Aberdeen v Celtic, sat 12:30

11 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Goodwin has been burned by that Ibrox game. You don’t beat the cheeks by “having a go”, whatever that is meant to mean, you concede possession and defend your third of the pitch. 

We were very disciplined, defended well and allowed Celtic few good chances and were eventually beaten by a really good strike. However, we offered next to nothing going forward. Duk at least went on a few runs in the first half but the second half was abysmal. I couldn’t believe how poor the service to the front two was. 

Did we defend well? Celtic missed two sitters yards from goal. 

We allowed them in behind plenty of times. Kyogo should have had three goals to himself. Fortunately their final ball was mostly awful.

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Did we defend well? Celtic missed two sitters yards from goal. 

We allowed them in behind plenty of times. Kyogo should have had three goals to himself. Fortunately their final ball was mostly awful.

Kyogo had one good chance at the back post but I can’t recall too many great chances for Celtic. 

We largely limited them to shots from distance.

23 minutes ago, Jute said:

Got what we deserved from the game. Unbelievably negative approach to the game from Goodwin. Will not be bothering with any other games against Celtic this season to watch those sort of tactics.  

Correct.

To be honest, I write games off against that mob

So apparently does Jim Goodwin.

19% possession, 0 attempts on target. 
Unacceptably poor 

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Did any Aberdeen fans leave early? Bet you’re kicking yourself after seeing the result on the BBC sport site..

A3A48A85-FB40-4D6A-AC99-BCBC6562339C.thumb.jpeg.7a71192972db458cd0ce18da10cad85d.jpeg

They also failed to break the news to us that our goalkeeper had signed for them before he scored the winning goal today!

A7D8A9AD-282E-4249-910E-6A78FBE31C8B.jpeg

I totally understand why Goodwin took a more circumspect approach here, and I am not concerned about a one-goal defeat to a very good Celtic in isolation, but you really need to maintain a threat on the counter-attack and in transition when you are setting up like we did - and we just did not do that. We also didn't retain possession nearly well enough when we got it; admittedly, Celtic's counter-pressing is very effective, but we were often so deep when we got possession back that players just weren't in good positions to receive the ball or were almost immediately dispossessed. As a result of this, it was very much a case of hitting Duk and seeing if he could make something stick - he worked manfully, but it was such a tough ask of him.

I am kind of stuck in two minds about the whole performance. I suppose it almost, nearly 'worked' because we were close to getting away with a point, but I am also thinking that we got very fortunate not to concede before we did, especially from that inexplicable Kyogo miss earlier in the second-half. We did defend our penalty box competently for the most part - Stewart did well, although playing most of the game inside his own box suits him down to the ground. Mackenzie coped better than I thought he might, although I would still want Scales to come back in on Tuesday. Celtic exploited the spaces between our outside centre-backs and wing-backs a bit too often for my liking, but we just about got away with it, although maybe more through luck than judgement. 

It will be interesting to see how we approach the game against Rangers. They are not as good as Celtic, but we clearly need to find a balance between the two extremes of the game today and the 4-1 game at Ibrox in October. Easier said than done, I suppose. 

Edited by DrewDon

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Don't mind those tactics against Celtic myself. 

You've got to be joking!! I don't mind protecting the defence a bit more but we played like fucking San Marino.

I won't be paying another £30 to watch the next home match against Celtic.

The players weren't to blame though. The tried hard to execute a flawed plan.

Tommy McLean used to do that with Motherwell regularly in the 1980s. Go to Ibrox, Parkhead, Tynecastle and  Pittodrie (we used to attack back in those days) with the uber-defensive mindset, and it would be an eye-bleeding shitfest before the overworked Motherwell defenders would finally lose concentration and concede a late goal.

Nul points and fuck back to Paisley Goodwin...

There’s no defending those tactics today. 

It’s playing to avoid a hiding. You give yourself virtually no chance of winning and the probability of ‘holding on’ for a draw is really low too. It’s only by luck that Goodwin came anywhere close to the 0-0 he craved today. That could easy have gone the other way and have been done by 20 minutes. 

Going from the ridiculous tactics at ibrox to this effort today makes Goodwin look like an idiot with no clear plan how to set up against the old firm, if I’m honest.