The General Ross County Chat Thread

Disappointed to lose cancola I just wonder whether that was club or players decision.

Watson has generally been good for us but it’s time to move on as he could not cope with the top flight anymore, wish him all the best a good servant to the club 

Dom Samuel we never saw enough of so can’t really judge, must’ve had a poor attitude or mackay just didn’t rate him, glad to get him off the wage bill and get looking for another striker

centre half is fast becoming the main rebuild area as Watson and Iacovitti are away and in my opinion I already thought we were one short in that area so will need 3 players signed there to complement Baldwin and Smith

Centre midfield will also need at least 2 bodies after losing cancola and kenneh

2 hours ago, Rcfc fan said:

centre half is fast becoming the main rebuild area as Watson and Iacovitti are away and in my opinion I already thought we were one short in that area so will need 3 players signed there to complement Baldwin and Smith

I could see Purrington playing at LCB in a three, he looks more physically competent than Randall with Harmon who I rate pretty highly becoming our permanent left back.

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

I could see Purrington playing at LCB in a three, he looks more physically competent than Randall with Harmon who I rate pretty highly becoming our permanent left back.

That's how I see it too. He's maybe not as physically imposing as Iacovitti but imo is calmer in possession with better distribution.

2 hours ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

That's how I see it too. He's maybe not as physically imposing as Iacovitti but imo is calmer in possession with better distribution.

My 5 year old son is more composed on the ball than Big Yak, to be fair. The guy would headbutt a bull if he could absolute screwball. 

2 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

My 5 year old son is more composed on the ball than Big Yak, to be fair. The guy would headbutt a bull if he could absolute screwball. 

Iacovitti developed into a really good center half, playing regularly beside Baldwin. I wasn't a Iacovitti fan at all when he signed, to say he was raw and accident prone would be an understatement, but I'm happy to say that I was wrong with my initial assessment. He was a tower of strength last season, clearly popular and a positive influencer within the squad, I'm intrigued to see where he goes next, best of luck to him.

Edited by Sensible Soccer🏴

38 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Iacovitti developed into a really good center half, playing regularly beside Baldwin. I wasn't a Iacovitti fan at all when he signed, to say he was raw and accident prone would be an understatement, but I'm happy to say that I was wrong with my initial assessment. He was a tower of strength last season, clearly popular and a positive influencer within the squad, I'm intrigued to see where he goes next, best of luck to him.

He’s a good bread and butter centre half - nobody has ever questioned that guys determination and commitment. Launch a ball 15 foot up in the air and he’ll win it. Put a player with the ball 10 foot near him and he’ll throw his body on the line for his team.  However, give him the ball with 20 seconds of his time on his side and he’ll launch the ball up the channel or through to the opposition keeper - the exact same as Baldwin and probably every other old school centre half that plays in Scotland. You can not call either of them progressive centre halves. 

FWIW, I think a lot of our fans have been victims of recency bias. For the majority of the season, barring 3-4 players and about 4 or 5 games, that squad were shitebags. They decided to turn up with 5 games to go. Many of them are now being lauded as heroes because they won a penalty shootout to keep us in the league -  a situation we got ourselves in over the course of the season. I mean, the reaction I’ve seen to Keith Watson and David Cancola leaving the club has been laughable. I’ve seen the terms “icon” and “legend” thrown about to describe Watson - absolute nonsense.  Talk about tinpot, I’ve seen a company create a commemorative plaque about Harmon’s goal! 

A few more of them could leave and it wouldn’t be soon enough. I’d keep Laidlaw, Harmon, Purrington, Dhanda and probably Loturi. The rest? I’d be totally indifferent if they left or stayed. Rant over.

1 hour ago, Matty-RCFC said:

...For the majority of the season, barring 3-4 players and about 4 or 5 games, that squad were shitebags...

What utter pish you post sometimes. Yes things didn't work out the way as hoped, hence the involvement in the playoffs but FFS that's some dramatic ott ranting.

I can't say I've seen or heard anyone refer to Watson or Cancola as club legends, where did you go looking to hear that?

21 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

What utter pish you post sometimes. Yes things didn't work out the way as hoped, hence the involvement in the playoffs but FFS that's some dramatic ott ranting.

I can't say I've seen or heard anyone refer to Watson or Cancola as club legends, where did you go looking to hear that?

Name the players that you think consistently performed this season and genuinely deserve to be part of a Premiership side, and name the games where you thought we looked like a competent Premiership side - then we’ll see who’s talking pish.

R.E. Watson - a simple twitter search on the usual County pages is a hint. 

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Where does Keith Watson stand in the pantheon of Ross County top flight appearances?  

Staggie Archive have him as the 22nd highest appearance holder ever. Above him I’d say there’s maybe 7/8 that have played in the Premiership for County, but maybe only 3/4 that have played more in the Prem. He’s probably in the Top 5.

The standard of football that we were served this season was horrendous. It’s mainly down to the tactics deployed, which surely has not gone unnoticed at a higher level. We watched our team hoof the ball aimlessly to a striker that clearly does not like a high ball into him for the most part of the season. That’s no disrespect to White. He’s clearly a striker that likes the ball into his feet judging by the goals he scored this season. He was criticised earlier in this thread for just scoring tap ins, but he was in the right place to get those goals. 11 goals in a season for us is not a bad return, considering he was up top by himself until January. 

Compared to the other teams in the league, budget and distance considered, where should County be finishing in the league? Can we geniually expect a top class, quality game of football each week? 

To even convince a player to move up North, move away from the Central belt/or cities down South takes some doing. This is as well the Scottish Premiership, convinving good players from England here a tough sell.

With the exception of maybe Motherwell, have any other bottom 6 teams (Livingston, St. Johnstone, Killie etc)being playing great football on a weekly basis? I really don't think they have. Just read through their forums.

While the Charles-Cook season was great to watch, I don't think we can expect that standard as a given.

In some ways a relegation would have helped bring a bit of realism to some supporters.

It sure looks good challenging at the top of the Championship and is certainly more entertaining to watch, than say fighting out a point in a 0-0 draw to stay 10th in the Premiership. Poor crowds sure, but a huge away support isn't everything!!

I'm happy that they stayed up in the end, but I'm not confident of high quality, end to end exciting football regardless of who the manager is next season. Maybe they will find a Charles-Cook or two by luck in the transfer market, but to expect that each season is unrealistic and doesn't take into account budget or location.

The relief of avoiding relegation on penalties has definitely influenced how folk view the squad. There's a post a few pages back that mentions a decent core / nucleus in place for next season and I couldn't disagree more. The team were mostly terrible this season and that core / nucleus was mostly the same. I think there's a fair bit of work required if County don't want to finish in the bottom two again next season. 

The budget under Mackay is probably larger than most people think. I doubt he's on peanuts and I doubt guys like Purrington and Dhanda were leaving the EFL to come up to the Highlands for a poverty wage. 

42 minutes ago, yoda said:

The relief of avoiding relegation on penalties has definitely influenced how folk view the squad. There's a post a few pages back that mentions a decent core / nucleus in place for next season and I couldn't disagree more. The team were mostly terrible this season and that core / nucleus was mostly the same. I think there's a fair bit of work required if County don't want to finish in the bottom two again next season. 

The budget under Mackay is probably larger than most people think. I doubt he's on peanuts and I doubt guys like Purrington and Dhanda were leaving the EFL to come up to the Highlands for a poverty wage. 

I think you’re referring to my post and what I meant by a decent nucleus was 5/6 players who, I personally believe, are more than good enough for this level. There’s still a fair bit of squad building to be done around them, but I do think a fair few have proved themselves.

4 hours ago, Sonam said:

Compared to the other teams in the league, budget and distance considered, where should County be finishing in the league? Can we geniually expect a top class, quality game of football each week? 

To even convince a player to move up North, move away from the Central belt/or cities down South takes some doing. This is as well the Scottish Premiership, convinving good players from England here a tough sell.

With the exception of maybe Motherwell, have any other bottom 6 teams (Livingston, St. Johnstone, Killie etc)being playing great football on a weekly basis? I really don't think they have. Just read through their forums.

Surely we should strive to be better than we are and always demand more of the management team, whether they’re doing well or they’re doing poorly. That mindset of ‘small northern club’ needs patched if we want to actually progress as a club. We’ll have been in the Premiership 11 of the last 12 years after this season, and Roy Macgregor has gone on record saying that this season was the largest expenditure on the playing budget in Ross County’s history, yet we played some of the most turgid, eye-bleeding football since the club’s arrival in the Premiership. In my opinion, it’s completely justified to ask questions of both the players and management instead of taking the stance of “well what did you expect to happen?” just because of geographical challenges. We’ve built several decent Premiership level squads on smaller budgets so it’s possible. 

2 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

We’ll have been in the Premiership 11 of the last 12 years after this season, and Roy Macgregor has gone on record saying that this season was the largest expenditure on the playing budget in Ross County’s history, yet we played some of the most turgid, eye-bleeding football since the club’s arrival in the Premiership.

They had the ambition to consolidate in mid-table/top-six, but the recruitment wasn’t up to scratch in key areas. The line-up and performance against East Fife in the League Cup group stage seemed to me to be the prototype of how Malky wanted to play this season, i.e.

4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1
Dhanda playing between the lines to feed the wingers
The wingers firing quick low balls across the box for Hiwula, who showed superb movement in those early matches before quickly losing his way.

A front three or four of any of Dhanda, Hiwula, Owura Edwards, Olaigbe, Sims and Akio looked like a reasonable gamble at replacing RCC, Hungbo and Spittal and replicating the previous season’s performances. Jordan White ended up playing the same amount of minutes as in the season before, but he didn’t start as a first choice. I think the plan was to use Dom Samuel as the number 10 until Dhanda found his feet in the league (which was complacent in hindsight, Dhanda should have just been thrown in from the starts). Dom Samuel quickly reminded everyone how crap he was and Callachan was pushed upfield again, before Callachan’s first injury gave Dhanda the chance to play. 

Roy mentioned after the shoot-out that perhaps we had tried to be too technical last summer and lost our soul. That is a polite way of saying too many of the squad turned into shitebags. County were in big trouble by the autumn, when it turned out that Owura’s early promise petered out and - Dhanda apart - the other technical attacking players couldn’t be relied upon. That left Malky to rely upon the cart horses who were carried by RCC and Hungbo he rewarded with longer term contracts. We’ve mostly seen five at the back and too much shithousery since then, but Malky had to back himself into that corner because it became increasingly clear that there were few alternatives in the squad.

All of that is to say that I am still content with how last season was planned for, I think? However the recruitment didn’t work in the forward areas.

I hope that Sims’s season was due to a crisis in confidence and, with a good performance off the bench vs Thistle and scoring the winning penalty he now blossoms into the player he first hinted at (I keep thinking about that sitter at Tynecastle on the opening day of the season as a Sliding Doors moment for his career). Loturi is only going to get better. As much as I give flak to Callachan, I do think there’s a role for him as a leader in the midfield, and perhaps after his injury he can be reshaped into someone who sits further back with Loturi (his discipline bothers me though and since he isn’t gambling beyond the striker, I can’t stand watching him further up the park where he offers little technically). I think Purrington would be very good at LCB and Dylan Smith could see a lot more football at RCB, with Baldwin in the middle, but we need a major upgrade at right wing-back for that to work.

I’d prefer to see Dhanda supporting a couple of wingers and a forward who can both hold his own vs defenders and anticipate the crosses, but I feel like I’m asking for too much.

Spoiler

Dhanda will be away and we will be back to having Tillson and Callachan giving the ball away and no-one running beyond White when he drops short. :green

Edited by bunglebonce