The General Ross County Chat Thread

I saw bits of the game on Periscope last night - the majority of the first half and just the start of the second - so many thanks to those who did the broadcast. 

Some assorted thoughts on it:

• Cikos looked like the player of old, he and Franks dovetailed on the right hand side quite well.  Fraser will have a job keeping his place in the team.
  • Curran looked to get through it OK
  • Woods hit a belter of a free-kick from 25 yards against the bar.  He and Irvine looked very composed in the middle, but were given so much time to play from deep so there wasn't much to learn from that.
  • McCarey seemed bright and busy in his box. I never really saw the goal conceded but I saw descriptions of a shot trickling past him.

Fox

Cikos Robertson Davies Van der Weg

Gardyne McShane Irvine Dingwall

Curran Graham

Curran went off with a knock after 5 mins, I don't think it was a head knock though.  Irvine scored shortly after that. Graham missed a pen and the opposition scored a free-kick. It finished 1-1.  There will have been plenty subs in the second half, I think Routis and Woods came on for the two CMs and Foster came on for Van der Weg at the very least.

I didn't watch it on Periscope but that's the info I saw.  

Edited by bunglebonce

Cikos was the stand out for me in Friday's game. Linked very well with Midge on the right.

No mention on Curran's injury yet, that was unfortunate. With Cikos, Van der Weg and Routis, (no sign of McEveley on Friday) we definitely have a 'bigger presence'. 

All gone a bit quiet on the transfer front.  No news?   Looking at how the squad is shaping up I still think we are short of wingers.  Assuming we are going to set up in a 4-4-2 formation next season the only players we currently have who could play wide right and left are Gardyne and Franks.  I dont like the prospect of Foster or Dingwall out wide in midfield.  

I thought Foster played pretty well in midfield in the Paks game before having to drop back to cover for VdW when he went off injured. I suspect that's where we'll see the most of him this year. I think Jim said we may still take players in, but others would have to move out first (even on loan). I would hope we'd send Tony to a Championship side for some regular football and bring another winger in but who knows.

I want to see a winger come in who is much quicker over 20 yards than the average full-back and can put the opposition on the back foot.

I'm not sold on Foster as that kind of winger.  His touch and dribbling is more erratic than the others.  He can put in a good cross with his right, but that's mostly when he has the chance to set himself.  He suits the system well though and is a good 'defensive' winger like how he was used sometimes in the first half of the 15/16 season.

Assuming Cikos and McEveley/VdW will be the first-choice full-backs at the start of the season, Foster is a good versatile option to have on the bench.

2-2 with Brora tonight at the HFA, in a game that wasn't announced but there were probably 100 at along the touchline.

First half team:

Fox

Tumilty Davies VdWeg Foster

Gardyne Irvine Woods T.Dingwall

Graham Schalk

The right-back is an u20 player that has joined for the DL team.  I turned up at 35 minutes and not much happened in the ten minutes until the break.  It was 0-0 at half-time.

Second half team:

McCarey

Cikos Brownlie Boyd McLaughlin 

Franks Routis McShane R.Dingwall

Morrison Boyce

Darren Brownlie is another u20 player.

It was a lopsided formation - Franks on the right was the only wide player.  Russell Dingwall was a third central midfielder who sometimes went left.  Boyce drifted left a lot and had a fair bit of the ball by doing that.  McLaughlin had most of the left flank to his own.

Within a minute of the restart, Brownlie sprayed a 50 yard ball to the left on to Boyce's toes, who held the ball up and played in McLaughlin to cut back across goal for a Morrison tap in for 1-0.

Brownlie then cocked up, stumbling over the ball after looking like he handled it, letting Brora in behind the defence for 1-1.

Routis played a ball into the left channel for Boyce to get behind the defence and square for Morrison for another tap in, 2-1.

Brownlie tried to be too clever on the ball and fell over it again, Brora got behind the defence again, 2-2.  He generally looked a decent player and capable defender, but those howlers will mean he won't get near the first team this season.  Morrison was in the right place at the right time on both occasions and was unlucky not to get on to a third in a similar manner, but doesn't have good enough link-up play to threaten the first team yet.  Russell still needs to fill out a lot. McLaughlin's crosses were good but yet not brilliant, but he looked the best of the DL guys.

Boyce looked good.  He never got a chance at goal, with some good last-ditch defending stopping him from scoring, but he played in others very well.  Routis looked big and strong with a range of passing on him, but he gave the impression he might not look so good under more pressure.  Franks took the ball down to a couple of diagonals toward him, and had a great chance from a chipped ball over the top by McShane but volleyed it left-footed straight at the keeper.  County looked a lot more dynamic in the second half than the 10 mins I saw of the first, with lots of chipped balls over the defence and switches in play to either side.  Cikos looked great.

Brora was a good competitive test as you'd expect, and it was entirely comfortable but for a couple of Brownlie clangers.  The team looks in good shape.

Edited by bunglebonce

21 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

2-2 with Brora tonight at the HFA, in a game that wasn't announced but there were probably 100 at along the touchline.

First half team:

Fox

Tumilty Davies VdWeg Foster

Gardyne Irvine Woods T.Dingwall

Graham Schalk

The right-back is an u20 player that has joined for the DL team.  I turned up at 35 minutes and not much happened in the ten minutes until the break.  It was 0-0 at half-time.

Second half team:

McCarey

Cikos Brownlie Boyd McLaughlin 

Franks Routis McShane R.Dingwall

Morrison Boyce

Darren Brownlie is another u20 player.

It was a lopsided formation - Franks on the right was the only wide player.  Russell Dingwall was a third central midfielder who sometimes went left.  Boyce drifted left a lot and had a fair bit of the ball by doing that.  McLaughlin had most of the left flank to his own.

Within a minute of the restart, Brownlie sprayed a 50 yard ball to the left on to Boyce's toes, who held the ball up and played in McLaughlin to cut back across goal for a Morrison tap in for 1-0.

Brownlie then cocked up, stumbling over the ball after looking like he handled it, letting Brora in behind the defence for 1-1.

Routis played a ball into the left channel for Boyce to get behind the defence and square for Morrison for another tap in, 2-1.

Brownlie tried to be too clever on the ball and fell over it again, Brora got behind the defence again, 2-2.  He generally looked a decent player and capable defender, but those howlers will mean he won't get near the first team this season.  Morrison was in the right place at the right time on both occasions and was unlucky not to get on to a third in a similar manner, but doesn't have good enough link-up play to threaten the first team yet.  Russell still needs to fill out a lot. McLaughlin's crosses were good but yet not brilliant, but he looked the best of the DL guys.

Boyce looked good.  He never got a chance at goal, with some good last-ditch defending stopping him from scoring, but he played in others very well.  Routis looked big and strong with a range of passing on him, but he gave the impression he might not look so good under more pressure.  Franks took the ball down to a couple of diagonals toward him, and had a great chance from a chipped ball over the top by McShane but volleyed it left-footed straight at the keeper.  County looked a lot more dynamic in the second half than the 10 mins I saw of the first, with lots of chipped balls over the defence and switches in play to either side.  Cikos looked great.

Brora was a good competitive test as you'd expect, and it was entirely comfortable but for a couple of Brownlie clangers.  The team looks in good shape.

I am sure young Darren will be encouraged with your clinical "assessment". Cocked up/ Clangers - Jaysus! 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It'll be much better for his development if everyone tells him how great hes doing when hes making f**k ups tbh

Works for Joe Hart.

22 minutes ago, Jayhawks said:

It was "red top" language and jars with the serious "analysis" which pours from you. 

16 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I didn't realise I was writing for a broadsheet here.

Yes Bungle you should be using phrases like "Tokelyesque" defending.  That way the ICT board might be tricked into parting with cash for our prize donkey.