The General Ross County Chat Thread

21 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

That'll be worth a visit, hopefully that's how it works out. If they're Saturday away days I'll try to get to them.

Did I make this up, or did The Jailender once fly down to Belfast & then get the ferry across to Stranraer because that was the quickest way to get there & back? It's something I apparently have stored in a dusty recess of my memory but I'm really good at just making up memories that sound plausible. Maybe it wasn't TJE but I swear I remember reading of some County fan(s) who did that whenever County were last in the same division as Stranraer. 

10 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Did I make this up, or did The Jailender once fly down to Belfast & then get the ferry across to Stranraer because that was the quickest way to get there & back? It's something I apparently have stored in a dusty recess of my memory but I'm really good at just making up memories that sound plausible. Maybe it wasn't TJE but I swear I remember reading of some County fan(s) who did that whenever County were last in the same division as Stranraer. 

I'm sure it was him and a few others, sure I mind photos on the ferry.

13 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Montrose fans done something similar a few seasons ago, decided to make a night of it in Belfast on the fright before the relatively short journey across to Stranraer for the game on the Saturday. 

One slight issue was that the game ended up being postponed. 

Just now, Aidan said:

Montrose fans done something similar a few seasons ago, decided to make a night of it in Belfast on the fright before the relatively short journey across to Stranraer for the game on the Saturday. 

One slight issue was that the game ended up being postponed. 

Oooft. That's shite luck.

26 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Anyone had any luck getting through to the club shop to sort season tickets?

Yeah, did it now problem last night for the family. When I logged in it had the renewal of my current seats sitting in a folder with a tickbox waiting for me to just do that but I've moved us back round to where we used to sit.

Took me 10 minutes.

14 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Yeah, did it now problem last night for the family. When I logged in it had the renewal of my current seats sitting in a folder with a tickbox waiting for me to just do that but I've moved us back round to where we used to sit.

Took me 10 minutes.

I think the issue is no one has a login.  They've been trying call shop since Monday. It's not open until 10am and two of the three adults aren't around area at moment. 

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

I think the issue is no one has a login.  They've been trying call shop since Monday. It's not open until 10am and two of the three adults aren't around area at moment. 

I emailed them this morning and asked them to phone me when they had a chance. They phoned me early afternoon. I think the shop has just been really busy with renewals and the new strip. 

My better half ended up going down to the shop today to sort it out, I was unable to do it on-line, the seats we've been in for 10yrs were not in my renewal folder or available to me. Quelle surprise.

I still can't quite believe what happened on Sunday, incredible, that's why we love football etc etc. I had been resigned to relegation since the Tynecastle debacle, with a glimmer of hope after the win v D.Utd but quashed again v Killie and I saw no prospect of us beating Thistle over 2 legs. Had genuine sympathy for the Thistle fans who were having a great party in the sunshine. I kept telling others relegation would be good and a chance to reset on and off the field, new manager, new off-field staff where we are clearly struggling after key members departed, and maybe even a change of ownership because lets face it, that is coming. The current setup is unsustainable without up to £0.5M being written off every season, we are not alone in that respect in Scottish Football, but part of me wants a sustainable club even if that is being a yo-yo club down the divisions with a team full of cloggers. The Premiership was great at first but has become a bore, I've hardly been to an away game post-Covid, after hardly missing any for several years.

I was so looking forward to the Arbroath pies. Can we have new caterers please, this has been a disaster, I don't even consider going into Staggies Bar any more. 

Anyway, lets see what happens regarding management and squad. Lots of rumours doing the rounds. See you next season.

22 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

I don't think anyone really thinks Lennon is a great guy and the Robinson one.....well there's a reason why allegedly is used (as far as I know it's never gone to court or anything like that), but the Martindale example is a great reason why Malky should be far fucking removed from the club. 

Martindale has owned what he's done, never shrinks from it, talks openly about it and has served his time for what he did.  In fact, the Martindale story should be championed as it's very difficult to come out of prison and make a success in this day and age with the stigma that is forever attached, but he's done it.

I don't believe Malky has ever owned what he did, not truly.  When it first came out it was denial after denial....then deflections....then some small resemblance of acceptance and then a simple apology.  As for serving time, he got a management role with Wigan instead of the Palace job straight after before moving to a comfy role within the SFA. 

As for learning from it....well cast your mind back to last year when there were allegations of racist comments coming from within the County support in a game away to Dundee Utd. This prompted Courts to make a statement after the match by holding up a "Say No to Racism" shirt towards the County support.  Now when asked about this, instead of seeing the perfect opportunity to lead from the front, he instead decded to attack Courts.  That was the moment that confirmed my decision to stay away while he's there.

Just to correct you on something you said. Malky has indeed owned up to his mistakes - if I remember correctly he paid to do a course to properly educate himself to avoid another debacle re the text messages etc.

Also don't forget that FA conducted a review, believe it took a yr to complete, and at end of it he wasn't charged with anything - believe that text messages were nit forthcoming from his accusers. He also told Wigan that if he was charged he'd resign and freely walk away to avoid backlash on them.

Also KickItOut applauded the fact he got the SFA position.

As for the Racism at Tannadice thing, Courts over reacted and Malky acted appropriately because he waited for Full investigation Whereas Courts jumped straight in and was ultimately proved to have been wrong. And no apology for his actions was ever forthcoming.

As I tell folk you support your club as players and managers come and go but club are eternal.

6 hours ago, forkboy said:

Arbroath fans have done this away to Stranraer aswell,fly early morning Friday, afternoon/night out in Belfast early morning ferry to Stranraer,but we had seats booked on the supporters bus to get home after the game. 

30 minutes ago, Lowrie83 said:

Just to correct you on something you said.

Blah blah blah

As I tell folk you support your club as players and managers come and go but club are eternal.

I don't understand why anyone tries this kind of thing. 

You think you'd read your last sentence and think, "Ah, maybe I don't need to defend this manager after all", and leave it. But here we are.

The sooner he's gone, the better. County finished 11th. He's not worth defending.

7 hours ago, forkboy said:

This rings a bell with me!

22 minutes ago, Lowrie83 said:

Just to correct you on something you said. Malky has indeed owned up to his mistakes - if I remember correctly he paid to do a course to properly educate himself to avoid another debacle re the text messages etc.

Also don't forget that FA conducted a review, believe it took a yr to complete, and at end of it he wasn't charged with anything - believe that text messages were nit forthcoming from his accusers. He also told Wigan that if he was charged he'd resign and freely walk away to avoid backlash on them.

As for the Racism at Tannadice thing, Courts over reacted and Malky acted appropriately because he waited for Full investigation Whereas Courts jumped straight in and was ultimately proved to have been wrong. And no apology for his actions was ever forthcoming.

In 2014 Kick It Out were outraged he was appointed by Wigan.  In 2015 they were outraged that he wasn't charged with anything.  The FA could not charge him with anything as they did not have any rules regarding communication on private devices.  Malky then did an unconscious bias course ran by them.  He was then supported after that.  At that point they couldn't say anything more or they would just be admitting that their racism courses etc have no material worth.

The non racism at Tannadice was mishandled badly by the club.  All County/Malky had to say at the time that racism was abhorrent and that if anyone was found to have said anything, he could personally talk to them about their ignorance, as he was once guilty of it himself, and educate them.  That no further comment would be made until the investigation was concluded.  I am assuming that the club and not Malky chose to go down the route they did, so he went with the company line as that what he was paid to do.

The reaction to the racial abuse of Regan Charles-Cooke was considerably better handled and kudos to both Malky and the club for that.  

All they had to do at the start was address the elephant in the room fully.  They didn't and we are still talking about the same thing now.

10 hours ago, Lowrie83 said:

Also don't forget that FA conducted a review, believe it took a yr to complete, and at end of it he wasn't charged with anything - believe that text messages were nit forthcoming from his accusers.

I'd resolved not to get involved in this debate for the umpteenth time because so much of it is subjective and we all have our positions that are not going to change.

However, it's worth bringing some clarity on the FA point, especially as Roy himself tried to muddy the waters here by saying he'd been found "not guilty" and "exonerated", which is, at best, misrepresentation of the facts.

The FA investigation did not result in disciplinary action as, to that point, it was not their policy to bring charges “in respect of private communications sent with a legitimate expectation of privacy”. However, he was “spoken to” about the “inappropriateness of terms used in the messages”. Following the case, the FA instigated a review of how similar cases should be treated in the future.

10 hours ago, Lowrie83 said:

Whitewashing.  Imagine taking a course to learn not to call people gay snakes.   KickItOut do not speak for all minorities any more than the Conservative Party speaks for white people.  And the Courts thing was a manager defending his player.   Absolutely no issue with what he did at all.   Yet again, County handled the whole thing appallingly.  But anyway, it’s still middle aged grey white men passing judgement on a middle aged grey white man.   It’s been a couple of years since he was appointed.  I made these points at the time, and I’m not going to bore everyone again, except to say I have not given the club a penny since he was appointed, and won’t until he’s gone - whether I’m one of 50 or 1000, or three, is irrelevant to me.

On to the new signings please (assuming Malky isn’t going to get his jotters).   

21 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Whitewashing.  Imagine taking a course to learn not to call people gay snakes.   KickItOut do not speak for all minorities any more than the Conservative Party speaks for white people.  And the Courts thing was a manager defending his player.   Absolutely no issue with what he did at all.   Yet again, County handled the whole thing appallingly.  But anyway, it’s still middle aged grey white men passing judgement on a middle aged grey white man.   It’s been a couple of years since he was appointed.  I made these points at the time, and I’m not going to bore everyone again, except to say I have not given the club a penny since he was appointed, and won’t until he’s gone - whether I’m one of 50 or 1000, or three, is irrelevant to me.

On to the new signings please (assuming Malky isn’t going to get his jotters).   

Whilst I respect your decision, I'm not convinced you attended many matches before Malky's appointment anyway tbh.