Montrose V Alloa

Extremely nervous about this one. We've been dreadful the last few weeks and leaking goals for fun whereas Alloa seem to have hit a bit of form. Hopefully Dillon and Waddle are fit again to shore up the defence.  At least we'll have our loanees back to boost the squad after last week's cup debacle.

I'll go for a very pessimistic 2-2 draw.

54 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Play like we did against Darvel and we will get pumped.Im hoping/expecting a reaction,tricky team Alloa who always give us a good game.

We have failed to beat them since they dropped down from the Championship.

We certainly need a reaction from last week.

37 minutes ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

We have failed to beat them since they dropped down from the Championship.

We certainly need a reaction from last week.

I was actually thinking when I posted that when have we beat them.

1 hour ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

July 25th 2017 at Links Park, but that was in the League Cup. 

Struggling to find the last league win.

I think the last time Alloa lost to Montrose in the league was season 1993/94

And again I may be wrong (only a quick look) but I dont think Alloa have lost at Links Park in the league since October 1988 in our promotion winning season.

Obviously there has been significant gaps where the clubs havent been in the same division, particularly this century.

24 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I think the last time Alloa lost to Montrose in the league was season 1993/94

And again I may be wrong (only a quick look) but I dont think Alloa have lost at Links Park in the league since October 1988 in our promotion winning season.

Obviously there has been significant gaps where the clubs havent been in the same division, particularly this century.

Top work. Will present that in Saturday's commentary as if it was my own research 😉

2 hours ago, PortyMo said:

Heard a comment during our last away game that Montrose have won twice in the last 50 years away from home. Obviously we haven't been in the same leagues but a dreadful record. Not sure about home record. 

Definitely beat us twice at Links the season Montrose won the Second Division in 84/85 and Alloa finished second to get promoted. But Alloa won the Recs game. Interesting stat for the away record- Ive found another win for Montrose at Recs the following season in 85/86 but would be interesting to have a good deep dive and see if the two wins mentioned are the only ones.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Alloa are my dark horses for this season, we'll do well to get anything from this. 2-2 draw would be a decent result given how many we've let in lately. Even if we end up losing this, I'd at least want to see a better performance than last week's shitshow.

What a difference a Dillon makes! We were pretty toothless up front but the defence stood firm against a stuffy Alloa side. After results in the previous games, I am reasonably okay with a nil-nil draw, if the ship has been steadied. Next game away to Edibaby will be a test for sure but we seem to have a week's respite before that. Hopefully we can build on today and be at full strength against them. Added bonus today was other results not giving rise to much change in the table but very tight as usual.

Tough to say that either team did enough to win that today, Montrose the better team in the first half and Alloa in the second, and we maybe just shaved it with the chances towards the end, but a draw a fair result.

Thought Dillon was good for Montrose (as he was in the game at the Recs) although I felt we made it quite easy for Montrose defensively in the first half continually pumping pretty aimless long balls. Looked more threatening after the break when we went less direct and got the likes of Church more involved further forward.

Be interesting to see the yellow card incident at the end in the highlights tonight or how it looked from the home fans down that end? Thought initially that Offord had lifted the ball over the keeper and then got cleaned out, so was a bit surprised to see the ref book Offord.

2 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Be interesting to see the yellow card incident at the end in the highlights tonight or how it looked from the home fans down that end? Thought initially that Offord had lifted the ball over the keeper and then got cleaned out, so was a bit surprised to see the ref book Offord.

Would have been the softest of soft penalties had it been given but never really merited a yellow. I thought the ref was poor throughout and gave us very little all day.

To the actual match, 2 very poor teams today and no-one deserved to win. Kerr Waddle our outstanding player and Alloa #12 was their pick of the bunch.

I've seen worse games but this one was pretty forgettable overall.

Alloa didn't turn up until half way through the first half and by then Montrose could easily have been a couple of goals to the good, with McAllister and another firing close range headers narrowly over. Hogarth in the Alloa goal also produced a sprawling save low to his right that kept the visitors goal intact.

Unfortunately in the second half we were slow, laboured and a bit clueless going forward and McAllister cut a frustrated figure up front. I'm not really sure he's well integrated into the group yet. The biggest concern for me was that we basically sat back and let them come at us for the last quarter hour, and a more competent team would have punished us. Alloa had a succession of corners and one or two goalmouth scrambles which were totally unnecessary. We do like to give the opposition a good chance for ten to fifteen minutes of every game.

The referee was a strutting little p***k, absolutely appalling. God knows where they find them.

Two of the stalwarts of Montrose in the last decade- Masson and Watson- plus the remarkable "Dillo"- won't be playing for too much longer. McAllister himself can't have much more in the tank even though he's still a real menace on his day. We have a very big window coming up in January and again over the summer to revitalise the squad and get a few in, so there's some kind of filling of the massive holes these players will leave.

The side's a bit flat at the moment. Of course this isn't a moan- we're still light years ahead of where the club was ten years ago, treading water in the bottom half of league two with a squad chock full of burnt-out mavericks, never-quite-weres, and last-stop-before-Lochee-Harp Dundee jobbers- but this is a strategiucally important time and the continuation of the remarkable success the manager and the players have enjoyed now depends on effective work in the transfer market.