euro 2024 seed stage group

Craigieboy86

The group could have been kinder but I'm not sure the fixtures could have. Really think they've worked out very well. Great opportunity to get off to a flyer at home to Cyprus and then the free hit against Spain where we are certainly capable of taking something if at our best. Spain play at home to Norway before traveling to Glasgow and Norway then go to Georgia so they have a very tough start. 

Match day 3 sees us in Norway and I really like the fact that our away matches in Norway and Spain are the first match in the breaks, in fact that is the case for all our away games. The visits to Cyprus and Spain are actually stand alone games too so we can prepare fully for those. And of course we have the benefit of Norway at home last game. When we visit Georgia 2nd to last they are in Spain so that could also be pivotal, possibly seeing Spain clinch. 

Another thing of note is that Georgia, like us, have a guaranteed play off spot so they may take their eye of the ball a bit. 

I reckon Georgia will fancy having a run at 2nd in the group given their form of late. They're probably not quite good enough but they'll see both us and Norway as beatable.

The think that sticks out to me is Norway playing Spain at home in October, then having no game while we're in Georgia. It feels like their Spain one has the potential to be a heartbreaker for us, where they pick up a result out of nowhere. However, the nature of our last two being entirely in our control is great for us, we'll know exactly what each result against Georgia means for us in terms of the final game (if we even need the final game), similar to knowing a draw against Ireland was fine last time.

10 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

One of the highlights of this part of the forum is craigkillie dishing out telts

I like to throw out nonsense just so he has a reason to put me right. Honest!

Anyway, if Haaland scores most of his goals against diddies like Gibraltar, does that make him Norway's Steven Fletcher?

Scotland 3-1 Cyprus

Spain 2-1 Norway

Georgia 2-4 Norway

Scotland 1-1 Spain

Norway 3-1 Scotland

Cyprus 0-0 Georgia

Scotland 3-0 Georgia

Norway 5-1 Cyprus

Georgia 1-2 Spain

Cyprus 0-3 Scotland

Spain 6-0 Cyprus

Norway 3-1 Georgia

Spain 3-0 Scotland

Cyprus 0-2 Norway

Georgia 3-0 Cyprus

Norway 1-2 Spain

Georgia 0-1 Scotland

Cyprus 0-4 Spain

Spain 5-0 Georgia

Scotland 2-1 Norway 

Spain 22

Scotland 16

Norway 15

Georgia 4

Cyprus 1 

9 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

That's quite a turnaround in 24 hours.

In the previous scenario, I was interested in seeing what a potential playoff path *could* look like if we don’t finish in the top 2. The exercise would have been a bit pointless if I’d put us in the top 2. 

The post today is pure hopium. Getting 4 out of 6 against Spain and Norway at home is a huge ask. 

I don’t see the spain game at hampden as a free hit. We should be able to give any team a decent game at hampden. Whilst spain are a very good team, I don’t believe they are as good as they used to be when they won everything whilst we have improved

The game away to Spain is a free hit where I’d bite yer baws for a draw

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m assuming Spain won’t announce which ground they are hosting us at for a good while…

I had a look into when they've announced the stadium for recent competitive games excluding ones where there was no crowds due to COVID as they didn't have the same urgency to announce those venues. Typically they've announced the venue 4 months prior to the game so we could be waiting until June before we know.

Occasionally they announce them further in advance but from what I can gather those tend to be if they are playing somewhere they haven't played in years such as when they played Switzerland last month in Zaragoza and they announced that in January (before they had even announced anything about the 2 June games which they done in February).

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

In the previous scenario, I was interested in seeing what a potential playoff path *could* look like if we don’t finish in the top 2. The exercise would have been a bit pointless if I’d put us in the top 2. 

The post today is pure hopium. Getting 4 out of 6 against Spain and Norway at home is a huge ask. 

As lunatic as Dryhorce's "evenly-matched" theory is, Georgia and/or Cyprus are bound to nick a point or more off somebody.

Thankfully, we don't make those slip-ups anymore, so it sucks to be you, Spain/Norway.

Never been abroad to support Scotland however it’s always been on the bucket list , have been to plenty of the games at hampden.

what would be the likelihood of getting a ticket for these away fixtures?
especially in Cyprus and Spain 

Away tickets have become harder to get since Covid - I think only the Austria friendly has gone down to 0 points whereas there was about 18 months before Covid where they all did. I think Cyprus would be your best shot as we played them recently, it's less of a glamour game and we could end up getting a big allocation (it went to 0 in 2019). There's also the option of the home end as I'd imagine both of them would be fairly hassle-free and there will undoubtedly be Scotland fans doing the same.

St. Mirren and Scotland fan Davy Provan lives on Cyprus and in 2019 did a magnificent job organising coaches from Paphos, Limassol, Larnaca and Ayia Napa to Nicosia. for the game. He's already been on FB to say that he's on the case for a repeat in September.

What he also did was manage to convince the Cypriot FA to give an additional allocation to Scotland fans in an area  beside the official allocation. This was brilliant for me and another couple of my mates who weren't in the SSC at the time.

46 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Also considering going to the Cyprus game but flights are certainly not cheap from what I can see. 

Is this game likely to be Nicosia or Larnaca. Cyprus seem to have played most of their games in Larnaca recently 

It could be either but they are also building a new stadium in Limassol which should be ready by the time we play there which is a possibility. It still being the English school holidays when we play in Cyprus hasn't helped prices.