The dugs

jimbaxters

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have zero interest in greyhound racing but I'm very surprised at this.  How is it any more cruel than, say, horseracing?  I mean they don't (to my knowledge) have a wee guy on they back whipping them to make them go faster and dugs fucking love chasing things.  Am I missing something?
I had a workmate years ago who had racing greyhounds. They were fed the absolute best of stuff, and "training" was just them chasing balls and sticks around a field.

Scottish Government appointed an Animal Welfare Commission which will likely recommend a ban. It was also in Greens manifesto.

It's a grander PR headline than reality: only track left is Thornton in Fife, basically for amateurs, and unlike all 20 in England it is 'unlicensed'... regulated by basic council rules not Greyhounds Board.

So a "ban" will only actually entail them shutting-down Thornton/buying-out its owner, then outlawing (hypothetical) future tracks.

Presumably keeping greyhounds remains OK i.e. Scottish trainers can continue racing them 'down south'.

Edited by HibeeJibee

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Scottish Government appointed an Animal Welfare Commission which will likely recommend a ban. It was also in Greens manifesto.

It's a grander PR headline than reality: only track left is Thornton in Fife, basically for amateurs, and unlike all 20 in England it is 'unlicensed'... regulated by basic council rules not Greyhounds Board.

So a "ban" will only actually entail shutting-down Thornton/buying-out its owner, then outlawing (largely hypothetical) future tracks.

Presumably keeping greyhounds remains OK i.e. Scottish trainers can continue racing them 'down south'.

It's a stepping stone, though. If this goes through how long before the SNP go after horse racing?

It's a slippery slope; I've hardly managed to torture a single squirrel to death since the bloody government fascists came for the fox hunters.

What a delightful cage it is that we have fashioned for ourselves.

On 30/10/2022 at 21:17, Todd_is_God said:

It's a stepping stone, though. If this goes through how long before the SNP go after horse racing?

Rich people like horse racing M8. It's more likely Sturgeon goes on a diet and starts riding for Lucinda Russell than the SNP do anything to piss anyone with a 7 figure net worth.

If they do anything about racing it will be a ban on swearing in a bookies as Offensive Behaviour.

Edited by Detournement

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Horse racing is the one they should be going after but that makes too much money to be challenged.

And it's the playground of the rich. Working class sports aren't allowed, didn't you know?

TBH I wasn't aware that the sport had declined so far in that there is only one track left going. My family were involved in racing for years and previous posters are right that the dogs were fed the best of meat and were treated like kings.

It was a great night out though. The betting ring was a laugh and you were almost guaranteed a fight at some point either between a punter and a bookie or two owners after one of the dogs tried to fight during the race.

The Auchinleck track was ran by a local family and the boy was daft as a brush. There was sand on the home straight and it needed raked after each race by the wide rake strapped to the back of a car. The boy used to put his seatbelt on when he got in the car to drive the 100 yards.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 30/10/2022 at 21:09, HibeeJibee said:

Tabled:

Scottish ban on greyhound racing proposed in new bill | The National

Greyhound racing could soon be banned in Scotland as MSP launches Bill to outlaw sport - Daily Record