The General Ross County Chat Thread

Sad to see him go. A player that was always there to accept the ball from his defence and never hid like other midfielders. To his detriment at times as the more you have the ball, the more you're likely to lose it. Thanks Martin for great service for two and a half years

37 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

Sad to see him go. A player that was always there to accept the ball from his defence and never hid like other midfielders. To his detriment at times as the more you have the ball, the more you're likely to lose it. Thanks Martin for great service for two and a half years

He spent two and a half years hiding pal. 

4 hours ago, yoda said:

I didn't like Woods but when the space opened up in front of him, he was a very good player.  
That said, he didn't score enough goals, was lazy when it came to tracking back, and was a bog-standard 6/10 player most weeks.
He won't be missed but it does raise more concerns over the centre of midfield.

4 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

Those 3 lines nail it, with the free-kicks a footnote.

Agreed, the problem was that 6/10 player most weeks is almost an understatement. He was that 6/10 player 9 out of 10 games. I am more than happy to see him go, he made the likes of Vigurs look like a Kettlewell-esque workhorse.

He spent two and a half years hiding pal. 

A bit Shrodingers cat there pal. How can a player get such high passing stats be hiding? No one is here to say he's a world class midfielder but he was the best one we had. I assume in a few months you'll be saying the same about Lindsay.

8 minutes ago, humbleheart said:

A bit Shrodingers cat there pal. How can a player get such high passing stats be hiding? No one is here to say he's a world class midfielder but he was the best one we had. I assume in a few months you'll be saying the same about Lindsay.

The bare minimum I expect from my CM is a defensive work ethic. Go and look at the goals we conceded over the last two years with our 'dodgy defence'. A good dozen over that time can be directly attributed to Woods' complete unwillingness to track his man. 

Woods was okay.  He had more bad games than he had good games.  His greatest game was against Celtic in that semi final, but we were helped by Ambrose getting sent off.  The extra time on the ball and he can dictate play very well.  The lack of Jackson Irvine in the team really exposed his weaknesses.  I am not sad to see him go, but I do wish him well.

7 hours ago, humbleheart said:

10% of goals in last two years directly attributable to Woods not tracking back his man?? I've seen around 60% of those games and must have missed most of them. Always the easy touch for vitriolic fans as I fear Ryan will be this year.

I take exception to being labelled vitriolic, I'm actually a very reasoned poster and have defended Woods on here before and on a daily basis in private due to one of my friends in particular who detests him for no reason. 

That said, his negatives outweighed his positives. He did not make enough of an effort in the defensive side of the game to warrant being a first pick every week and why he was allowed to continue taking set pieces is baffling. Lets not pretend we've lost an Irvine here. 

We're through, unbeaten. We didn't top the group but I don't care, we've got a chance against anyone on the day (maybe Celtic aside).

4-4-2 or 3-5-2 will depend on who we sign in next few days.

Fox
Naismith
Kelly
Fraser
Davies
Gardyne
O'Brien
? Chow
? Dow
Schalk/Curran
Mikkelsen/McKay
The signing of a Draper type & winger will probably change our strongest 11