The General Ross County Chat Thread

I didn't know which thread to post this on, but here's an update on our record breaking ability that I also posted on OTB.

Firstly, the original post from 11/04/12:

Worth noting that we have some records we can still break/equal this season.

Winning Margin

The highest winning margin in the second tier (both the Current 1st Division & Old Second Division) is 23 points, set by Hibs in the 98/99 season. They finished with 89 points to Falkirks 66. A win on Saturday would put us 20 points clear of Dundee with 3 games remaining to attempt to either extend our lead by 3 to equal the record, or 4+ to beat it.

Games Undefeated

We have already beaten the record for the 1st Division, however the record for the second tier (so the old Second Division) stands at 34 games, set by Airdrieonians spread between the 1949/1950 season and 1954/1955 season (with 4 years in the top flight in between). If we can continue our undefeated run to the end of the season, then we will match this.

Plenty reason to keep plugging on!

And now:

My apologies folks, my research was lazy last time. A little update on the "Winning Margin" one. I underestimated it and we are in with a shout for a much bigger record.

The current all-time record for "Winning Margin" for ANY Scottish League (i.e. any Scottish division since formation in 1890) is also 23.

Three teams have done it (all in relatively recent times) setting the record for each tier:

Hibs in 1998/99 in the 1st Division

Livingston in 2010/11 in the 2nd Division

East Fife in 2007/08 in the 3rd Division

The record for the top flight is a mere 21 points set by Rangers in 1999/00.

In other words, we could be a matter of a week away from being the most dominant league winners of any division in Scottish Footballing history.

My apologies folks, my research was lazy last time. A little update on the "Winning Margin" one. I underestimated it and we are in with a shout for a much bigger record.

The current all-time record for "Winning Margin" for ANY Scottish League (i.e. any Scottish division since formation in 1890) is also 23.

Three teams have done it (all in relatively recent times) setting the record for each tier:

Hibs in 1998/99 in the 1st Division

Livingston in 2010/11 in the 2nd Division

East Fife in 2007/08 in the 3rd Division

The record for the top flight is a mere 21 points set by Rangers in 1999/00.

In other words, we could be a matter of a week away from being the most dominant league winners of any division in Scottish Footballing history.

Seething that we only drew against Dumbarton at home on the last day, last season. A fantastic record to have, if County can get it.

Seething that we only drew against Dumbarton at home on the last day, last season. A fantastic record to have, if County can get it.

We're now 24 points clear, which if we match Dundee or better next week, will be a record. The biggest threat to the record from our point of view though is that there's 21 points betweent the ugly sisters right now. Hopefully the tax dodgers and their 10 point penalty don't screw it up for us.

We're now 24 points clear, which if we match Dundee or better next week, will be a record. The biggest threat to the record from our point of view though is that there's 21 points betweent the ugly sisters right now. Hopefully the tax dodgers and their 10 point penalty don't screw it up for us.

I think we could still claim the record, as we've done it without the need of the second placed team being deducted points.

I think we could still claim the record, as we've done it without the need of the second placed team being deducted points.

Morally, yes. But I'd rather have it indisputably.

A few quotes from McGregor in todays P&J

" Our ground will be a wee bit like Tynecastle with 6,000 people almost sitting on the park" Sounds good can't stand grounds where you feel like you are miles from the pitch.

Also goes onto talk about strengthening the squad "we know what we need to compete in the SPL we need to strengthen. A good lesson is Dunfermline who went up with the same team and you can't do that"

Johnny Flynn's away sad.gif quite sad about this one, looks a decent young player. He was pretty homesick though apparently, so whether this means he goes back to Ireland or will feel more at home somewhere further south I don't know.

Off to Falkirk, from what I've heard/read.

I like Johnny Flynn and it is a shame what happened to him this season. However, he has been acting like a sulking child on Twitter over the past few weeks.

I was going to say, I've only just joined twitter in the last week but he's certainly not got a filter between his brain and his keyboard. Whatever's going through his mind at the time gets shared with the world regardless.

Just put that up on OTB.

That conversation with RB on Twitter makes it look like it was a surprise, although some folk seemed to know a week or 2 ago.

He defo should have a think about what he puts on Twitter right enough or maybe have another account for family/friends.

1st time I saw him play on Saturday. Thought his distribution was excellent! Would've been nice to have seen him again.

Just put that up on OTB.

That conversation with RB on Twitter makes it look like it was a surprise, although some folk seemed to know a week or 2 ago.

He defo should have a think about what he puts on Twitter right enough or maybe have another account for family/friends.

1st time I saw him play on Saturday. Thought his distribution was excellent! Would've been nice to have seen him again.

I think you're getting two conversations mixed up. The surprise seemed more to do with Flynn not getting a winners' medal.

Lawson has been on Twitter implying that he hopes to stay. I also hope he stays, mainly so I can post another "Paul Lawson Love-In" thread. I may actually extend it to a "Richard Brittain, Stuart Kettlewell, Paul Lawson & Iain Vigurs Love-In" thread.

Edited by yoda