Dundee FC Vs Patrick Thistle - Opening Day - 30/07/22

Disappointing but ultimately quite an exciting match. Early days but Tyler French doesn’t look like a footballer to me, although Sweeney’s f**k up, after the flukey first, really put us on the back foot.
Good spirit to keep battling and on another day we’d have got a draw.
I like Thistle though, and McCall, so good luck this season lads.

Happy with that. Would’ve taken any kind of win prior to kick off - and especially when I seen we had 0 natural CBs playing. Still don’t think everything has clicked yet which makes it all the more exciting for the weeks to come. Quality in abundance in attack, Fitzy was terrific and to be able to bring him off and replace with Tiffoney (who was arguably the best winger in the division last season) speaks volumes about the squad been built this season. The only disappointment is making it difficult late on, when we could’ve and should’ve been 3 up before HT - but 3 points is 3 points.

Not totally despondent by that as I probably should be.

Again, will wait on the replay but do think Sharp should have saved the first. Didn't seem right in the corner nor did it seem very high into the net either. As I said before though, happy to be corrected on that and it was a fine bit of play between the Partick Thistle players beforehand so possibly one of those where you just have to hold your hands up.

Second goal was absolutely calamitious. Sweeney seemed to want Sharp to get involved and Sharp expected Sweeney to clear it with not one bit of communication with each other, Sweeney then slices it and the Partick Thistle player has a gaping net. An absolute howler any way you cut it and Sweeney is supposed to be our captain so his communication skills should be on point.

Third goal was just very sloppy across the whole backline. Quick counter from Partick and no-one knew who they were marking. Terrible defending by all. French really concerns me. Seems to lose his man quite a lot and did so in the first half and almost allowed Partick Thistle to seal the win in the opening 45 which Graham thankfully missed.

Final thing that annoyed me was the first McPake-esque sub by Bowyer by taking McGinn off at HT for Rudden and just simply putting Jakubiak in a position he's not that effective in.

Came back into the game slowly and we're still very dangerous from set-pieces when McMullan actually beats the first man. I reckon Bowyer will have learnt a lot about the squad and the deficiencies of last season certainly reared their head today so it's a slightly good thing that it happened today than later on in the season when Bowyer has no time to address it.

Thought Harry Milne was superb for Partick Thistle, feel like we've missed out on one with him. Partick Thistle were efficient on the counter and quick at getting bodies back. They'll be up there this season.

We badly, badly need McGowan to provide a bit of calmness in the centre of the park. The likes of Byrne & Williamson are far too similar to each other to be playing beside each other and Anderson had a really, really quiet day.

Overall, a stinger of a result but as long as stuff is learned from it, it shouldn't necessarily be a major deal. Liked the little cameo that Robinson provided.

Edited by Ludo*1

On 26/07/2022 at 17:26, K.T said:

We are the club that cares and will accommodate the lesser teams as best we can. Thank you for the money, it will be handy for purchasing various things like trophy polish and an open top bus at the end of the season. 

On 26/07/2022 at 17:47, The Derry said:

What a brilliant club we are.  Constantly going above and beyond for little diddy teams.  That decision is sure to put an extra 4 Partick fans in attendance.

On 27/07/2022 at 09:02, Pens_Dark said:

After pages of bitter conflict with the Thistle fans I wish to draw a line in the sand and have a sensible conversation about the upcoming football match.

I hope we pump you weegie f**ks.

On 28/07/2022 at 15:10, Pens_Dark said:

I haven't seen them in a few seasons. One thing is for certain, though, that McCall is still a wee fat b*****d.

On 28/07/2022 at 17:09, MarbellaDEE said:

Off to the Dam for the weekend. Get these weegies pumped please Dundee.

Thank you. 

On 29/07/2022 at 08:09, Mr. Alli said:

Alex-Jakubiak-scaled-e1633339074531.thumb.png.f7156c97a99d614e6c747c7e5d18600d.png

#KodakJak.

18 hours ago, Crawford said:

Happy Pumpmas Eve.

29c50027c05abf01109b1a99120e9a02.gif

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not totally despondent by that as I probably should be.

Again, will wait on the replay but do think Sharp should have saved the first. Didn't seem right in the corner nor did it seem very high into the net either. As I said before though, happy to be corrected on that and it was a fine bit of play between the Partick Thistle players beforehand so possibly one of those where you just have to hold your hands up.

Second goal was absolutely calamitious. Sweeney seemed to want Sharp to get involved and Sharp expected Sweeney to clear it with not one bit of communication with each other, Sweeney then slices it and the Partick Thistle player has a gaping net. An absolute howler any way you cut it and Sweeney is supposed to be our captain so his communication skills should be on point.

Third goal was just very sloppy across the whole backline. Quick counter from Partick and no-one knew who they were marking. Terrible defending by all. French really concerns me. Seems to lose his man quite a lot and did so in the first half and almost allowed Partick Thistle to seal the win in the opening 45 which Graham thankfully missed.

Final thing that annoyed me was the first McPake-esque sub by Bowyer by taking McGinn off at HT for Rudden and just simply putting Jakubiak in a position he's not that effective in.

Came back into the game slowly and we're still very dangerous from set-pieces when McMullan actually beats the first man. I reckon Bowyer will have learnt a lot about the squad and the deficiencies of last season certainly reared their head today so it's a slightly good thing that it happened today than later on in the season when Bowyer has no time to address it.

Thought Harry Milne was superb for Partick Thistle, feel like we've missed out on one with him. Partick Thistle were efficient on the counter and quick at getting bodies back. They'll be up there this season.

We badly, badly need McGowan to provide a bit of calmness in the centre of the park. The likes of Byrne & Williamson are far too similar to each other to be playing beside each other and Anderson had a really, really quiet day.

Overall, a stinger of a result but as long as stuff is learned from it, it shouldn't necessarily be a major deal. Liked the little cameo that Robinson provided.

Their first goal looked like a deflection from my seat in The Derry.

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Their first goal looked like a deflection from my seat in The Derry.

It was.  2nd goal was a brain fart by Sweeney - although if Sharp played a higher line he clears it - out of play obviously - but he still clears it.   

Delighted with that especially with a makeshift defence, definitely knew it wasn't game over at 3-0. 

4 goals out of 6 so far conceded this season from corners, not great but it's something that can hopefully be addressed, though it is related to us having quite a few wee guys in the team. 

As said, the difference in attacking depth this year compared to last when we were bringing on pap like Hastie, Gordon, Maciver, Alegría etc is massive. 

This thread should be a good start to finish read come the morning. 

7 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Delighted with that especially with a makeshift defence, definitely knew it wasn't game over at 3-0. 

4 goals out of 6 so far conceded this season from corners, not great but it's something that can hopefully be addressed, though it is related to us having quite a few wee guys in the team. 

As said, the difference in attacking depth this year compared to last when we were bringing on pap like Hastie, Gordon, Maciver, Alegría etc is massive. 

This thread should be a good start to finish read come the morning. 

Aye.  Sorry about that.  How was Cole McKinnon today?

Our fans are definitely the 12th man for the opposition. Some of the shouts from the Bobby Cox were a disgrace, especially some fat p***k abusing Williamson when he was subbed and walking behind the goal. Boy looked broken, staring right into the stand at him. Lots of homophobic shouts from that p***k as well. He left early, hope he doesn’t come back.

A climb down from their ticketing arrangements and then gubbed at home. Dundee telt. Pleasing. 

On a serious note, that was an odd, but thoroughly enjoyable, game of football. 

I'm obviously delighted we won and we played some great stuff to get three up but not getting carried away with that. 

I didn't feel comfortable at 3-0 but strangely kind of relaxed at 3-2. Perhaps I was just resigned to a Rudden equaliser. 

If I were a Dundee fan I'd be more concerned at their defence than we should be about ours. We had three central defenders out and that was a contributory factor in conceding two cheap goals from corners. 

Good start and a good day. 

4 minutes ago, K.T said:

Our fans are definitely the 12th man for the opposition. Some of the shouts from the Bobby Cox were a disgrace, especially some fat p***k abusing Williamson when he was subbed and walking behind the goal. Boy looked broken, staring right into the stand at him. Lots of homophobic shouts from that p***k as well. He left early, hope he doesn’t come back.

That's sad to hear. Boy needs called out and banned. No time for that shite.