Stalking

ICTChris

On 06/09/2022 at 09:35, throbber said:

I have a stalker right now. Fortunately you can’t tell through my thick work trousers.

We get it, no need to draw a picture..

..well, actually, seeing as it's yourself, Throbs, you might as well... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Martin Hardie liked a bit of stalking. Wasn’t there a photographic reconstruction on here of him climbing his terrorised ex’s drainpipe? He’s a physically intimidating big lad so just have been horrendous for the poor girl having him on her case all the time.

On 07/09/2022 at 22:33, BFTD said:

No, Hard Candy I did see! I didn't know who he was back then, but Patrick Wilson turns up in absolutely everything.

The one I'm talking about was more recent; I saw a trailer for it on a DVD, thought it was an interesting idea, then promptly forgot the title. I asked if it rang a bell with anyone on here a while back, but no joy. Frankly, the trailer gave away far too much anyway.

Captivity (film) - Wikipedia

???

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

No, but weirdly enough I just saw Captivity again a few months ago, as I'd forgotten what it was. It's very similar to the film I'm thinking of, only without the (slightly) clever twist of the victim being more of a monster than the kidnapper - Captivity was a really straight ahead "woman is captured, tortured, and then escapes" story. Kermode's obviously being a bit OTT there, but he's pretty much spot-on about how bland and unimaginative that film was.

Oh, erm, sorry for the spoilers. Pretend I'm wrong and she doesn't escape, although a "twist" like that is way to radical for the bland mind that created this...*checks notes*...two-time Academy Award nominee Roland Joffe  :o

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

No, but weirdly enough I just saw Captivity again a few months ago, as I'd forgotten what it was. It's very similar to the film I'm thinking of, only without the (slightly) clever twist of the victim being more of a monster than the kidnapper - Captivity was a really straight ahead "woman is captured, tortured, and then escapes" story. Kermode's obviously being a bit OTT there, but he's pretty much spot-on about how bland and unimaginative that film was.

Oh, erm, sorry for the spoilers. Pretend I'm wrong and she doesn't escape, although a "twist" like that is way to radical for the bland mind that created this...*checks notes*...two-time Academy Award nominee Roland Joffe  :o

I realised it wasn't right when I looked it up but it seemed close enough to be worth sharing. 

I found out that a woman I work with had to leave her job and move house when she was 19 because she was stalked by a colleague.  After she left, he did it to several other women and this week one of them got her brothers to severely beat him up.

The guy used to creat hundreds of burner Instagram accounts to message her.  His line was that he had £30,000 in the bank so she should go out with him.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Martin Hardie liked a bit of stalking. Wasn’t there a photographic reconstruction on here of him climbing his terrorised ex’s drainpipe? He’s a physically intimidating big lad so just have been horrendous for the poor girl having him on her case all the time.

Martin Hardie did indeed get convicted of stalking and harassing his ex, the fucking p***k that he is.

My wife wasn't quite stalked but definitely sexually harassed by an older male colleague (twice her age at least) when she was about 17. He attempted to chat her up repeatedly, made loads of inappropriate comments and when she asked to be put on a different shift from him he poured a can of beans over her car and then his partner turned up at the work to scream at her for "trying to steal her man". The place they worked were horrendous to her about it and didn't deal with it well at all. 

4 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

My wife wasn't quite stalked but definitely sexually harassed by an older male colleague (twice her age at least) when she was about 17. He attempted to chat her up repeatedly, made loads of inappropriate comments 

My colleague had a similar experience - she was in her teens, man was in his mid/late 30s.

Thinking about it, I worked with a guy when I lived in Inverness who couldn't go to a certain floor in teh building because his ex girlfriend worked there.  We also had a staff member who he was told to train up and he was very possessive of telling her how to do things, it freaked her out a bit.  Age gap was the same there.

Some men in their early 30s shouldn't be around teenagers, it's as simple as that.

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My colleague had a similar experience - she was in her teens, man was in his mid/late 30s.

Thinking about it, I worked with a guy when I lived in Inverness who couldn't go to a certain floor in teh building because his ex girlfriend worked there.  We also had a staff member who he was told to train up and he was very possessive of telling her how to do things, it freaked her out a bit.  Age gap was the same there.

Some men in their early 30s shouldn't be around teenagers, it's as simple as that.

I don't think it's just men in their early thirties TBF.

15 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Martin Hardie did indeed get convicted of stalking and harassing his ex, the fucking p***k that he is.

My wife wasn't quite stalked but definitely sexually harassed by an older male colleague (twice her age at least) when she was about 17. He attempted to chat her up repeatedly, made loads of inappropriate comments and when she asked to be put on a different shift from him he poured a can of beans over her car and then his partner turned up at the work to scream at her for "trying to steal her man". The place they worked were horrendous to her about it and didn't deal with it well at all. 

I hate it when they do that to your car

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-60139693

Matthew Hardy, from Northwich, was sentenced to nine years imprisonment in January following a lengthy campaign of cyberstalking and harassment against multiple women. He started by targeting women known to him locally, particularly from school, but quickly expanded. 

A six-part podcast investigation, which includes conversations with Hardy's victims and many others either affected by his behaviour or with personal experience of him, was released on Friday. It is a devastating listen but also quite sensitively conducted. The fifth episode, which is a relatively in-depth interview with Hardy's mother, is particularly impactful but also frustrating. 

It is worth a listen. 

Edited by DrewDon

On 06/09/2022 at 07:52, Raithie said:

My Mrs was stalked by her ex many moons ago, well before we got together. He would text her saying where she'd been and then send her a picture he'd taken clearly sitting in his car watching where she was going and what she was up to. This went on for a bit then finally stopped. My wife and I had been together for a few years and I had since gotten a new job. On my first day I had managed to get a look at the induction sheet which had a list of all the new starts and his name was on the sheet. Turns out it was indeed him. This guy knew who I was and knew me and his ex, my current wife, were together. My Mrs wasn't overly concerned, surprisingly, and said for me to just be civil with him and not get into any bother. Throughout the 3 years we worked together he never once asked about her and all in all he was a very nice pleasant guy so he had either given himself a shake or was one of those calculated nutter types. 

My money's on the latter.

On 16/09/2022 at 21:59, ICTChris said:

Some men in their early 30s shouldn't be around teenagers people, it's as simple as that.

There

14 hours ago, DrewDon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-60139693

Matthew Hardy, from Northwich, was sentenced to nine years imprisonment in January following a lengthy campaign of cyberstalking and harassment against multiple women. He started by targeting women known to him locally, particularly from school, but quickly expanded. 

A six-part podcast investigation, which includes conversations with Hardy's victims and many others either affected by his behaviour or with personal experience of him, was released on Friday. It is a devastating listen but also quite sensitively conducted. The fifth episode, which is a relatively in-depth interview with Hardy's mother, is particularly impactful but also frustrating. 

It is worth a listen. 

I've listened to this.  The guys dad phoned him up when he was seven and said "I won't be seeing you anymore", what the f**k?  Who can do something like that?

The interview with his mother was quite frustrating but kind of understandable.  I  do think people who are completely outwith social media and grew up offline can not really get the impact that this sort of offence can have.  I do think the mother did seem to avoid the crux of what her son did - she made out like he was winding people up and playing a joke, when it was obviously much more serious.  I understand why she thinks like this though, she's looking at him through a mothers eyes.