Stereotypes that are true

ICTChris

Stereotypes appear to be the same all over the world; the only difference is the people who are labelled with them.

For example, in England they have the thick, lazy Irish stereotype, which is used for the Poles in America, who have the stereotype of being industrious, cheap labour here. In America, the Irish are violent drunkards, which is the Scottish stereotype in England (not helped by the fact that the Americans generally find it very difficult to differentiate between the Irish and Scots).

I liked Dara O'Briain's bit about how we should just make up stereotypes for people we're totally clueless about. "The Slovenians? Oh, rampant and well-read".

Is it acceptable to post weird stereotypes in this thread too?

The Americans have all sorts of strange stereotypes about black people, but one of the oddest is that black people can't swim and/or are afraid of water. I presume this dates back to the days of slavery in ways that I don't want to consider, but WTAF?

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think it's more the timeline you've given. For me it got shit after 10. 11 had some half decent ones but it really started going downhill then.

My one would be that travellers are slobs. Originally that was due to seeing the state they leave places in on certain tv programmes but you believe everything you see on tele. There have been a few of them popped up within Dumfries and on the way in to Carlisle in recent years and the mess they've left has been pretty much exactly like they're portrayed on tv tbh.

Theres some decent ones in season 15 and treehouse of horrors is generally good. 

Agree re travellers, ive visited a lot of sites and their homes are usually spotless, the issue with rubbish being left is largely down to the fact that councils try to stop ‘illegal’ campsites and could offer help more. Culturally they are obviously very different but ive found them to be nice people, the ire directed towards them isn’t helped when you’ve got people like Douglas Ross saying he wants rid of them etc. aye there are some chancers who will try and fly tip but its probably proportionately on the same scale as non travellers. 

35 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The Americans have all sorts of strange stereotypes about black people, but one of the oddest is that black people can't swim and/or are afraid of water. I presume this dates back to the days of slavery in ways that I don't want to consider, but WTAF?

You don't often see black representation in the latter stages of swimming competitions such as the Olympics. It used to be claimed this was due to their body mass making them less buoyant.

1 minute ago, bobbykdy said:

You don't often see black representation in the latter stages of swimming competitions such as the Olympics. It used to be claimed this was due to their body mass making them less buoyant.

Oh God. I may have opened a can of worms here.

52 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I remember reading something quite bizarre a couple of years ago, referencing the Olympics, seemingly it was a proven issue in genetics that black people are generally better at short distance sprint events due to some physical aspects of their genetics but, on the same concept they also are not particularly strong as white people in swimming events.

I casually dismissed it as bollocks but a look at the successful athletes in these fields suggests there may well be something in that theory, I profess to know the square root of f**k all about human genetics and the difference facets of it in the race of people but a look at the success of black athletes in sprint events and white people in the pool is definitely an indication of some substance to this theory. 

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I remember reading something quite bizarre a couple of years ago, referencing the Olympics, seemingly it was a proven issue in genetics that black people are generally better at short distance sprint events due to some physical aspects of their genetics but, on the same concept they also are not particularly strong as white people in swimming events.

I casually dismissed it as bollocks but a look at the successful athletes in these fields suggests there may well be something in that theory, I profess to know the square root of f**k all about human genetics and the difference facets of it in the race of people but a look at the success of black athletes in sprint events and white people in the pool is definitely an indication of some substance to this theory. 

We can expect to see some new members arriving from Stormfront in the near future.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Unsurprisingly my idea for a sequel to White Men Can’t Jump fell on deaf ears at the film studio.

I think the can’t swim thing does actually have a degree of truth,  but it’s more of a class/poverty issue. There’s not many swimming pools in imprisoned areas, which is where a lot of black people live due to the effects of racism.

No facilities means the opportunity to learn is greatly reduced.

Just now, parsforlife said:

I think the can’t swim thing does actually have a degree of truth,  but it’s more of a class/poverty issue. There’s not many swimming pools in imprisoned areas, which is where a lot of black people live due to the effects of racism.

No facilities means the opportunity to learn is greatly reduced.

You can disappear down rabbit holes on YouTube with this kind of stuff. Saw a video a while back (possibly John Oliver?) about public facilities in a poor, primarily white area that basically held a policy to make it as difficult as possible for non-whites to use the pool. The people running it had their arses handed to them for it, and the solution was to just shut the facilities down altogether rather than allow race mixing.

Wish I could remember more details, as I'm not sure I'd have believed myself that without proof  :wacko:

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Stereotypes appear to be the same all over the world; the only difference is the people who are labelled with them.

For example, in England they have the thick, lazy Irish stereotype, which is used for the Poles in America, who have the stereotype of being industrious, cheap labour here. In America, the Irish are violent drunkards, which is the Scottish stereotype in England (not helped by the fact that the Americans generally find it very difficult to differentiate between the Irish and Scots).

I liked Dara O'Briain's bit about how we should just make up stereotypes for people we're totally clueless about. "The Slovenians? Oh, rampant and well-read".

There is a Slovene at my work. She's well read granted but not very rampant. Unless you count being 6 foot tall as rampant.

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There is a Slovene at my work. She's well read granted but not very rampant. Unless you count being 6 foot tall as rampant.

Slovenians: excessively tall, and tolerant of bams.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You can disappear down rabbit holes on YouTube with this kind of stuff. Saw a video a while back (possibly John Oliver?) about public facilities in a poor, primarily white area that basically held a policy to make it as difficult as possible for non-whites to use the pool. The people running it had their arses handed to them for it, and the solution was to just shut the facilities down altogether rather than allow race mixing.

Wish I could remember more details, as I'm not sure I'd have believed myself that without proof  :wacko:

Yes, it was Last Week Tonight, and showed things like the white staff pouring (pool) acid into the water to get the African-American* swimmers out. There is a strong thread of “if we have to share it, we don’t want to pay for it” hatred against many minorities in the history of the U.S., and to a certain amount, still present today. Lots of community pools closed in the 60’s and 70’s as it became illegal to maintain segregated facilities.

By the same token, a large number of school systems effectively collapsed from votes to reduce tax payer funding, and from “white flight” to the suburbs as the former “good schools” desegregated in the cities. There is a particular legacy across the South of a poor urban district and a rich suburban district that were created by a vote to split the suburban portion of the district off from the urban area. While the schools were in one district, you could have bussing enforced to mix the races in the schools, but by making your little area independent, that option disappeared.

But, back to the stereotype, black people can’t swim…it’s rather true in the U.S., much more so than I would assume it might be in the UK. There are lots of areas located well away from any reasonably swimmable bodies of water that have public access, unlike the UK, and the stereotype has strong support within the black community in the U.S….it is, as noted above, strongly related to opportunity.

*African-American is a fun term too…when it was first rolled out to replace the generic “black” reference, sports broadcasters got rolled up into all sorts of silly statements, especially when broadcasting the Olympics. The U.S. sportscaster would refer to any black athlete as A-A, followed by frantic corrections as they realized what they said. A couple tried to roll out variants such as Afro-European and even one tosser even tried African-African out.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Yes, it was Last Week Tonight, and showed things like the white staff pouring (pool) acid into the water to get the African-American* swimmers out. There is a strong thread of “if we have to share it, we don’t want to pay for it” hatred against many minorities in the history of the U.S., and to a certain amount, still present today. Lots of community pools closed in the 60’s and 70’s as it became illegal to maintain segregated facilities.

By the same token, a large number of school systems effectively collapsed from votes to reduce tax payer funding, and from “white flight” to the suburbs as the former “good schools” desegregated in the cities. There is a particular legacy across the South of a poor urban district and a rich suburban district that were created by a vote to split the suburban portion of the district off from the urban area. While the schools were in one district, you could have bussing enforced to mix the races in the schools, but by making your little area independent, that option disappeared.

But, back to the stereotype, black people can’t swim…it’s rather true in the U.S., much more so than I would assume it might be in the UK. There are lots of areas located well away from any reasonably swimmable bodies of water that have public access, unlike the UK, and the stereotype has strong support within the black community in the U.S….it is, as noted above, strongly related to opportunity.

*African-American is a fun term too…when it was first rolled out to replace the generic “black” reference, sports broadcasters got rolled up into all sorts of silly statements, especially when broadcasting the Olympics. The U.S. sportscaster would refer to any black athlete as A-A, followed by frantic corrections as they realized what they said. A couple tried to roll out variants such as Afro-European and even one tosser even tried African-African out.

Thank you!

I'm not going full Yer Da here, as it's not my business what people want to call themselves, but the terminology thing is weird. I've heard a couple of black Americans casually refer to themselves as "coloured" lately, which was something of an eye-opener. Time was when that was a real "hide, shit's about to kick off" phrase!