Ben Doak

Gordopolis

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think he is the defensive weak link in our team, which is still fine given that he offers a lot going forward.

Really? What’s your working for that? Maybe I’m forgetting some instances but I can’t recall too much evidence to support that claim at all in recent games. 

Edited by Londonwell

6 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Hickey to me is better defensively than offensively at the minute. He has time to work on his game but his attacking stats don't amount to much

Correct. However that's also down to how he's being told to play, every player has a role at Brentford and Rico Henry (most underrated fullback in the prem IMO) is the more attacking of the two, Hickey then tends to stay back a bit more. Below Hickey is number two while Henry is number three, Brentford lined up as a 532 but it doesn't really end up like that. 

Screenshot_20230822_234401_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cf19d2df83df45d1f1c58b3426454c4c.jpg

It can of course change depending on the formation, Brentford played with a back 4 against Fulham, with Mbuemo playing on the right hand side and Hickey was involved far more often offensively. 

Edited by HoBNob

I'm not sure how to interpret average position maps because there's one map but different behaviour whether the team has the ball or not. So in this situation have they combined both? or is it just when Brentford have the ball?

Edited by 2426255

Hickey isn't flashy going forwards, but I think he's shown good attacking aspects of his game in terms of combination play, ball carrying and two footedness in his Scotland performances. His first half performance at home to Ireland was good in that respect.

I made this video some months ago when he was being linked with Man City and the discussion drifted onto his suitability to play for Guardiola.

Edited by 2426255

On 27/08/2023 at 18:34, Pie Of The Month said:

Another game and another red card probably ruined his chances of getting on.

Jarell Quansah who is eligible for Scotland came on at centre back for Liverpool but he's played for England through all the age groups.

Do you not think it’s maybe more about not upsetting Mo Salah and him deciding to fo to Saudi in January?

He threw a right tantrum when Doak came on for him vs Chelsea

On 28/08/2023 at 23:04, 2426255 said:

I wonder if Ben Doak would have been called up had Elliot Anderson not committed to Scotland. 

I think Clarke will wait until he’s played a bit more. He really doesn’t have a lot of either match fitness nor experience. I kind of wished he’d gone on loan.

Mo Salah throwing the toys out of the pram after getting subbed, and replaced by Doak, in the away game against Chelsea last month probably hasn’t helped. Liverpool used 5 subs today, but Salah played the full 90 mins despite the team cruising to a comfortable win (it was the same against Newcastle last week, Liverpool used 5 subs, but Salah played the full match). It would have been an ideal time to give Doak some minutes towards the end today, but pandering to Salah’s ego is probably Klopp’s priority ATM, given the persistent Saudi speculation. 

4 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Do you not think it’s maybe more about not upsetting Mo Salah and him deciding to fo to Saudi in January?

I think it’s probably more about Klopp bringing on what he needs at that particular point in the game.  I doubt Klopp is scared of upsetting Salah or any player. 

5 minutes ago, MarkoP said:

Apologies, I was in the midst of posting the exact same thing.

44 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think Clarke will wait until he’s played a bit more. He really doesn’t have a lot of either match fitness nor experience. I kind of wished he’d gone on loan.

We need to remember that he is only 17. It's quite rare for any player to be getting regular first team football by 19/20, nevermind before they can even buy a beer. He's the understudy to arguably one of the best wingers of the last 5-10 years (Salah). Will be trying to beat a Ballon D'Or runner up in training (Van Dijk), and put the ball past Brazil and Ireland's no.1 goalies (Allison and Kelleher). All whilst having his national team captain alongside him to mentor and keep him grounded. 

He's in exactly the right place. This time next year, I'd maybe consider sending him on loan, but right now he will be learning so much just by turning up for training and being used from the bench occasionally.

14 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Mo Salah throwing the toys out of the pram after getting subbed, and replaced by Doak, in the away game against Chelsea last month probably hasn’t helped. Liverpool used 5 subs today, but Salah played the full 90 mins despite the team cruising to a comfortable win (it was the same against Newcastle last week, Liverpool used 5 subs, but Salah played the full match). It would have been an ideal time to give Doak some minutes towards the end today, but pandering to Salah’s ego is probably Klopp’s priority ATM, given the persistent Saudi speculation. 

Especially given the Saudi window is still open - it would be a disaster for Liverpool if he decided he wanted to leave in the next few days before it closes.

16 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:

He's in exactly the right place. This time next year, I'd maybe consider sending him on loan, but right now he will be learning so much just by turning up for training and being used from the bench occasionally.

I'd also imagine he'll get a fair amount of game time over the next couple of months with Carabao Cup & Europa League games coming up.  

As you say, he's in exactly the right place.  

On 03/09/2023 at 21:01, Tartan Blood said:

We need to remember that he is only 17. It's quite rare for any player to be getting regular first team football by 19/20, nevermind before they can even buy a beer. He's the understudy to arguably one of the best wingers of the last 5-10 years (Salah). Will be trying to beat a Ballon D'Or runner up in training (Van Dijk), and put the ball past Brazil and Ireland's no.1 goalies (Allison and Kelleher). All whilst having his national team captain alongside him to mentor and keep him grounded. 

Having glanced at this car crash thread from time to time over the last few months, one can say with great certainty that the post quoted here is a diamond in the rough. Chapeau.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Having glanced at this car crash thread from time to time over the last few months, one can say with great certainty that the post quoted here is a diamond in the rough. Chapeau.

Aw shucks. 🥲

I've got a sneaking suspicion Clarke will include Doak in the Euros squad. He'll be 18 by then and hopefully have a handful of Europa league and cup starts under his belt. But we need to be patient. He is being moulded into our first bonafide superstar in a generation. We can wait.