Stereotypes that are true

ICTChris

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Thank you!

I'm not going full Yer Da here, as it's not my business what people want to call themselves, but the terminology thing is weird. I've heard a couple of black Americans casually refer to themselves as "coloured" lately, which was something of an eye-opener. Time was when that was a real "hide, shit's about to kick off" phrase!

Yea, that’s the pre-Civil Rights era term that was used on signs…”Colored Entrance”, etc. Very seldom heard here, reminds me of England in the 70’s.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054.amp

I remember this incident at the time, horrible tragedy.

Of course, you also get the opposite, kid saves three teens and a cop:

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/news/regional/pascagoula-moss-point-mississippi-drowning-corion-evans/522-1de1bc3d-d6e0-45ca-bd10-e60dbe7235a0

Black people clearly can swim, just as white people can sprint. There are genetic reasons why one group is suited to one activity more than the other at the top level, but nothing that renders them physically unable to do it recreationally.

Given how the US collegiate sports / scholarship system operates it is perhaps understandable why blacks are underrepresented in swimming.

5 hours ago, Ekhibee88 said:

I noticed that when I was down under, the young Irish people who went over to work tended travel around and live in groups. They tend to be more family orientated than us.

Yeah they definitely stuck together including getting each other jobs etc. I met more Irish than any other nationally by some distance when travelling and got on great with them but they definitely lived up to their stereotype. 

9 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think that's a bit of a stretch given Andrew Carnegie ultimately handed all his wealth away in an American context and is hence remembered as a great philanthropist. The Scottish stereotype in The Simpsons isn't Mr Burns but Groundskeeper Willie. In Star Trek it was Scotty. Don't think being miserly figured particularly prominently with either of them. Think some of Sir Walter Scott's novels had a role in building that stereotype in a UK context.

He shafted many Scottish emigrants, particularly from Fife, after they landed in the land of milk and honey, when they were left penniless and had to find their own way back home when they refused to work without Trades Union protection. He insisted on a no union policy. 

When he returned home for a visit, his carriage was pelted with divits when passing through Inverkeithing by the irate locals..  The town is now affectionately known by the locals as "the divit" or "Inverdivit".

23 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Europeans don't like the English abroad but they like Scots. 

I always thought that was something we just told ourselves until I saw evidence of it first hand. I was on a driving holiday through France with a mate. One day we ended up in a cool wee place called Soissons and thought we'd pitch up there and find digs for the night.

I saw a gendarme walking towards us and asked him if he knew any B&B places close by. He said he did and took us round the corner where a wifie was outside watering plants: "Couple of English guys here looking for a room..." he said.

The wifie launched into a big tirade about the English - there was some dialect stuff I didn't pick up, but I got the message. I said to her that if it made any difference we weren't actually English, but Scottish and it was like flipping a switch...she couldn't have been nicer. I think what convinced her was the fact I spoke to her in French rather than very slow loud English as so many English tourists are wont to do.

I had to go to an Autoscreen type place in Barcelona to get a door window replaced with a temporary plastic thing. The young lad grumpily said it would be at least a week and didn't give a toss that I couldn't secure the car. I persisted though so he went to book me in on the computer but still insisted "next week" - "semana que viene". However when he tried to put Scotland in his system, all he got was UK. This led to a discussion about Scottish independence and Catalan independence - long story short, he told me to go and get a coffee and he'd have the job done in an hour because I was Scottish. 

When my two were in primary school back in the early to mid 2000s they started coming home with jokes about stereotypical stupid people, except it was about English folk. I remember stepping in to say most English folk are quite sensible, and aren't thick as f**k. 

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There is a Slovene at my work. She's well read granted but not very rampant. Unless you count being 6 foot tall as rampant.

The Slovene stereotype in the former Yugoslavia is that they are misers and Austrians pretending to be Slavs. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

I remember reading something quite bizarre a couple of years ago, referencing the Olympics, seemingly it was a proven issue in genetics that black people are generally better at short distance sprint events due to some physical aspects of their genetics

Black people are also rather competent at longer distances.

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Black people clearly can swim, just as white people can sprint. There are genetic reasons why one group is suited to one activity more than the other at the top level, but nothing that renders them physically unable to do it recreationally.

Given how the US collegiate sports / scholarship system operates it is perhaps understandable why blacks are underrepresented in swimming.

It all starts in Middle and High school for that particular aspect…with underfunded school systems not having natatoriums and such. Opportunity is sadly lacking in much of the land of opportunity.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Slovene stereotype in the former Yugoslavia is that they are misers and Austrians pretending to be Slavs. 

My Serbo-Croat isn't the best. Odd thing is the Macedonians I knew would say they're more like the Montenegrin stereotype 😴

And who knew that Kosovans were a lost tribe of Dundonians...