The General Ross County Chat Thread

Tuesday night is massive. But I don't think the performance yesterday (going by the highlights) was as disappointing as the game at Livi albeit with a worse result. Generally, the performances are improved & I still have hope we will manage to avoid the playoffs (think Livi are doomed but will wait till after the game later in the month to make a more definite decision on that). The Adams appointment definitely hasn't gone as planned but the Malky sacking was still the right decision, just maybe made at an odd time. 

3 hours ago, USSR Tycoon said:

As much as St Johnstone were the worst team to visit Victoria Park yesterday and we again failed to score at home, the main difference was they signed a striker and we failed to do so. We have got worse since the sacking of Malky and relegation is inevitable. Not even good enough to win a playoff. At the end of the day loan signings don't care if the team gets relegated or not as they are off at the end of the seaon anyway.

I don’t understand this logic. Of course they care. Maybe not necessarily about the team but they don’t want a relegation on their cv. Even if it’s only for their personal gain they will still be giving all they can to try and help the team stay up. Also any player who is under contract for next season and beyond are just as easily able to leave at the end of the season if they don’t fancy a season in the championship so it’s not like their is some extra motivation for those players.

Edited by PB1994

Yesterday felt like there was no team spirit amongst them. Shocking game and the real frustration was Saints didn't look that great either. A poor team won the game. 1st half particularly County were absolutely terrible, while things improved in 2nd half, that was soon nullified by Levein's subs. County subs made things worse,

I was no Malky fan (I did still attend games, so wasn't a boycotter). Yet under Malky, even though results were going against them, it still felt like the players were still fighting for the team. I was still expecting a battle to avoid play offs, yet was more confident of them staying up. Not sad to see him go, just feel things turned even worse now.

Whether true or not, I read a Facebook comment (I know, I know..) of a fan who watches them train occasionally. He said he noticed a drop of of enthusiasm amongst the players since Adams returned. I still hope to be proved totally wrong.

Huge game against Motherwell!

22 hours ago, Sonam said:

Yesterday felt like there was no team spirit amongst them. Shocking game and the real frustration was Saints didn't look that great either. A poor team won the game. 1st half particularly County were absolutely terrible, while things improved in 2nd half, that was soon nullified by Levein's subs. County subs made things worse,

I was no Malky fan (I did still attend games, so wasn't a boycotter). Yet under Malky, even though results were going against them, it still felt like the players were still fighting for the team. I was still expecting a battle to avoid play offs, yet was more confident of them staying up. Not sad to see him go, just feel things turned even worse now.

Whether true or not, I read a Facebook comment (I know, I know..) of a fan who watches them train occasionally. He said he noticed a drop of of enthusiasm amongst the players since Adams returned. I still hope to be proved totally wrong.

Huge game against Motherwell!

I honestly thought we played well - the first half up until the goal there was some nice stuff played and we created a few really good chances.  I think we lack a bit of composure in front of goal and/or maybe a bit of luck.  Fewer of the chances fell to a midfielder or striker.  After the goal there was a period of it feeling like heads going down.  I think after the first 15-20 minutes of the second half we got our groove back a bit but still not that composure near goal.  I barely recall any of the strikers getting a clear chance.  For me though I felt things had progressed since the Aberdeen and Partick games both of which I was at - so came away disappointed but wondering if there is any room left for a bit of hope as well

A lot of games this month. Perhaps being knocked out of the Cup may help the team. Squad is thin, lack quality on the bench. Need a striker other than Murray to hit form. 

Motherwell (A) - Tue 6th

Rangers (H) - Wed 14th

Dundee (A) - Sat 17th

Livingston (H) - Sat 24th

St. Mirren (H) - Tue 27th

This Motherwell match tomorrow gives me the nerves. I would even be reasonable happy with a good performance and a point tbh. Would be superb to win it somehow, even if shitfesting it. 

10 minutes ago, Sonam said:

A lot of games this month. Perhaps being knocked out of the Cup may help the team. Squad is thin, lack quality on the bench. Need a striker other than Murray to hit form. 

Motherwell (A) - Tue 6th

Rangers (H) - Wed 14th

Dundee (A) - Sat 17th

Livingston (H) - Sat 24th

St. Mirren (H) - Tue 27th

This Motherwell match tomorrow gives me the nerves. I would even be reasonable happy with a good performance and a point tbh. Would be superb to win it somehow, even if shitfesting it. 

I think it’s imperative that we take at least 7 points this month, and that has to be including beating Livi and not getting beat tomorrow night. 

Had to win 1 of the last 3. We haven't. I've been one of Adams' biggest defenders since he came back but the 2 performances I've seen in those 3 games, with the players he has signed, haven't been good enough. Sacking Malky was still the right choice, but turns out Adams was the wrong choice. 

Uncle Roy has a big decision to make after that result, sacking Adams is the easy bit, appointing a manager who can get a tune out of the squad before it’s too late, will be the really difficult part.

On 04/02/2024 at 14:28, PB1994 said:

I don’t understand this logic. Of course they care. Maybe not necessarily about the team but they don’t want a relegation on their cv. Even if it’s only for their personal gain they will still be giving all they can to try and help the team stay up. Also any player who is under contract for next season and beyond are just as easily able to leave at the end of the season if they don’t fancy a season in the championship so it’s not like their is some extra motivation for those players.

Aye, loan players are still professionals who mostly (there'll be exceptions of course) take pride in their work & if nothing else will be trying to impress on loan to either increase their chances at their home club or to put themselves in the shop window. The problem is if the loan signings just aren't very good.

Entirely agree with whoever it was that said that the constant squad turnover doesn't help any, & it's been a long term problem, & apparently one that Adams thinks isn't a problem for some reason. Guys who've played together for several years get to know each others strengths & weaknesses & play to them & cover for them & all that quite important stuff. The "cobble a new squad every 6 months" thing is also made worse by the fact the players brought in often seem to be pretty hopeless. Get that getting folk to move up north might not be the easiest thing but christ, there has to be serious questions asked around the scouting department on top of everything else.

The first that comes to mind being do we even have one?

Edited by forkboy

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Uncle Roy has a big decision to make after that result, sacking Adams is the easy bit, appointing a manager who can get a tune out of the squad before it’s too late, will be the really difficult part.

The scorched earth he will leave behind him is unlikely to recover by Spring. Will that be enough to save the whole season? There are still six points to play for in head-to-heads vs Livingston.

1. It absolutely was right to get shot of Malky. His time was up, and we were going nowhere

2. Derek actually seemed like a reasonable shout at the time, plenty of experience, knew the club, hope that some of the rough edges polished off

3. First three games actually went OK, with a January window to rebuild.

4. Lost the plot in post match interview and pretty much spiralled from there.

I really wanted this to work. It really hasn't.