The General Ross County Chat Thread

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

His knee is goosed.  No idea which one.  But yeah 6 months sounds about right.  Him and Doran have been crocked for ages and they are/were 2 of our top earners.

Our injuries since we won the cup in 2015 have been fucking disgusting.  There's something not right.

Aye, some notable absentees the last year or so, that site saying Doran has been out since Hearts in February. 
Hopefully it's just been bad luck....

6 months out with an unclear knee injury doesn't bode well for Meekings; hopefully he's got a good idea of what's wrong, and how to fix it, but it might help explain why he's not been snapped up yet.

Edited by dingdong1929

17 minutes ago, Defender said:

Going by his Instagram, looks like the club and Martin Woods have come to an agreement and he's off elsewhere. More wages free'd up for hopefully a good strong midfielder.

Link?

Defensively we were a shambles for a while and I'm glad this has been addressed by Jim and billy. Fraser as a CB is a solid paring with Andrew Davies, Fraser will continue to get better and better as the season(s) go by. Andrew Davies for me is the best centre back in a county shirt I have seen, definitely the best header of a ball I've seen. Fraser will learn a lot from Davies and his experience. With kelly and Naismith on either side of a back 4 I'd comfortably say we have one of the best defences in the league. Not forgetting Scott Fox and how many terrific saves he makes week in week out. Naismith a massively underrated player who's consistency is a great aspect of his game. Kelly has impressed early enough and I have confidence he'll get better. Adding Josh Meekings to this defence as a backup would be worth the hassle of 6 months out as he is a terrific talent when fit especially if he signs a 2/3 year deal as I don't believe he's over 24 years old yet. When fit he could play as a back 3 along side Fraser and Davies also. Until his return Kenny VDW Blair Malcom and tumilty are more than adequate backup until then. So imo get Meekings signed!

Following on from that, I believe Ross Draper is a key acquisition we desperately need, it's clear to see the lightweight in midfield and everyone is in agreement we need a no nonsense midfield bully which chow routis and Lindsay don't fit. Chow has spells of hard tackles (red card frights) but for me he'd be a perfectly acceptable bench player. Lindsay is an exciting prospect young enough to learn. He's shown his desire to win back the ball on the rare occasion he does lose possession, won't stop working till he has. I see a player in routes, creative and tricky but error prone. With woods leaning, Draper is the ideal player we need to sign, even if it's for £100k+ pay it, he'll be worth it!!!

Another winger would perhaps be on my wish list but Dow and midge are suitable enough, give the young lads a shot!

If draper signs I'm confident for the season ahead!

Mikkelsen, Schalk, Curran and Mckay is a good attacking force. Get Morrison out on loan to the championship/league 1

7 minutes ago, Staggie#Wearethehighlands said:

Cue Mr Draper......I liked Woods when fit and on his game but the situation with (the management?) clearly got beyond repair, so better gone and free up a wage.

The idea that management didn't notice the swipe at Hearts and Partick Thistle (?) when he couldn't be arsed tracking back never really held true.

Flatters-to-decieve could have been coined for Martin Woods.

As earlier in this thread, I thought Woods could do a job...
Frustrating player like, who doesn't suit a midfield 2, but good in a 3.  
There were some games where he did dig in, for example I thought he was excellent and put in a great shift away to Partick on Chris Burke's debut.
But that obviously wasn't always the case, and his free kicks are legendary.

So I've got mixed emotions - still convinced there's a useful player in there that we're missing out on (given our midfield options at present), but not convinced he'd be used properly (or always step up to perform the job he was asked to do when it didn't suit him).
Also looks like he's done a Boyd / Cikos / etc. and fallen out with management.  

Aye, time was up.  Hope he gets sorted soon.

The idea that management didn't notice the swipe at Hearts and Partick Thistle (?) when he couldn't be arsed tracking back never really held true.
Flatters-to-decieve could have been coined for Martin Woods.

Thought it a bit odd those couple of games towards the end of the season where he 'seemed' to need to be subbed off a bit too easily. Dunno if he was trying to play through an injury or whether something else was going on.

9 minutes ago, Staggie#Wearethehighlands said:

Thought it a bit odd those couple of games towards the end of the season where he 'seemed' to need to be subbed off a bit too easily. Dunno if he was trying to play through an injury or whether something else was going on.

That half hour substitute then substituted appearance seemed mighty peculiar at the time.

I'd like to see if we could field a full XI of "Topflight Players Paid Off By County".

I didn't like Woods but when the space opened up in front of him, he was a very good player. That semi-final win against Celtic might have been his best performance. That said, he didn't score enough goals, was lazy when it came to tracking back, and was a bog-standard 6/10 player most weeks.

He won't be missed but it does raise more concerns over the centre of midfield.

10 minutes ago, yoda said:

I didn't like Woods but when the space opened up in front of him, he was a very good player.  
That said, he didn't score enough goals, was lazy when it came to tracking back, and was a bog-standard 6/10 player most weeks.
He won't be missed but it does raise more concerns over the centre of midfield.

Those 3 lines nail it, with the free-kicks a footnote.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

That half hour substitute then substituted appearance seemed mighty peculiar at the time.

Maybe he knew the writing was in the wall but wanted to make sure he got enough appearances to trigger his 'option'?

/conspiracy