Stalking

ICTChris

A man has been sentenced to eight years in prison for breaching a restraining order forbidding him from contacting the journalist Emily Maitlis.  Edward Vine has been jailed repeatedly over the past 20 years for contacting Maitlis in breach of the order, imposed after he repeatedly attempted to contact her against her will.  Vine claims to have met Maitlis at University and appears to have been obsessed with her ever since.  It must be very distressing for Emily Maitlis but the whole thing seems rather sad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-62794944

Stalking is a crime associated with celebrities (particularly the obsessed fan) but it's also something that happens in everyday life, some surveys suggesting that there is a fairly high prevelence of stalking among the public with women more affected than men.  Social media must obviously make stalking a lot easier - prior to Facebook and Instagram you could leave a relationship and, depending on your circumstances, never see your ex again but now keeping tabs is much easier.

Have any P&Bers ever been stalked?

Have any P&Bers ever stalked anyone?

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A man has been sentenced to eight years in prison for breaching a restraining order forbidding him from contacting the journalist Emily Maitlis.  Edward Vine has been jailed repeatedly over the past 20 years for contacting Maitlis in breach of the order, imposed after he repeatedly attempted to contact her against her will.  Vine claims to have met Maitlis at University and appears to have been obsessed with her ever since.  It must be very distressing for Emily Maitlis but the whole thing seems rather sad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-62794944

Stalking is a crime associated with celebrities (particularly the obsessed fan) but it's also something that happens in everyday life, some surveys suggesting that there is a fairly high prevelence of stalking among the public with women more affected than men.  Social media must obviously make stalking a lot easier - prior to Facebook and Instagram you could leave a relationship and, depending on your circumstances, never see your ex again but now keeping tabs is much easier.

Have any P&Bers ever been stalked?

Have any P&Bers ever stalked anyone?

I've been stalked.

The woman who stalked me was a client of a company my work did business with.

She kept in touch for a bit after the business relationship was over. This isn't entirely unusual, relationship building etc. But then she started appearing at the place I went for lunch with some colleagues. Then she appeared outside work after I'd finished. Several times. Then she appeared at the end of my street. It went on and on and what started out awkward and weird soon became quite concerning.

It all got a bit out of hand. Initially the police fobbed me off, but eventually they had a word and this seemed to put the shiters up her and it stopped.

So, aye, I've had a stalker. It's not fun.

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I've been stalked.

The woman who stalked me was a client of a company my work did business with.

She kept in touch for a bit after the business relationship was over. This isn't entirely unusual, relationship building etc. But then she started appearing at the place I went for lunch with some colleagues. Then she appeared outside work after I'd finished. Several times. Then she appeared at the end of my street. It went on and on and what started out awkward and weird soon became quite concerning.

It all got a bit out of hand. Initially the police fobbed me off, but eventually they had a word and this seemed to put the shiters up her and it stopped.

So, aye, I've had a stalker. It's not fun.

Bet she was some ride but?

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’ve known two woman who have been stalked. One was working for Scottish water and living in leith and doing a car share with a co worker who lived in same building was a good bit older than her and sounded like a total dork. Think she led him on a bit and he got proper scary and she had to move to Inverness to get away from him.

Was her name Jana?

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

Its a hard one for the police to do anything about as the stalker probably isn’t doing anything illegal for most of the time

This was my problem. First time I involved the police I actually went to my local police station to report it and in all honesty they made me feel pretty silly about it.

Standing outside isn't a crime. Being in a restaurant isn't a crime. Being outside an office isn't a crime.

I had to bring it up with my work, who brought it up with her work. She denied it, so one day my gaffer called the police as she was waiting outside again. By the third time he did this, the police decided it might save everyone some time and grief if they had a word, so they did.

Yeah the police probably have quite a lot of time wasters on this sort of thing and wouldn’t be as concerned if it’s a man making the complaints. While it would have been bad for you I imagine single women may be in very frightening positions off dangerous creepy men and are constantly sleeping with the light on.

I wasn't concerned so much for my safety, although there is an element of that, and you just never know, more of being accused of something or of something happening to my missus. She was extremely concerned about it and it was a difficult time.

There was more to it. She was sending me letters at work and occasionally at home. There were presents to the office etc. It all got very wearing, very stressful, and on a certain level quite scary.

She wasn't likely to batter me. But you do wonder what people like that are capable of. I was also concerned at being accused of attacking her or something. It had that kind of weird feeling about it. A very bad time.

Never really felt settled after it until we moved house several years later.

No - is there a hidden joke in here somewhere?

No. I was working at a SW site up Inverness way last week and met a beauty called Jana who said she'd recently only moved up from Edinburgh so didn't know directions to the next site I was to go to.

13 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I wasn't concerned so much for my safety, although there is an element of that, and you just never know, more of being accused of something or of something happening to my missus. She was extremely concerned about it and it was a difficult time.

There was more to it. She was sending me letters at work and occasionally at home. There were presents to the office etc. It all got very wearing, very stressful, and on a certain level quite scary.

She wasn't likely to batter me. But you do wonder what people like that are capable of. I was also concerned at being accused of attacking her or something. It had that kind of weird feeling about it. A very bad time.

Never really felt settled after it until we moved house several years later.

Good job you didn’t have a pet rabbit.

Edited by Left Back

I've posted this before but I had a stalker when I was about 14/15. 

He used to call my mobile randomly. No patern to it. He'd tell me what I'd been up to that day and what I was wearing. He would w**k down the phone if I talked back. 

I went to the police and they told me to change my mobile number. Didn't take me seriously at all.

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

A guy who drank in my old local used to regularly be up in court for standing outside his exes and shouting when he was pished. His mates seemed to think it was quite funny but most folk shunned him. 

A female colleague got stalked by an obsessive flatmate who'd wait up and ask where she'd been, tell her she couldn't go out with folk etc. She moved back to Scotland. 

A lad i knew at Uni had a stalker for a couple of years. Like others the police didn't really pay it much notice until it escalated and the lassie ended up going to prison for a short time. All sounded quite terrifying from his perspective. 

Think a lot of it is born out of an extreme form of limerence. The person doing it probably doesn't even realise how consumed they are by it/how weird it is until they're pulled up on it and then it slaps them in the face. The Maitlis case is bizarre, the guy seems fully aware of what he is doing but has no real desire to stop. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I’ve known two woman who have been stalked. One was working for Scottish water and living in leith and doing a car share with a co worker who lived in same building was a good bit older than her and sounded like a total dork. Think she led him on a bit and he got proper scary and she had to move to Inverness to get away from him.

My old next door neighbours daughter was getting stalked somewhere outside of London, she worked in coffee shop when the stalker met her and he continued following her for several years until she eventually got him jailed. It was all too much for her and she moved to Australia in the end.

You seem to know a lot about the movement of these women. Have you just incriminated yourself? 😜