The General Ross County Chat Thread

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Three more players to sign, according to Ferguson.   Says they’ll either be Scottish based or have experience of Scottish football.   

Definitely a different set of players coming in compared to last few years.

They all seem to have experience of scottish game 

51 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Three more players to sign, according to Ferguson.   Says they’ll either be Scottish based or have experience of Scottish football.   

3 seems a bit light to me was hoping for 2 cbs , rb, 2 wingers , striker

maybe purrington is now a cb and hiwula appears to be back in the fold , both Edwards need replaced I’d say and quality wise brophy needs replaced up top , maybe Akio is being viewed as a player to come back into the fold albeit probably only the bench

1 hour ago, Rcfc fan said:

3 seems a bit light to me was hoping for 2 cbs , rb, 2 wingers , striker

maybe purrington is now a cb and hiwula appears to be back in the fold , both Edwards need replaced I’d say and quality wise brophy needs replaced up top , maybe Akio is being viewed as a player to come back into the fold albeit probably only the bench

Agreed.  Centre half and a winger are certainties, I also think right wing back could do with a boost.  And, despite it all, I still think we could use a ball playing central midfielder.

6 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Aye, agreed with everybody above. Absolutely zero complaints from me about Alex getting a new deal - he’s grafted his (sensational) arse off to not only get back fit, but make a difference in the run in. Fair play fella.

https://twitter.com/rosscounty/status/1673678276466819078?s=46&t=ifEZjmsywM4zZ6LsoCdAjw

Players back in training already. Incredible that the new season starts with a friendly at Nairn next week. Neither of the Canadian boys are in the above photo, unless I’ve missed something obvious. Loturi obviously at the Gold Cup, but Akio nowhere to be seen. Hopefully we’ve seen the last of him. Interesting to see Jordy Hiwula in that photo though - maybe he’s been asked if he wants to stay and fight for his place?

Akio will be away sniffing coke of some hookers arse crack down Merkinch!  

I mentioned it a page or two back but I'd like it if Jay Henderson was an option we were looking at.

St Mirren don't play with wingers so he certainly seems surplus to requirements but obviously due to his age, there'll be a development fee due. What that's likely to be, I've no idea.

Also his dad Darren, played with us for a couple of seasons, back in the day, so there's footsteps to follow.

9 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I mentioned it a page or two back but I'd like it if Jay Henderson was an option we were looking at.

St Mirren don't play with wingers so he certainly seems surplus to requirements but obviously due to his age, there'll be a development fee due. What that's likely to be, I've no idea.

Also his dad Darren, played with us for a couple of seasons, back in the day, so there's footsteps to follow.

We're moving onto having the flexibility of playing with wingers this season and have offered Jay a contract (to protect the development fee which is apparently low six figures) but Jay knocked it back as I don't feel he thinks we can offer him the amount of football he needs at this point in his career.

Though he's now moved onto a monthly rolling contract, he still travelled over to NI along with the rest of the squad on Monday for pre season but the situation has definitely got to come to a conclusion one way or the other very soon.

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We're moving onto having the flexibility of playing with wingers this season and have offered Jay a contract (to protect the development fee which is apparently low six figures) but Jay knocked it back as I don't feel he thinks we can offer him the amount of football he needs at this point in his career.

Though he's now moved onto a monthly rolling contract, he still travelled over to NI along with the rest of the squad on Monday for pre season but the situation has definitely got to come to a conclusion one way or the other very soon.

Do you feel that Jay has a future with yourselves ?

Do you think he could do a job for County ?

Edited by Sammy

9 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Do you feel that Jay has a future with yourselves ?

Do you think he could do a job for County ?

Probably not in terms of future. He's clearly at a stage that he wants to start every week and maybe has a case but he's at best, a good option from the bench for us and the fact we offered him a new deal likely reflects that.

Yeah I think he'd do a job for most sides in the middle to lower end of the league. Would I hang my hat on him being the difference between a good and rubbish season? Probably not but he'll be a decent regular starter and a good squad option for County I'm sure.

Just read that interview with MacGregor and Fergie in the P&J from yesterday. As mentioned above, they’re talking about 3 more players coming in - all with domestic experience or who currently play domestically. With a winger a necessity, that would maybe suggest McKinstry may be on his way given the links we had to him earlier in the window? In terms of centre halves, we’ve been linked to Lewis Mayo a few times - maybe another loan deal with a first dibs after contract expiry given he’ll probably not cut the mustard at Rangers. 

Of course, these are wild stabs in the dark - but it’s good to see the club hunting in familiar markets. 

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It makes so much sense.  Knows the Highlands, familial ties… and lest we forget, Ross Stewart wasn’t good enough for St Mirren either. 

One word, "Stubbs"

Stubbs' ability to judge Stewart was entirely in line with his appraisal of other players; ie: he was incompetent (Stubss, not Stewart). He should have gone to County, but on a loan, he'd been loaned out to Albion Rovers the season before and while there was definitely something there, he was far too raw to be guaranteed first team action.

Stubs was/is a c**t, who tried to rip apart my club, I have never actively "hated" a St Mirren manager (then again, we haven't hired Mackay!) but I have nothing but personal animosity towards him. He was only with us for a few months but did untold damage during that time.