How do you solve a problem like the Scottish Premiership?

52 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I know that our game conspires at virtually every opportunity to further advantage the OF.

I've gotta say, however, that the above theory sounds like a reach.

My thoughts too. Can’t get onboard with this one.

I don’t particularly like a major cup competition being treated a bit like pre season but don’t think it’s some sort of ploy to help the big clubs. 

Also plenty of youngsters do actually get a chance (from my experience last season) in competitive games before either pushing on in the league or going out on respective loans. 

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Depriving the lower placed clubs a proper pre-season with a chance to introduce young players in the relaxed environment of pre-season friendlies and instead forcing them into the nonsense of competitive  football in the middle of July certainly doesn't help. It's almost as though this new sectional League Cup format was deliberately designed to hand the Old Firm even more of an advantage..

It's also decreasing the chances of some teams picking up a trophy/getting a good cup run. Also could increase the chances of picking up injuries by playing competitive games so early.

A stupid idea which needs binned.

League Cup groups are good, but clubs should be allowed to field trialists, as long as they name them.

It's not fair that clubs down the leagues can't use these games to get a look at players they might want for the season while these games are removing days to play friendlies or bounce games to judge players. And then that obviously leads to really weak subs' benches and skewed games.

Also, stop seeding the last sixteen. There's no reason for it.

4 hours ago, gannonball said:

Its not 'wonderful' but it brings  competitive football before the league starts without the monopoly of straight knock out football. The only reason why we are in Japan is because we don't have the usual European 'qualifiers' to navigate past this season.

Straight in to the pump gs. In the group stage then. 

3 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Why do you need 'competitive football before the season starts' ? A couple of dodgy results, a defeat or two in a penalty shootout and a club may be out of one of only two competitions they could ever hope to win by August. It's insanity. And all because of this crazed obsession with 'meaningful' matches. I can remember the previous League Cup sections. Every club involved and didn't start until August. And Celtic's pre-season warm-up consisting of a close defeat down the A74 to Carlisle Utd followed by Leeds Utd or Manchester City in Glasgow rarely did them any harm. 

The previous league cup format was so long ago i can't remember it and i'm no Spring Chicken. 

In 1983 the UEFA cup started in September. In 2016 we played Fola Esch in June. 

As well as UEFA milking it's cash cows with group formats, there's the impact of 20ish additional associations out of Yugoslavia and the USSR (Czech/Slovakia is offset by German reunification). 

I reckon these are all relevant points, but i've had a long and annoying day so i can't be bothered articulating them in to any sort of point. 

On 19/07/2023 at 14:09, bennett said:

It's also decreasing the chances of some teams picking up a trophy/getting a good cup run. Also could increase the chances of picking up injuries by playing competitive games so early.

A stupid idea which needs binned.

At last a voice of sanity ⭐

On 19/07/2023 at 14:48, Monkey Tennis said:

I quite like it.

I can't be arsed with friendlies, and this League Cup format does for pre-season ones what the Nations' League did for International ones.

If you can't be arsed with friendlies then don't go. But a proper pre-season shouldn't about what 'you like' it should be about giving your club's manager and squad a decent and pressure free preparation period before the competitive season kicks off in order that they are at their best and fittest once points and advancement in the League Cup is at stake. If I was emotionally invested in a club that's what 'i'd like'. Not being turfed out of a cup competition before August because my coaching staff didn't have a decent period of time to properly prepare a squad.

3 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

If you can't be arsed with friendlies then don't go. But a proper pre-season shouldn't about what 'you like' it should be about giving your club's manager and squad a decent and pressure free preparation period before the competitive season kicks off in order that they are at their best and fittest once points and advancement in the League Cup is at stake. If I was emotionally invested in a club that's what 'i'd like'. Not being turfed out of a cup competition before August because my coaching staff didn't have a decent period of time to properly prepare a squad.

Same for everyone at my club's level.  The teams they're up against will face a similar 'handicap' so it's fine.

On 21/07/2023 at 10:21, kennie makevin said:

Good point but rather than having a one off tie the format gives 40 clubs good preparation and a little income in July.  The seeded format means the top tier club will most likely qualify which reduces the pressure on managers.

Friendlies have had their day and if you look at the major clubs heading around the world pre-season is all about making money and promoting the brand.  While games like Hearts v Leeds look good, these friendlies don't attract the same crowds they used too.

Maybe one of the reasons for the lack of competition is the quality of managers coming through.  I think the manager is the most important part of a club.

Has every team in the league got the best manager they can afford?  There is maybe about four clubs that have while the others are likely to take a punt on an old player who has kust finished his playing career.

The best managers have a hunger to succeed but I don't see that personality in many of the Scottish managers.

On 24/07/2023 at 21:17, Eder said:

Maybe one of the reasons for the lack of competition is the quality of managers coming through.  I think the manager is the most important part of a club.

Has every team in the league got the best manager they can afford?  There is maybe about four clubs that have while the others are likely to take a punt on an old player who has kust finished his playing career.

The best managers have a hunger to succeed but I don't see that personality in many of the Scottish managers.

Self serving shit.

The reason the top two are so far ahead is their wealth.  It truly is that simple.  Their wealth also enables them to employ better managers, but as we've seen, they sometimes make an arse of it.

Don't kid yourself that an Alex Ferguson or Jim McLean could have a similar impact in today's Scottish landscape, because they wouldn't.  

Steve Clarke did very well at Kilmarnock, but still couldn't get close over a League season.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

On 25/07/2023 at 09:50, Monkey Tennis said:

Don't kid yourself that an Alex Ferguson or Jim McLean could have a similar impact in today's Scottish landscape, because they wouldn't.  

Ferguson at Aberdeen these days would get them a third place and a decent cup run, then be off to Huddersfield or Norwich. It's a different world.

38 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

Ferguson at Aberdeen these days would get them a third place and a decent cup run, then be off to Huddersfield or Norwich. It's a different world.

Ferguson would probably have been sacked after Morton knocked us out of the cup or after Airdrie beat us 3-0 in the league cup if today’s standards applied back then! 😂😂😂

• 2 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67205302

Understandable. They probably actually considered a club in Scotland or indeed Ireland for, oh, one second? Probably less. Could have posted this in any number of threads, but seeing as how the story pretty much leads to the fact that the ceiling was getting their arses handed to them on a plate by the uglies in the top flight, this seemed as good a place as any. 

Edited by pozbaird

Wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea but I’d take a leaf out of American Sports book and go for a massive league (say 30 teams) top 16 qualify for the playoffs and play home and away up to the single leg semi, then neutral venues for semi and finals. The arsecheeks would probably still win most years but I reckon Hearts/Aberdeen/Hibs etc would fancy their chances over 2 legs against the OF. 

Bottom 4/6/8 play in a mini league or playoffs to decide who gets relegated. 

This was just off the top of my head and with 30 teams you would be dipping into part time seaside league territory but a good laugh all the same. 
Hopefully the old firm would get pissed off, go to England cap in hand, leave and we could revert back to a normal league set up :lol: