeeeeeee-neck though :o

Edit: He was clearly a talented player, it's just that I didn't think the County team was suited to getting the best out of Woods.

Edited by yoda