Ben Doak

Gordopolis

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

It's absolutely insane behaviour wanting a 17 year old with 30 mins of senior competitive football called into the squad. We have a good and settled squad, there's no need to rock the boat with dramatic pish like this. We don't even play with wingers. So you not only want to call up a 17 year old with no game experience, but also then play him in a position he's not familiar with? Which player out of McGinn, Armstring, Nisbet, Adams, Dykes and Christie is dropping out of the squad to enable this nonsense?

Absolutely insane behaviour 🤣🤣 that folk might have a different opinion on a football squad🤣 Jesus christ, calm down eh

1 minute ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Absolutely insane behaviour 🤣🤣 that folk might have a different opinion on a football squad🤣 Jesus christ, calm down eh

Calm down says the guy who spends his entire life chasing squables on the Tartan Army section of Pie and Bovril. You sit this one out I reckon.

Sorry for the triple post in a row btw.

Edited by Jives Miguel

I think getting him into the squad to train (not dissimilar to the training camp where some of the other U21s came along) would be fine. I don’t think he’d get any game time yet, not till he’s had a proper run at playing minutes at Liverpool (or Welsh where if they loan him out). 

Whats the squad limit for the next set of games? I'm assuming since one is a friendly we can call up as many as we like for that? No harm having Doak there, we brought Gilmour in when he started getting first team minutes just to get him training with the squad, I don't see how it rocks the boat doing the same woth Doak. Ultimately though Steve Clarke has a better understanding of how players should be brought through than I do so if he chooses to leave Doak at home I'm completely okay with that. 

Doak will be capped within the next 12-18 months, so its up to Clarke how he decides to bring him in. Whether thats allowing him to be around the camp before playing matches, or coming straight into as one whos going to be challenging for a spot, I don't know. I can't remember how hes approached this type of thing before.

4 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

We play quite often with 2 up front, and if you want our 3rd choice striker to be dropped for a 17 year old winger, you're the only one to be pointed and laughed here my guy.

We haven’t played with 2 up front in about a dozen games. And since then the 3rd choice striker has been any one of Stewart, Brown, Nisbet or Shankland depending on form and fitness.

Including Nisbet in an undroppable list is hilarious.

10 hours ago, eez-eh said:

We haven’t played with 2 up front in about a dozen games. And since then the 3rd choice striker has been any one of Stewart, Brown, Nisbet or Shankland depending on form and fitness.

Including Nisbet in an undroppable list is hilarious.

Stewart or Brown haven't been at any time 3rd choice striker. Nisbet's played more minutes for Clarke than all of them combined. not that it actually matters, we generally go with 3 strikers

What undroppable list did I make? I listed the players named in the last squad, apart from Shankland, who play in the front 2 or 3, and asked which one should be dropped for Doak. Thankfully Steve Clarke isn't hard of thought and wouldn't consider dropping the 3rd choice choice striker for a 17 year old winger.

Edited by Jives Miguel

11 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Stewart or Brown haven't been at any time 3rd choice striker. Nisbet's played more minutes for Clarke than all of them combined

No, he hasn’t. Look on Soccerway if you like.

He was 3rd choice about 2 years ago, since then no-one has been fit enough and/or in-form enough to be clear 3rd choice. They’ve all taken it in turns to be first off the bench. Nisbet doesn’t belong in the same bracket as the other players you mentioned.

37 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Thankfully Steve Clarke isn't hard of thought and wouldn't consider dropping the 3rd choice choice striker for a 17 year old winger.

It’s a good thing that there’s no limit on how many players can be called up then, isn’t it?

I’m not even that arsed whether Doak is called up right now but you talk a power of shite.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

No, he hasn’t. Look on Soccerway if you like.

He was 3rd choice about 2 years ago, since then no-one has been fit enough and/or in-form enough to be clear 3rd choice. They’ve all taken it in turns to be first off the bench. Nisbet doesn’t belong in the same bracket as the other players you mentioned.

It’s a good thing that there’s no limit on how many players can be called up then, isn’t it?

I’m not even that arsed whether Doak is called up right now but you talk a power of shite.

Like I said brainlet, it's Steve Clarke's list from the previous squad, not mine. So yes, he does belong there, as he's been the third choice striker for both squads this year, technically 2nd for Norway/Georgia since Adams was injured.

I'm glad you don't care, kindly stop replying to me now.

13 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Like I said brainlet, it's Steve Clarke's list from the previous squad, not mine. So yes, he does belong there, as he's been the third choice striker for both squads this year, technically 2nd for Norway/Georgia since Adams was injured.

I'm glad you don't care, kindly stop replying to me now.

Talking a power of shite, once again.

13 hours ago, eez-eh said:

We haven’t played with 2 up front in about a dozen games.

I can see why you've said that, but tend not to agree.

• John McGinn was pushed up close to Lyndon Dykes  against Norway after Gilmour, Armstrong and McLean were brought on.
  • Ryan Christie was also playing as a striker from the point that he and Scott McTominay came on in the game against Cyprus.
  • I haven't looked in depth at what we did against Georgia so less sure about that, but currently believe we were close to a '352' shape.

Ryan Christie and John McGinn are classified as midfielders maybe which is why can see why you've said that, but they occasionally play the role of a striker for Scotland and highlights the issues around categorisation.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Like I said brainlet, it's Steve Clarke's list from the previous squad, not mine. 

As I pointed out previously, it wasn’t Steve Clarke’s list from the previous squad. Adams wasn’t in the squad while Shankland was.

It was *your* made up list

And has been pointed out by various folk, no-one needs to drop out. Jacob Brown and Ryan Fraser are both wingers who have been selected in various squads by Steve Clarke. 

Having the option of bringing on a Liverpool class winger in a match is an option that only a fool would pass by.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I can see why you've said that, but tend not to agree.

• John McGinn was pushed up close to Lyndon Dykes against Norway.
  • Ryan Christie was also playing as a striker from the point that he and Scott McTominay came on in the game against Cyprus.
  • I haven't looked in depth at what we did against Georgia so less sure about that, but currently believe we were close to a '352' shape.

Ryan Christie and John McGinn are classified as midfielders maybe which is why can see why you've said that, but they occasionally play the role of a striker for Scotland.

Indeed, Clarke tends to play with a forward who isn’t an out and out striker alongside the main striker, sometimes 2 such players.

Having Ben Doak as option for such a role is something I’d be amazed if Clarke doesn’t take.