Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Notwithstanding everything Antlion said why would you pick Aethelstan as year zero?

Kenneth MacAlpin was King of Scots almost 100 years before England was a kingdom.

I'm annoyed at you now as I occasionally have to put aside my rabid republicanism to protest that "she's our queen too !!" 

Pedantry is more important than principle. 

Aethelstan has been called the first king of Britain. He had the kings of Alba, Strathclyde and Northumberland (covering modern mainland Scotland) wales and parts of Ireland give him fealty.

Although if i remember rightly the scots king basically just said he would accept overlordship, then completely ignored it in practice. 

For a "british" monarchy, not a bad place to start the clock, i suppose. 

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Notwithstanding everything Antlion said why would you pick Aethelstan as year zero?

Kenneth MacAlpin was King of Scots almost 100 years before England was a kingdom.

I'm annoyed at you now as I occasionally have to put aside my rabid republicanism to protest that "she's our queen too !!" 

Pedantry is more important than principle. 

Any relation?

4192.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

Edinburgh Council released the names of the streets closed over the weekend for Jubilee street parties.

Colour me surprised that it's mainly the most affluent streets in Edinburgh and not Niddrie, Pilton, Gilmerton etc.

I don't know if this has been noted, but (unless I'm very much mistaken) had that Buckingham Palace balcony crashed to the ground the other day with 100% fatal consequences, the crown would have passed to thon Harry & Megan inc.

The good news is that had they also been in attendance on the fallen balcony the crown would have passed to Covid-victim Andrew.

Phew. 

18 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Poor turn of phrase perhaps, unsure how else to term it. The line dating from Aethlestan 920’s AD? Line of ascension to the throne maybe?

I think this proper Sacha Baron Cohen lineage only really started in the 1930’s surely? Abdication with no direct heir means starting again?

17 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Personally, I’m glad I picked Springfield.

image.jpeg.949c2f291c2f102aaab5241832479dbc.jpeg

‘Look over there someones attractive cousin’ has got me out of a few scrapes in Ayrshire too. 

5 hours ago, Antlion said:

Good quote, but it’s not the one. The one I read was definitely about the monarchy producing no artists, scientists, etc. Annoyingly, I can’t remember where I saw it!

Maybe the British monarchy. Two Japanese emperors - Hirohito and Akihito - were published, peer-reviewed, marine biologists. Akihito even had at least one paper published in Nature, which is about as prestigious a science journal as you get. Maybe there wasn't this (rare) example back when the quote was coined, though,

56 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I think this proper Sacha Baron Cohen lineage only really started in the 1930’s surely? Abdication with no direct heir means starting again?

No, George V1 was Edward V111's brother, so still a blood descendant of George V (who was only king because his older brother died) but still a blood descendant of Edward V11.

20 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

She has an utterly abysmal fashion sense. Her outfits are utterly abhorrent.

And? Her dress sense has absolutely nothing to do with her (in) ability to do a job. 

Men get away with wearing nonsense clothing if a woman is able to do the same then power to her.

That said when she's done up in the state outfit that could pay the universal credit bill for about 10 years then I think that should be pawned to Ramsdens

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

No, George V1 was Edward V111's brother, so still a blood descendant of George V (who was only king because his older brother died) but still a blood descendant of Edward V11.

The royal house names come from the males similar to family surnames.

Hence the house of Hannover became Saxe-Coburg Gotha after Victoria married Albert. And Liz became a Battenburg after marrying Phil the (German) Greek.

29 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Hence the house of Hannover became Saxe-Coburg Gotha after Victoria married Albert. And Liz became a Battenburg after marrying Phil the (German) Greek.

Yes, but my post you quoted wasn't to do with that.

34 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Do they just make up the rules as they go along? Surely the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (rebranded as “Windsor” because they didn’t want folk to think they had lingering German sympathies) dynasty ended with Liz marrying Phil. Shouldn’t Charlie becoming monarch start a new house name? Isn’t Liz the last of the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha?

5 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Do they just make up the rules as they go along? Surely the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (rebranded as “Windsor” because they didn’t want folk to think they had lingering German sympathies) dynasty ended with Liz marrying Phil. Shouldn’t Charlie becoming monarch start a new house name? Isn’t Liz the last of the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha?

Yes I believe Chuck will be the first Mountbatten monarch.