The General Ross County Chat Thread

38 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'm guessing Coyle's been a disaster?

It is stunning how poorly drilled and clueless our team looks; good players charging about like amateurs with no direction.

I'm shocked how bad he's been, I hoped for a nice possession-based game with a fluid attack, but we've got scrambling players playing the longball.

Improved the squad and addressed the gaps well, but that means nothing when you can't create a competitive football team out of that squad.

Last night felt like the nadir, which seems like stating the obvious but is worth stating.

I think there was a plan to let Aberdeen's centre-backs have the ball as much as they wanted, because neither were going to step out with the ball.  I say I think, because it's difficult to tell exactly that because Effion was so static - and then lumbering when he moved - that there might have been a plan to press the defence, but it didn't seem like it.  The plan to me seemed to be for County to get TIGHT!  TIGHT!  TIGHT!  to the Aberdeen midfield when the ball approached halfway, with Curran helping that a little.

However, Kenny McLean gladly collected the ball off the centre-backs when he wanted and was eager to go forward.  He would invite one person to press him, then pass it and move, leaving that County player out of the game.  The next Aberdeen player with the ball would then have someone try to press him a second or so too late, so the Aberdeen player would be able to pass the ball on early without any problem, taking the next County player out of the game.  It was a domino effect that wouldn't stop until McGinn or GMS would have to take on a full-back, but in reality Christie et al further forward were so fluid with their movement that they rarely had to go one-on-one. 

I felt sorry for Draper last night.  Chow can mask a lot of his faults to fans, to an extent, by the yards that he covers.  Draper was left exposed to try to lead the midfield in a role that he just isn't suited to.

The lack of structure to the defending is one of a growing number of major concerns.

Edited by bunglebonce

Saturday has to be make or break for Coyle. Dundee and ICT made decisive decisions last season when their teams were in trouble. ICT were loyal to Foran and he took them down, whilst Dundee took a punt on McCann which paid off. I hope it works out with Coyle, but I can’t see it. Never have I seen a County team look so clueless when in possession.

f**k knows who could replace him, but he’s taking us down at the moment at a absolute fucking whimper.

1 hour ago, dingdong1929 said:

It is stunning how poorly drilled and clueless our team looks; good players charging about like amateurs with no direction.

I'm shocked how bad he's been, I hoped for a nice possession-based game with a fluid attack, but we've got scrambling players playing the longball.

Improved the squad and addressed the gaps well, but that means nothing when you can't create a competitive football team out of that squad.

That County squad is more than good enough to get out of this mess.  Is Coyle?

19 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That's the key question I reckon.

Cant mind if i said it on here or OTB (regardless, apologies for repeating myself) but if we do get out of this i think it'll be down to the players and in spite of Coyle's coaching.

Edited by dingdong1929

2 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

Any reason you expected possession football? I don't think he's ever been that type of manager. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Our squad last season should have been good enough to at least get 11th but we were hamstrung by Foran. Sounds like you guys are in a similar position.

17 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:

Saturday has to be make or break for Coyle. Dundee and ICT made decisive decisions last season when their teams were in trouble. ICT were loyal to Foran and he took them down, whilst Dundee took a punt on McCann which paid off. I hope it works out with Coyle, but I can’t see it. Never have I seen a County team look so clueless when in possession.

f**k knows who could replace him, but he’s taking us down at the moment at a absolute fucking whimper.

This County side remind me a  lot of when Leitch was in charge. No penetration, no pace, players who want to pass the ball square and make simple mistakes and once a goal down never look like getting back to equal terms. We also had on paper a team that was probably too good to go down but did regardless.

14 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Leitch 

We really have had some diddy managers over the years haven't we, Leitch, McStay and now it appears Coyle. The Alex Smith period is largely forgettable apart from a 5-1 at the dump, and McIntyre although bringing our first major cup never really won over all the fans and had on-going issues such as Boyd-gate. Robbo and Dick Campbell were hardly here long enough to pass judgement.

Adams you could say came from within, eventually, in a roundabout way. I think relegation would see Roy turn to Ketts and/or Fergie.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Any reason you expected possession football? I don't think he's ever been that type of manager. 

Honestly not sure.  Think i was basing it on Burnley highlights where Eagles and Fletcher looked fantastic.
Whatever I was thinking of, it was misleading.

18 minutes ago, dingdong1929 said:

Honestly not sure.  Think i was basing it on Burnley highlights where Eagles and Fletcher looked fantastic.
Whatever I was thinking of, it was misleading.

The Kilmarnock 2-0 win at the start of his tenure through to the 2-1 win against Accies i.e. three matches were possession-based strategies.  The 2-2 at home to Killie as well, in the first half at least.  The rest has been a slog. 

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

The Kilmarnock 2-0 win at the start of his tenure through to the 2-1 win against Accies i.e. three matches were possession-based strategies.  The 2-2 at home to Killie as well, in the first half at least.  The rest has been a slog. 

That Kilmarnock game was so full of promise, VDW's goal seemed like a peal of thunder to announce our beautiful storm up the league.
And now.

ehp2HthBB04G.gif

5 hours ago, StuartTaylor said:

We really have had some diddy managers over the years haven't we, Leitch, McStay and now it appears Coyle. The Alex Smith period is largely forgettable apart from a 5-1 at the dump, and McIntyre although bringing our first major cup never really won over all the fans and had on-going issues such as Boyd-gate. Robbo and Dick Campbell were hardly here long enough to pass judgement.

Adams you could say came from within, eventually, in a roundabout way. I think relegation would see Roy turn to Ketts and/or Fergie.

From what I remember of Campbell's brief tenure he'd given County some steel about them. Admittedly we were a third tier side that season so it's difficult to say how we would have done in the top tier. 

I just remember the Smith period one of playing good money for guys like David Hannah, Steven McGarry and Jamie McCunnie who had the talent but really couldn't be arsed. Except for that goal by McGarry in the 3-3.

From what I remember of Campbell's brief tenure he'd given County some steel about them. Admittedly we were a third tier side that season so it's difficult to say how we would have done in the top tier. 
I just remember the Smith period one of playing good money for guys like David Hannah, Steven McGarry and Jamie McCunnie who had the talent but really couldn't be arsed. Except for that goal by McGarry in the 3-3.

Incredibly harsh on McGarry. Not prolific, but I thought he put in a shift in his time with County.

Mccunnie and Hannah swanned about doing very little, I concur.

Still, less of the Alex Smith talk, lads. He nearly ruined the entire club.