The General Ross County Chat Thread

Just now, falkirkstaggie said:

Why does this not surprise me.

Half our squad is injury prone to be fair, so there was a good chance you’d sign someone from that category. 

15 hours ago, Comrie said:

Leave it to Randomguy to post a graph I am too stupid to understand.

Aye, this advanced stats malarkey makes me turn all boomer "xG? What a load of nonsense, when I was a lad..."

But what's the difference between progressive passing & creative passing?

15 hours ago, Comrie said:

Leave it to Randomguy to post a graph I am too stupid to understand.

Do you understand traffic lights?

Green means theyre an "outlier" so do lots of that thing.

Yellow means slightly above average.

Orange means slightly below average.

Red means a negative outlier.

Its often more stylistic than anything, so the chart shows you what type of player of Allardice is.

Bottom half of the chart shows you stuff for a deep CM, which shows Allardice has been good at. Top half shows attacking stuff, which shows hes a goal threat himself but maybe doesnt create much for others.

12 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Aye, this advanced stats malarkey makes me turn all boomer "xG? What a load of nonsense, when I was a lad..."

But what's the difference between progressive passing & creative passing?

Progressive is moving the ball 20%+ closer to goal, so its effectively just showing who is passing from deeper areas.

Creative is stuff that happens in more advanced areas. Setting up shots, passing between lines, that sort of thing.

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bottom half of the chart shows you stuff for a deep CM, which shows Allardice has been good at. Top half shows attacking stuff, which shows hes a goal threat himself but maybe doesnt create much for others.

I'd agree with most of what you've said from your chart but this I cannot comprehend. He doesn't score often and doesn't really get in many positions to have a crack at goal. I'd say he's probably one of the most shot shy players in the team but the stats to generate those graphs must come from somewhere that suggests he's a goal threat but I haven't seen that much of it during his time with us. 

TBF, when he has scored his strikes have been sweetly struck (goal v Morton being a great example) and he's solid at the defensive side of things which is more likely what RC have picked him up for.  

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

I'd agree with most of what you've said from your chart but this I cannot comprehend. He doesn't score often and doesn't really get in many positions to have a crack at goal. I'd say he's probably one of the most shot shy players in the team but the stats to generate those graphs must come from somewhere that suggests he's a goal threat but I haven't seen that much of it during his time with us. 

TBF, when he has scored his strikes have been sweetly struck (goal v Morton being a great example) and he's solid at the defensive side of things which is more likely what RC have picked him up for.  

Says hes slightly below average as a goal threat for ICT CMs over the past 5 years, unsure if that helps 😅

The "shooting efficiency" is nothing more than shots per goal, so its like he rarely shoots but when he does he scores.

51 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Suits the job requirement of a Ross County Football Club midfielder perfectly.

How good is he at watching the ball being hoofed over his head though? That's what I want to know

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Progressive is moving the ball 20%+ closer to goal, so its effectively just showing who is passing from deeper areas.

Creative is stuff that happens in more advanced areas. Setting up shots, passing between lines, that sort of thing.

Thank you for the clarification. That makes it much easier to wrap my head around.

Edited by forkboy

Same folk who've nailed a few other transfers this Summer are saying youve also signed Kyle Turner from Partick.

Another CM, whos better the more attacking he is but can be do a bit of everything well. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Same folk who've nailed a few other transfers this Summer are saying youve also signed Kyle Turner from Partick.

Another CM, whos better the more attacking he is but can be do a bit of everything well. 

I quite liked him. A better Ross Callachan.   Can’t find a source for us signing him though.  

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is the sort of shit I like seeing. A midfield 3 of Turner, Allardice and Dhanda is exciting.

4 minutes ago, Steve Carrella said:

25 games in the Championship and zero assists.  Going to fit right in. 

Turner sorts that out...

turner.thumb.png.1179b8e28af2418100955f7baf402ad5.png

Turner - if that happens - would be succession planning for Dhanda, IMO. As Allardice is for Cancola.

My grievance with Cancola was that he had everything in his game, but was rarely brave enough to be progressive with his passing, often passing the buck to the centre backs. When he found himself in the final third and had to be more forward-thinking he could be very good. Allardice won't be a downgrade.

@Matty-RCFC the highlight of previous friendlies with them was the gudge playing the Grandstand theme before the match starts.

Edited by bunglebonce

1 minute ago, bunglebonce said:

Turner - if that happens - would be succession planning for Dhanda, IMO. As Allardice is for Cancola.

My grievance with Cancola was that he had everything in his game, but was rarely brave enough to be progressive with his passing, often passing the buck to the centre backs. When he found himself in the final third and had to be more forward-thinking he could be very good. Allardice won't be a downgrade.

I could be wrong here, but did Turner not play a fair bit of the season in the number 8 for Thistle? I don’t think he’s an out and out 10 in the same way as Dhanda, but in fairness it’s probably hard to find an out and out 10 these days.

2 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

I could be wrong here, but did Turner not play a fair bit of the season in the number 8 for Thistle? I don’t think he’s an out and out 10 in the same way as Dhanda, but in fairness it’s probably hard to find an out and out 10 these days.

Mostly as a 10 under Doolan but with plenty minutes as an 8 as well. That's not a bad thing, if there's an upgrade on the flanks.