Monday Night Football 2022/23 Thread

lichtie23

4 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Clumsy wording from myself. I just meant they - and the Chiefs potentially - are the ones taking the main brunt of the impact on the schedule. 

I know what you mean. I just can't see them handing the Chiefs such an advantage to hand both the Bengals and Bills a loss.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I know what you mean. I just can't see them handing the Chiefs such an advantage to hand both the Bengals and Bills a loss.

Not so much both losing as much as both teams having one less game on their schedule at the end, I don’t think that would be too messy but who knows

10 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

Not so much both losing as much as both teams having one less game on their schedule at the end, I don’t think that would be too messy but who knows

Don't think that would work either. If the Bills finished 13-3 and the Chiefs 13-4 then Buffalo would be #1 seed despite not having to finish a game @ Cincinnati that they were behind in.

In that same scenario it also prevents Cinci being able to reach 13-4 and finish above KC.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Woke up to watch the game before work without knowing the score, fucking hell.

Hope he makes a full recovery but it sounds worse than Eriksen who was awake when he left the pitch, still deeply concerning. 

I'd honestly take the forfeit or tie and give up the 1 seed. 

The Bills players that didn't travel to the hospital have gone home so don't see how it can be played tonight, and any later date would affect the week 18 fixture which is already off a short week never mind any issues about the mental state to play. So I don't see how the game gets played therefore they either have to call it a Bengals win or a tie. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Woke up and turned it on as I often do and met with Buck just voicing over the empty field explaining what happened. 

As with Muamba and Eriksen it takes me straight back to Fir Park in 2007 with Phil. In hindsight it’s mad that they finished that game but the description from people at the stadium about the confusion and the silence takes me right back to that day. Horrible.

The fact he appears to be stabilised at hospital is surely a good thing for a long term perspective for the kid but absolutely no idea what the NFL do about it now that the Bills are back in Buffalo. 

I still think the NFL will expect the Bills to fly back to Cinci and complete the game or forfeit. There is precedence for this, and in every case the game was played to a finish. It's a different era now, but players step on to the field knowing it's a violent game where people are inevitably going to get seriously hurt. 

I'm actually surprised at the Bills players returning to Buffalo. NFL teams travel on chartered flights, so they could have cancelled it, the NFL could have warned them that returning to Buffalo without permission would result in a forfeit, and I think they may well order them to get back on a flight to finish the game. 

Whether that's right or wrong, personally I don't think they have any justification for refusing to play. If they don't want to, then it's a forfeit.

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Woke up to watch the highlights and seeing what’s happened is scary. Iv no desire to see what happened to the young man, 

We recorded the game, as we always do with late games, and got up at 8am to start watching over breakfast. The injury looked for all the world like someone landed on his head or hit his helmet during the play. He got up, but a second or two after, fell backwards to the turf. It still looked like he’d sufferered a concussion. We had no idea as we watched our recording what was about to unfold. As they cut to a break, as they do after anyone goes down, we still presumed he was woozy after a head knock, and we would see him walking gingerly to the blue tent to be evaluated by the independent medical staff as they came back from the break. I went and put the kettle on - the seriousness of it all only unfolded after the ad break.

As it became clear what had actually happened, it was like the Christian Eriksen situation. Watching live though, initially it looked like an incident you see a lot in the NFL. Not much else I can say but to hope and pray for Hamlin’s recovery. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Was wondering why I could only find YouTube highlights of 1st Quarter 😬

You and me both, so i just watched the 1st quarter highlights and it was a game living up to its billing.

Thoughts with the poor guy and his family, fingers crossed he pulls through this. hopefully the fact he's only 24 and fit will help him.

no idea what the NFL will do. there is no real time to make them play it but giving them a loss only helps the chiefs (and the refs do that enough). I think it will go down as a no contest.

what pissed me off was several new agency's were attacking Goodell and the NFL for giving the players 5 minutes to warm up before continuing but it was Taylor and McDemott that said we are not playing. Turns out this never happened but it is still being reported by some as fact. Why make sh!t like this up just to point score against the league?

Yeah, that's a bit strange. I think there was a communal decision, the correct one, to take the players to the locker room while the game was suspended, but I have no doubt the decision to ultimately call it off for the night, again correct, would have come about as a result of discussions between both owners and the league. Both owners were present in the Bills locker room, so it seems logical to conclude that is where the discussion was taking place and the consensus reached.

Again, as much as I think it would be wrong to declare the game void or a Tie, it was absolutely the correct decision to suspend then postpone last night. They can't be faulted for that at all.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Interesting video from a doctor potentially explaining what happened…and it’s pretty scary.

So if a player's heart is beating at 120 bpm then are there two moments in every second where he is vulnerable to death from an innocous hit according to this guy?  

Given how much contact sport is played around the world we would surely see a lot more of this. All the cited previous cases seem to be people getting hit with projectiles rather than body to body. 

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

So if a player's heart is beating at 120 bpm then are there two moments in every second where he is vulnerable to death from an innocous hit according to this guy?  

Given how much contact sport is played around the world we would surely see a lot more of this. All the cited previous cases seem to be people getting hit with projectiles rather than body to body. 

I read that most people have a strong enough thorax that a fairly innocuous hit won’t trigger Commotio Cordis even during that vulnerable window. This is particularly true in adulthood, which is why the average age of the those dying from it is 15.

I think this is a freak accident. 

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

I think it will go down as a no contest.

I really don't think so. If the Bengals lost this game, Baltimore can win the division by beating the Bengals next week. If it's just cancelled or declared a Tie, then they can't. There is / was a much greater impact on various teams than just the Bengals and Bills and therefore it isn't right to not play the game.

As scary an incident as this was, it was an almost unprecedented freak incident.