The General Ross County Chat Thread

7 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Given the interview Roy gave post match where he lauded the strength of the management team I think it’s very wishful thinking.

Another year of throwing money at loan players who end up contributing bugger all then?  If Roy keeps Malky, he’ll need to back him by chucking money at much better (ie Dhanda level) players.  I don’t want any of this season’s loan signings back.  

Just now, Rcfc fan said:

The feel good factor around after the weekend would only be ramped up if it was announced the management team was to leave , we’d effectively be welcoming back 100s of fans

Or a signing.  Or a contract renewal.  Or a player of the year.  Or, well, anything, really.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Another year of throwing money at loan players who end up contributing bugger all then?  If Roy keeps Malky, he’ll need to back him by chucking money at much better (ie Dhanda level) players.  I don’t want any of this season’s loan signings back.  

I wouldn't take any of the loan players back either other than Brophy.  Worth noting that the club effectively lost 500k which was wiped off by Roy, so I wouldn't expect any marquee signings.  I sensed a small shift (very small) in policy from short term loan signings to longer deals last season, that needs to continue if we are to maintain any sense of stability in the Prem.

1 hour ago, Rcfc fan said:

The feel good factor around after the weekend would only be ramped up if it was announced the management team was to leave , we’d effectively be welcoming back 100s of fans

You want rid of Cowie and Thomson too?  Bit harsh.  Furthermore I think you are in cloud cuckoo land if you think 100s are boycotting, maybe 50, of which some of which are away only central belt fans.  This "boycott" is massively overstated amongst the P&B fan members, he who shouts loudest etc.  Most folk don't give a shit, or have got bored of it by now.

Can categorically state that the impact of the Malky appointment is much worse than 50 or so fans boycotting. For one thing there are a number of businesses behind the scenes that have walked away with substantial funding. A reasonable chunk of the money Roy had to write-off would be accounting for that lost revenue. There's also a reason the Victoria Suite has been shut for numerous games over the last two years - and that has a big knock-on effect too. Most of that isn't likely to come back though. I can definitively say that a large chunk of that cash isn't coming back regardless now.

Can't help but think that, even if you had gotten relegated, Malky would still be there and Roy would chuck another large wad of cash to get you promoted then claim his decision to appoint him was justified.

31 minutes ago, RiG said:

Can't help but think that, even if you had gotten relegated, Malky would still be there and Roy would chuck another large wad of cash to get you promoted then claim his decision to appoint him was justified.

I think most folk would be behind mackay if it wasn’t for the stuff in the past, from a completely football based viewpoint he has been justified as he got us in the top 6 which is a great achievement then in his 2nd season he achieved our ever present goal of simply staying in the top flight.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Next season’s Championship is looking pretty weak.  I’d wager County could have got promoted with a minimum of additions.  Probably mostly from ICT.  As it is, I have no idea where they go from here. 

3 minutes ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Cancola’s other half put something along the lines of ‘end of a chapter’ on her social media. I can only assume he is away. ☹️

I’m not sure that’s a great loss, although he certainly went out on a bang. Some real quality in central midfield is desperately needed. 

3 hours ago, Rcfc fan said:

I think most folk would be behind mackay if it wasn’t for the stuff in the past, from a completely football based viewpoint he has been justified as he got us in the top 6 which is a great achievement then in his 2nd season he achieved our ever present goal of simply staying in the top flight.

Do you think so? The football is brutal to watch, the signings have been of questionable quality outside of a small number of exceptions, the complete failure to have a Plan B or just have a Plan A that actually works to bring our best player into the game rather than pumping the ball over his head, and obviously the result this season have stunk.

I'm not saying you're wrong because I'm honestly not sure if I agree or not that most folk would be behind Mackay without his text messaging bigotry. But doesn't it seem like the worm really turned this season because of the results? A lot more people seemed reluctant to speak on that past last year when things were going well, or at least that's how it feels like to me. His first season was obviously very good (on the field) but then last summer we lost our top 3 scorers and what exactly did Malky do to replace them? The scattershot approach to loan signings is just kind of hard to defend.

Agree with all you’ve said forkboy , I also think it’s been brutal to watch a lot of the time especially when he insists on 5 at the back, but I believe Roy probably doesn’t care how we stay in the league as long as we do manage to stay in it. 

Ironically I think had G.Edwards and Brophy been fit (and to a lesser degree callachan) we could’ve been a very good watch in the second half of the season , that game at home to killie and the 2-0 celtic home game were quite exciting just remember G.Edwards making celtics RB Johnston look very shaky, and Brophy looked unstoppable vs killie 

5 hours ago, Spain said:

Can categorically state that the impact of the Malky appointment is much worse than 50 or so fans boycotting. For one thing there are a number of businesses behind the scenes that have walked away with substantial funding. A reasonable chunk of the money Roy had to write-off would be accounting for that lost revenue. There's also a reason the Victoria Suite has been shut for numerous games over the last two years - and that has a big knock-on effect too. Most of that isn't likely to come back though. I can definitively say that a large chunk of that cash isn't coming back regardless now.

I cannot pass comment on the loss of revenue derived from Mackays appointment but I have no reason to doubt you, you are far better replaced to comment on that then me.  However my point has always been that the fans boycott is not as significant as its made out to be by the politically aware P&B bourgeoise.  Our attendances have always fluctuated on our success on the pitch.  Covid habits, cost of living, cost of tickets, shite match day experience knock the boycott numbers into a cocked hat.

Football is a funny thing. 

David Martindale, convicted drug dealer and gangster - great guy. 

Stephen Robinson - allegedly verbally and physically abusing his missus on a bridge in Edinburgh - great guy. 

Neil Lennon - Threatened to cut his mistresses throat with a knife - great guy. 

Malky Mackay - has his phone hacked and private messages published - should never work in football again. 

The hypocrisy is bonkers.  Mackay has built the most diverse squad Ross County have ever had, including two victims of racist abuse in Dhanda and Charles-Cook, but that counts for nothing.  Anyway, this is the last I'll mention it, as I'm boring myself now.  For what its worth I think its time for him to go, for footballing reasons.  

18 minutes ago, morrison said:

Martindale's done a heap of repentance for what his wrongdoing, and no one thinks Lennon is a great guy. Reign yourself in.

But Lennon has been handed several jobs since that, and Martindale is a legend because he’s a drug dealer not a racist text messenger?

The moral maze of football is particularly convoluted in my mind.

38 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

But Lennon has been handed several jobs since that, and Martindale is a legend because he’s a drug dealer not a racist text messenger?

The moral maze of football is particularly convoluted in my mind.

Martindale continues to own his past. This being a good example:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12876834/after-4-years-in-prison-i-want-to-help-others-change-their-lives

Mackay doesn’t even talk about what he did, by comparison. 

Lennon and Robinson would not be welcomed by me. 

It isn’t necessarily what they have done, it is what they have done since it happened.

Mackay in his first press conference should have addressed what happened, taken responsibility what he did send, stated what he’s done since then.

Martindale has owned his previous criminality, has worked up from being a volunteer at Livi.  He also gives talks on where he was, what lead him there, and how to avoid going down that path to local youth groups.