The General Ross County Chat Thread

On 11/06/2023 at 15:57, btb said:

What's the goss regarding youse signing Brophy?

It doesn't have to be true, amusing or interesting will do just as well.

Could see a situation where we'd try and swap Brophy for White.

County clearly like Brophy and we are clearly on the market for a battering ram up front who can hold the ball up.

Personally, I'm not a fan of White. Never have been, but thinking about it with a rational head more than by opinion, it would make sense.

Not a rumour or anything, there's nothing in this apart from in my head but it's one that definitely wouldn't shock me as its logical.

23 minutes ago, Comrie said:

There are folk on FB who want White sold and us to start with Murray and Alex Samuel up front next season.

Deep into the second period of extra time vs Partick I heard a chap in the East stand shout "GET WHITE OFF".  We had made 5 subs and only had a reserve goalie on the bench.... 

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

There are folk on FB who want White sold and us to start with Murray and Alex Samuel up front next season.

There are folk on our Facebook that would have Billy Ferries and Neil Tarrant (in their current states) starting in our next game. Would love to go inside the minds of some of the freak shows that comment on that page. Mental to think they are amongst society. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Could see a situation where we'd try and swap Brophy for White.

County clearly like Brophy and we are clearly on the market for a battering ram up front who can hold the ball up.

Personally, I'm not a fan of White. Never have been, but thinking about it with a rational head more than by opinion, it would make sense.

Not a rumour or anything, there's nothing in this apart from in my head but it's one that definitely wouldn't shock me as its logical.

We aren't signing Brophy, never mind swap our only forward that plays injured for a player that never plays because of injury.

3 hours ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

In fairness Derek Ferguson is at times worth the price of admission alone and McFadden is solid, albeit I don't feel the brightest after listening to the other two.

I don't mind Ferguson, hence why I kept him separate 😅... at least he can talk some sense...

I don’t think I’d swap white for brophy , would like both though,  as much as white gets a lot of of stick he’s pretty good for what we need , 11 goals , puts in a power of work and is a much needed physical presence

I just wish we’d stop lumping balls up to him and actually cross the ball into him , playoff final is a perfect example of how fruitful crosses can be as opposed to lump ball 

1 hour ago, Rcfc fan said:

I don’t think I’d swap white for brophy , would like both though,  as much as white gets a lot of of stick he’s pretty good for what we need , 11 goals , puts in a power of work and is a much needed physical presence

I just wish we’d stop lumping balls up to him and actually cross the ball into him , playoff final is a perfect example of how fruitful crosses can be as opposed to lump ball 

100%

Purely sh!te tactics from MM, Dhanda can put a cross in, we have player who can head the ball in, but instead of doing it, we'll throw the ball long so there's not enough power on the ball or we'll play it long from the back with no support and lose possession.

The players can do a job, it's the person making the decisions getting it wrong. Although I don't think White will ever get to a decent amount of goals per season.

7 hours ago, Riz said:

100%

Purely sh!te tactics from MM, Dhanda can put a cross in, we have player who can head the ball in, but instead of doing it, we'll throw the ball long so there's not enough power on the ball or we'll play it long from the back with no support and lose possession.

The players can do a job, it's the person making the decisions getting it wrong. Although I don't think White will ever get to a decent amount of goals per season.

In terms of your thoughts re White ever getting a decent amount of goals per season, he scored just 2 fewer goals this season than RCC got last season. To me that is a decent amount when RCC was being lauded as amazing but when White gets close he's classed as useless

5 hours ago, Lowrie83 said:

In terms of your thoughts re White ever getting a decent amount of goals per season, he scored just 2 fewer goals this season than RCC got last season. To me that is a decent amount when RCC was being lauded as amazing but when White gets close he's classed as useless

To argue the other way

11 goals
3 of them were the opening goal of the match (of which County lost 2 of the 3 matches)
His hat-trick in the 3-1 win vs Dundee United included a match-winner
His goal in the 3-3 vs St Johnstone was the second of three in the match 
The other goals didn't affect the outcome of the matches.

RCC had 13 goals
Three of them were match-winners and a fourth secured a point

In the seven matches prior to his hat-trick vs Dundee United, White didn't register a shot on target (albeit he hit the crossbar with a point-blank header in the 6-1 loss at Tynecastle). In that spell he played every minute of the first six matches, then was then taken off just before the hour mark in the win vs Livingston. The hat-trick itself were three tap-ins inside the six-yard box. The hat-trick was crucial to County's survival but masks the rest of his performance since February,.

RCC was rightly lauded for being a game-changer. Not just for his goals but being able to take on defenders 1v1 in areas of the pitch that we don't often see joy from. 

14 hours ago, Riz said:

100%

Caley fans even told us he wasn't good at that "lump long balls at him" role. Our management team just didn't listen. We did the same thing with Thomas Mikkelsen.

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

To argue the other way

11 goals
3 of them were the opening goal of the match (of which County lost 2 of the 3 matches)

RCC had 13 goals

In the seven matches prior to his hat-trick vs Dundee United, White didn't register a shot on target (albeit he hit the crossbar with a point-blank header in the 6-1 loss at Tynecastle). In that spell he played every minute of the first six matches, then was then taken off just before the hour mark in the win vs Livingston. The hat-trick itself were three tap-ins inside the six-yard box. The hat-trick was crucial to County's survival but masks the rest of his performance since February,.

RCC was rightly lauded for being a game-changer. Not just for his goals but being able to take on defenders 1v1 in areas of the pitch that we don't often see joy from. 

I mean it's impossible to compare their goal scoring...

RCC scored 13 goals in a County team the played fluid attacking football, its unsurprising he scored so many...

White scored 11 goals in a County team that had Baldwin and Iacovitti hoofing long balls for him to chase with very little reinforcements to help, its surprising he did score so many...

3 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

To argue the other way

11 goals

RCC had 13 goals

I realise you were maybe just being a contrarian, but it's a little revisionist to label the 3 goals where he scored first as unimportant because of the end result, or the St Johnstone game where he scored what was the equaliser at the time, as not crucial.

It reads like you're playing down their significance; apologies of that wasn't how you intended it to read.

Seems a little harsh to discount goals on losing matches so readily, too. County may well have been in more jeopardy on the final day had White not helped improve our goal difference with what turned out to be consolation goals.

3 hours ago, StoneThrowAway said:

I mean it's impossible to compare their goal scoring...

RCC scored 13 goals in a County team the played fluid attacking football, its unsurprising he scored so many...

White scored 11 goals in a County team that had Baldwin and Iacovitti hoofing long balls for him to chase with very little reinforcements to help, its surprising he did score so many...

It is comparing apples and oranges, I agree. 

2 hours ago, morrison said:

I realise you were maybe just being a contrarian, but it's a little revisionist to label the 3 goals where he scored first as unimportant because of the end result, or the St Johnstone game where he scored what was the equaliser at the time, as not crucial.

It reads like you're playing down their significance; apologies of that wasn't how you intended it to read.

Seems a little harsh to discount goals on losing matches so readily, too. County may well have been in more jeopardy on the final day had White not helped improve our goal difference with what turned out to be consolation goals.

I was highlighting why RCC was lauded compared to White. I didn't necessarily mean to downplay White's contribution, but while I'm here I do think it is worth sparing a thought to what the opportunity cost is to White's role as a certain starter. How many other strikers could score 11 goals with the minutes White had in the team? I don't have the answer to that obviously, other than Dom Samuel and Jordy Hiwula couldn't.

The bottom line is we have to change it for next season or that same team will get us into the same mess we found ourselves in this season. Surviving by a single penalty shoot out against the fourth place championship team is as tight as it gets.

Edited by USSR Tycoon

7 hours ago, USSR Tycoon said:

The bottom line is we have to change it for next season or that same team will get us into the same mess we found ourselves in this season. Surviving by a single penalty shoot out against the fourth place championship team is as tight as it gets.

Correct and surely proper due diligence must be done as to signing which players to bolster our squad , there was a tinge of poor luck last season due to long injuries to undoubted key players (Brophy, Purrington, Callachan) but the remaining players could of and should of done better

34 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’ll be that guy we had from Celtic - the left sided centre back/left back, I’d assume.  

I thought Leo Hjelde was pretty decent, so that'd be alright in my book.