Ayr vs Thistle - 10th September 2022

Very critical on here of Bullen’s substitutions but McGinty for Reading was a masterstroke. Reading would be as well not being there when defending so putting Musonda out there helped massively. Also a prime example of when the Ashford and McKenzie subs should be made. That being when we are actually winning.

14 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Very critical on here of Bullen’s substitutions but McGinty for Reading was a masterstroke. Reading would be as well not being there when defending so putting Musonda out there helped massively. Also a prime example of when the Ashford and McKenzie subs should be made. That being when we are actually winning.

Yeah. Everything Partick were doing was coming down that side. Moving Musonda out there and having Ashford on for Chalmers closed that down a lot more. Plus McGinty was excellent when he came on.

Excellent win in the end but the 2 defences were like watching kids football until we changed it

Strange feeing of frustration, annoyance and joy after that tonight. First half, we haven't put in a performance like that since the Kilmarnock game, it looked like we were going to be 5 down by half time. 

Thistle closed us down and kept us pretty much in our own half, the first time they didn't, we scored. We gave away another dreadful goal immediately after and the game opened up a bit. Brownlies own goal was a work of art. 

We shat the bed again defensively to concede but from then on, Thistle looked tired and Ayr were just shite, couldn't find passes, lost possession and didn't get any flow going, the third goal was a good pass from Murdoch and Mitchell sold his far post to Mullen. After that we got a bit of momentum going but still didn't look great. We looked better once Dipo went off and Young played up front on his own, he held the ball up well. 

Some ropey defending and Collum's dreadful refereeing put us under 5 or so minutes of pressure towards the end until McKenzie scored. 

Turner and Milne played well for thistle, Bannigan ran the show in the first half but ran out of puff before half time. 

Kirk was immense at the back, Houston played well also, Dempsey and Young were also good.  

Holt’s injury has left a bigger hole than first thought.Really struggling to see how McCall can sort this out before January window as Brownlie and Akinola are just not up to it .And with a usually solid Murdoch and the creative menace of Tiff also out we’re stalling at an alarming rate as the fragility of our team is laid bare even against an average Ayr who deserved their victory tonight .

Darren Brownlies headed OG was a thing of beauty. Thought Thistle created several decent chances when they got forward but defensively were utterly honking. An impressive feat given how shaky at the back we looked in the first half.

Thought Mullin and Brad Young were excellent for us up front. Kirk excellent as well. McGinty coming on helped stabilise the back line and was very effective in the air. Reading had a poor game and looked lacking in confidence somewhat.

Edited by Oceanlineayr

That was one of the most entertainingly shite games I’ve ever been to.  I thought our first goal was an OG as well, but maybe it was some kind of optical illusion.  The 2nd OG was just mental - under zero pressure and just bullets the header into the top corner.  Lots to like about this Ayr team, but I do think we need to have a think about the formation - I thought Murdoch and Dempsey were excellent, but are being asked to cover too much ground.

An absolutely brilliant result tonight in a game where neither team played particularly well. I have a feeling Thistle came to play a scrappy game and our midfield couldn't do anything about it. Struggled a lot at times and had to defend well but when we had our chances we took them. Mullins goal in particular was a belter. He's becoming a real favourite of mine and I think he's such an intelligent player. It helps massively to have an experienced player in that area of the pitch. Houston, Young, Kirk and Chalmers all had great games as well. 

We're still conceding too many stupid and avoidable goals though. Bullen will know that though and has said there's a few things we need to tighten up on before Saturday. I'd be surprised if the defence isn't one of them. Musonda at left back for a few games could be a viable option but there's always a mistake round the corner with McGinty and Musonda is very important to us where he is.

A very pleasant evening supporting the Super though and made all the better by the thought of McCall toddling home to neck a half bottle to console himself. 

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

That was one of the most entertainingly shite games I’ve ever been to.  I thought our first goal was an OG as well, but maybe it was some kind of optical illusion.  The 2nd OG was just mental - under zero pressure and just bullets the header into the top corner.  Lots to like about this Ayr team, but I do think we need to have a think about the formation - I thought Murdoch and Dempsey were excellent, but are being asked to cover too much ground.

I too was sure the first goal was an O.G. But no one else seems to have mentioned this, perhaps it’s just the 2 of us in this parallel universe?

Just now, North Terrace Gazza said:

I too was sure the first goal was an O.G. But no one else seems to have mentioned this, perhaps it’s just the 2 of us in this parallel universe?

I was on North Terrace about 10 yards into the Partick half and also thought it was a clear OG.  Voice of Reason tweeted that defender had kicked it off Chalmers though so who knows.  I'm sure our excellent highlights package will clear it up 🤣

8 minutes ago, Nelson said:

but I do think we need to have a think about the formation

It's an attacking formation that lets us stretch teams. 

It is f**k all use if we don't have the ball though, like Saturday and tonight, put pressure on the midfield 2, force us to play the ball long, 2 big guys on Dipo and we are done. 

It's an attacking formation that lets us stretch teams. 

It is f**k all use if we don't have the ball though, like Saturday and tonight, put pressure on the midfield 2, force us to play the ball long, 2 big guys on Dipo and we are done. 

Aye if you’re wanting to kick the ball long then your best bet is up the wings and let Chalmers and Young chase it or pressure the full backs. I’d imagine a large portion of our goals have come from winning the ball high up the pitch.

There are times when we need that extra body in midfield but I’m not sure if Smith is ready to play consistently in there. Something to look at in January along with the defence maybe.

9 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I was on North Terrace about 10 yards into the Partick half and also thought it was a clear OG.  Voice of Reason tweeted that defender had kicked it off Chalmers though so who knows.  I'm sure our excellent highlights package will clear it up 🤣

I also thought the keeper and Akinola contrived to put it in, Chalmers seemed to be quite far away from the ball? It could just have been the angle from the NT. 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye if you’re wanting to kick the ball long then your best bet is up the wings and let Chalmers and Young chase it or pressure the full backs. I’d imagine a large portion of our goals have come from winning the ball high up the pitch.

There are times when we need that extra body in midfield but I’m not sure if Smith is ready to play consistently in there. Something to look at in January along with the defence maybe.

Bangala conspicuously omitted here.

Bangala conspicuously omitted here.

I think a midfield of Bangala, Dempsey and Murdoch is a bit too conservative. Dempsey can get further forward but I think you need a more attacking player in there. I think Smith can do that with a bit more time.

Fwiw I think it’s clear Bullen doesn’t rate Bangala. He’s a defensive midfielder and wasn’t brought on tonight to try and see the game out. Says a lot for me.

Going back to something I said earlier , I don't think Weston is the silver bullet, not least because our bigger issue is at the other end of the pitch but he at least tried like f**k when he came on, Mullen struts about like he's Ibrahimovic and just jogs back when he loses the ball.

Fitzpatrick looks huge and not in a good way, was surprised to read comments when he re-signed saying "he's filled out", he was always well-built which is why he was able to play in the first team at 17 without getting shoved around, but he looks as if he's gone too far the other way now and whether he's fat or musclebound he doesn't have the engine to get up and down the wing at the moment which is concerning for a 21 year old.