How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

11 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I do get that too. It's striking a balance between meaningful games and reasonable opportunities for teams to progress.

One of the notable features of the last few years is the fall off in crowds for teams like Dunfermline and Partick.

Is that backed up by evidence?

Just smash 20 teams into two leagues, it's not ****ing hard is it.

Blue/Green pound, yes/maybe, but is that really worth the fact that we have to put up with the likes of Livi (no offence, much respect) in the Premier League whilst well supported/badly owned teams like Falkirk and Dunfermline perennially languish?

I'm a simp for well supported teams in the Scottish top flight, that's my thing. 

I understand that there's not a snowball's chance in hell that team will challenge the ugly sisters, the financial disparity is too large and will likely not change in my lifetime. Also, I suspect even if some billionaire/rich government sportwashing concern bought one of the "better diddies" the bigots' and the football authorities in Scotland would find some way to cancel that out to maintain the duopoly (I'd guess if Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts etc found themselves will millions to spen the SFA/SPFL would be all over them with FFP like flies on a turd)

It'll never happen, and even if it did it'll never work!

21 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Just smash 20 teams into two leagues, it's not ****ing hard is it.

Blue/Green pound, yes/maybe, but is that really worth the fact that we have to put up with the likes of Livi (no offence, much respect) in the Premier League whilst well supported/badly owned teams like Falkirk and Dunfermline perennially languish?

I'm a simp for well supported teams in the Scottish top flight, that's my thing. 

Nah Livingston deserve their place. Football should always be a meritocracy. It shouldn't matter what crowds some teams might get sometimes.

On 25/08/2022 at 22:58, G51 said:

The problem with football communism is that eventually the diddies will run out of other peoples money.

Because they'll spend it on shite like Rocky Bushiri and Kevin Van Veen. 

Kevin Van Veen. Shite. OK.

A 20 team top league is the starting point. With the pyramid now established below this that can now be rejigged too, (not the Conference League idea that's idiotic). Reduces the boredom of playing the same teams so often, and makes the big derbies etc. more of an event when they come round. Also helps develop youngsters by giving them game time with less peril if they make mistakes.

Nothing positive will happen though.

13 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

True, from the perspective of a Hearts fan (I get this being from originally a Gorgie-based family).  However, with a larger league you'd also have larger not-quite-so-diddy clubs like Dundee, Dunfermline, Partick or Falkirk being more of a consistent feature in the top league (instead of being perennial yo-yos as now) - as well as giving the odd semi-decent diddy clubs like Inverness, Raith, Morton, Ayr and QOS their days in the sun now and then.  If you shut down the opportunity to progress for the "have-nots" then you create a very sterile and stagnant pond, which is basically where we are heading now.

Generous to call Falkirk a yo-yo club 

Here me out, since the broadcaster, SFA, Doncaster and their fans only have interest them and circumventing pyramids, create 8 new regional teams and form a new breakaway top tier. Since all they care about bragging rights, the them and us thing, singing about wars in other countries let them do so 20x a season. Let the bile pound flow.

For the 16 games against fellow brethren, they can try out tifo'ing each others all black wearing paramilitary ultras with scarves knotted mid nipple. The Green clubs are contractually obliged to steal other songs synonymous with English clubs, "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles", "The Liquidator", etc. The Blues unfortunately are not afforded credit terms and must pay for everything up front.

Saves on the charade of Sky sending cameras to Almondvale or SMiSA to adhere to any obligations. All games hosted at Ibrox and Parkhead, Chris Sutton and Fat Sally/Chris Boyd mud wrestle in a paddling pool at half time.

Newco

Celtic

Newco Colts

Celtic Colts

Lothian & Borders Shamrocks

Lothian & Borders Staunch Loyal

Central, Fife & Tayside Entitled

Central, Fife & Tayside Victims

Grampian and Highlands Peepul

Grampian and Highlands Oppressed

The rest of us can compete in a competitive 16 team 2nd tier where in theory anyone can win it on opening day, you know ...... sport. The arrangement is they get the champions League spot and playoff until Putin is deposed. The rest of us get the 3 other diddy UEFA places. I actually think the authorities, Tories and a good number of their fans would buy in.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Nah Livingston deserve their place. Football should always be a meritocracy. It shouldn't matter what crowds some teams might get sometimes.

You're right of-course, Livi deserve their place indeed and make a big contribution to the fabric of Scottish football. I was evidently fairly pished whilst typing and my apologies for that.

That said I still desire a bigger top flight, ideally 20 teams.

As the songs about long-ago famines and civil wars burst from the East Stand yeasterday, I was musing about what songs actual fitba supporters could respond with. I came up with;

Irish History's boring

Irish History's boring

Na na na na

Na na na na

And if it's not that club but their business partners and co-ruiners of Scottish football, when the vainglorious mince about 17th century battles - 17th century! - and other stuff starts getting aired, how about...

Ulster is a ****hole

Ulster is a ****hole

Na na na na

Na na na na

OK, could be better. Let's hear your offerings in the Eurovision Ripostes to the Oldfirm Contest.

1 minute ago, KirkieRR said:

As the songs about long-ago famines and civil wars burst from the East Stand yeasterday, I was musing about what songs actual fitba supporters could respond with. I came up with;

Irish History's boring

Irish History's boring

Na na na na

Na na na na

And if it's not that club but their business partners and co-ruiners of Scottish football, when the vainglorious mince about 17th century battles - 17th century! - and other stuff starts getting aired, how about...

Ulster is a ****hole

Ulster is a ****hole

Na na na na

Na na na na

OK, could be better. Let's hear your offerings in the Eurovision Ripostes to the Oldfirm Contest.

What the f**k did I just read

13 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Is that backed up by evidence?

I haven't studied it in detail but I remember core supports of plus 5000 and larger turnouts for big games.

The capacity of Rugby Park was optimistic when it was redeveloped but Killie regularly had 10000 plus at that time.

They don't now.

1 hour ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I haven't studied it in detail but I remember core supports of plus 5000 and larger turnouts for big games.

The capacity of Rugby Park was optimistic when it was redeveloped but Killie regularly had 10000 plus at that time.

They don't now.

Kilmarnock averaged 11,000 back in 1999. St Johnstone averaged over 7000. At the start of the SPL, crowds were pretty good for a while, until we realised it was the usual predictable dross.

On 04/06/2023 at 13:21, tamba_trio said:

Kilmarnock averaged 11,000 back in 1999. St Johnstone averaged over 7000. At the start of the SPL, crowds were pretty good for a while, until we realised it was the usual predictable dross.

What do you think accounts for the rise in attendances in Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in that time?