Screaming child surcharge

ICTChris

A restaurant in Singapore has introduced a $10 'fine' for customers whose children misbehave.  The charge, dubbed the screaming child surcharge, has been put in place by Angie's Oyster Bar and Grill who claimed that they had complaints about the behaviour of patrons children on a weekly basis prior to the introduction of the charge.  However, since the introduction of the charge the restaurant hasn't had to impose the levy on any of it's customers.

YouGov did a survey on this and found the public split, with over 50 fat gammon faced boomers raging about children whereas under 50 millenial and Gen Z phone addicted types thinking it was all like just so random.

Do P&Bers support a screaming child surchrage?

Have any P&Bers ever had to intervene to complain about the screaming child of a fellow restaurant patron?

Have any P&B parents ever had to deal with a screaming child in a restaurant?

Do any P&Bers know why people were taking children to an osyter bar?

Edited by ICTChris

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A restaurant in Singapore has introduced a $10 'fine' for customers whose children misbehave.  The charge, dubbed the screaming child surcharge, has been put in place by Angie's Oyster Bar and Grill who claimed that they had complaints about the behaviour of patrons children on a weekly basis prior to the introduction of the charge.  However, since the introduction of the charge the restaurant hasn't had to impose the levy on any of it's customers.

YouGov did a survey on this and found the public split, with over 50 fat gammon faced boomers raging about children whereas under 50 millenial and Gen Z phone addicted types thinking it was all like just so random.

Do P&Bers support a screaming child surchrage?

Have any P&Bers ever had to intervene to complain about the screaming child of a fellow restaurant patron?

Have any P&B parents ever had to deal with a screaming child in a restaurant?

Do any P&Bers know why people were taking children to an osyter bar?

Poor parenting.

See the source image

2 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

What about screaming wives?

One that always sticks in my mind was a couple arguing a couple of tables away from us in a country pub somewhere...the volume gradually rose until she stood up and flounced out of the place.

He initially went to follow her, but then you could actually see his thought process once he looked across at her barely touched steak pie and chips, thought "f**k it", sat back down and got wired into her dinner.

In my experience, I have encountered far more loud adults than loud kids in restaurants. Specifically, cackling prosecco harridans and pissed up groups of lads (lads lads) who think their conversation should be pitched loud enough so that everyone can enjoy their cutting edge comedy.

I agree in principle because there are some selfish arseholes who make no effort, and don't give a f**k that they are ruining everyone else around them's evening.

I also disagree because the folk who will be punished are the ones whose kids are usually angelic, but for some reason that night are just having a bad time.

In short, it should be a selfish arsehole surcharge

There has to be a bit of common sense from parents about where they take their children - we will go out to pretty casual, 'family' type places with our four year old.  I wouldn't take him to a michelin starred restaurant for a £300 tasting menu.  

You also need to be considerate as a parent.  When my wife was pregnant we stopped for lunch after one of our appointments at the maternity hosptal at a restaurant for some lunch and a family at the table next to us left an absolutely bomb site for the staff to clear up - food on the floor, bags of baby wipes left, loads of crap everywehre.  If my son drops some of his food on the table, which is known to happen, I'll clear it up.  

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

I agree in principle because there are some selfish arseholes who make no effort, and don't give a f**k that they are ruining everyone else around them's evening.

I also disagree because the folk who will be punished are the ones whose kids are usually angelic, but for some reason that night are just having a bad time.

In short, it should be a selfish arsehole surcharge

This is really the bottom line. The issue at its heart, whether it be kids or adults, is generally selfishness. Most times when you see kids carrying on, it's because the parents don't give a f**k and obviously when adults are being loud and obnoxious, it's because they are selfish twats who don't care about whether or not anyone else wants to hear them. 

If a kid is acting up and the parent is doing their best to calm them, then I'm not too bothered. Shit happens

It's the ones who let the kids run around or have their iPads on full blast that deserve to feel the full extent of the Singaporean law.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

7 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

If a kid is acting up and the parent is doing their best to calm them, then I'm not too bothered. Shit happens

It's the ones who let the kids run around or have their iPads on full blast that deserve to feel the full extent of the Singaporean law.

My missus called out a family for this just a few weeks ago.

We were out having dinner at a pub/restaurant (in the restaurant bit) and the family at a table near us had given two of their weans an ipad on which they were watching some cartoon, but with the sound on, no headphones, and at a volume at which we could have followed the story.

I sat quietly seething, but heroically doing nothing, and after a few minutes she got up, went over and just got them telt.

'I'm sorry, but you're not in your house... we're paying to eat here... you need headphones if you're going to do that... ' are the snippets I could make out.

It worked. The mum argued back a bit, but the dad quickly intervened and they backed down. I was very proud. Not of myself, obviously.

We were out having dinner at a pub/restaurant (in the restaurant bit) and the family at a table near us had given two of their weans an ipad on which they were watching some cartoon, but with the sound on, no headphones, and at a volume at which we could have followed the story.
I sat quietly seething, but heroically doing nothing, and after a few minutes she got up, went over and just got them telt.
'I'm sorry, but you're not in your house... we're paying to eat here... you need headphones if you're going to do that... ' are the snippets I could make out.
It worked. The mum argued back a bit, but the dad quickly intervened and they backed down. I was very proud. Not of myself, obviously.
An absolute result.

Judge the family, avoid conflict, get the issue sorted for you so you can eat in peace, judge the wife.

28 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Lucky you can do that…try that around here and she’d be looking down the muzzle of a 9mm!

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

There has to be a bit of common sense from parents about where they take their children - we will go out to pretty casual, 'family' type places with our four year old.  I wouldn't take him to a michelin starred restaurant for a £300 tasting menu.  

You also need to be considerate as a parent.  When my wife was pregnant we stopped for lunch after one of our appointments at the maternity hosptal at a restaurant for some lunch and a family at the table next to us left an absolutely bomb site for the staff to clear up - food on the floor, bags of baby wipes left, loads of crap everywehre.  If my son drops some of his food on the table, which is known to happen, I'll clear it up.  

Yeah, but this also cuts two ways, if you are in some family Italian restaurant at 5.30pm getting raging at a couple of toddlers enjoying their spaghetti then that's your problem.

52 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Shitebag

Spoiler

I would have done the same tbh.  And whilst the missus would have no qualms in confronting the couple it would have no doubt escalated between here and the wifie. ending up in the car park. Negotiating skills of Pol Pot that one. 

One that always sticks in my mind was a couple arguing a couple of tables away from us in a country pub somewhere...the volume gradually rose until she stood up and flounced out of the place.
He initially went to follow her, but then you could actually see his thought process once he looked across at her barely touched steak pie and chips, thought "f**k it", sat back down and got wired into her dinner.

We were out having dinner at a pub/restaurant (in the restaurant bit) and the family at a table near us had given two of their weans an ipad on which they were watching some cartoon.... The mum argued back a bit, but the dad quickly intervened and they backed down. I was very proud. Not of myself, obviously.

And I bet you never knew you were both in the same pub.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's more when they get bored and start running about like heat-seeking ferrets when problems can occur. We were in a place in Strathblane where there was a mother up the far end of the gaff in with her pals getting leathered...obviously the wean was bored shitless and started playing hide and seek under the tables that folk were eating at. All well and good until the wean either (more likely) ran full pelt into somebody's knee or (not beyond the realms of possibility) the guy concerned committed a professional foul as the wee guy ran under his table.

Mother of the year was instantly up and in the guy's grid, but to his credit he told her to take a f**k to herself and at least pretend she gave a shit about what her kid was doing.

Edited by Hillonearth

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

And I bet you never knew you were both in the same pub.

Since the demise of Garfunkel's in the town, there's a gap in the market for a restaurant where couples specifically go to argue.

That always used to be the one for some reason - you'd pass by and at every window there was a couple drawing daggers at each other. I'd always assumed that it was a case of he'd wanted to go for a curry, she'd wanted to go for an Italian and it was a compromise that neither of them wanted, but it seemed to be full of folk that hated each other.