Who will become the next GOAT?

jamamafegan

With Messi cementing his place as the GOAT, at the edge of 35 one can presume that he will soon retire.

Who will become the next GOAT? To clarify, I mean who will become the next player to become the greatest of their generation?

For me it’s hard to see past Mbappe. Already a WC winner and two time finalist, needless to say guy is frighteningly good and he’s only 23. Then you have Erling Haaland who is also an incredible player. Can he win a major honour with Norway though? It seems unlikely.

Discuss 🐐  

There isn’t an obvious new contender. Messi is a freak! Mbappe is a great player but entirely different kind of player. Same with Haaland. We are lucky to have lived through the age of Messi. For nearly 20 years of sublime magic, which is unlikely to be equalled ever

2 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

There isn’t an obvious new contender. Messi is a freak! Mbappe is a great player but entirely different kind of player. Same with Haaland. We are lucky to have lived through the age of Messi. For nearly 20 years of sublime magic, which is unlikely to be equalled ever

It doesn't matter if they're different. They can still be better than everyone else can they not?

We obviously will see a similar player to Messi. Everyone will have said that after Maradona. It's a bizarre thing to say actually. Not sure if you're 12 tbf.

Haha. Really? My point was that he has been at the very top level for 2 decades. Of course there will be great players, indeed there are great players, Haaland, Mbappe, Neymar etc. 

Plenty of youngsters coming through as well, but I cannot see someone having a career like Messi has had. You mention Maradona. He was a fantastic footballer but not for 2 decades, same with Ronaldo 9, Ronaldinho etc.

ETA. The thread is the next GOAT.  The implication is the best player in the 150 years than football has been played is Messi. 

Edited by CambieBud

1 hour ago, CambieBud said:

Haha. Really? My point was that he has been at the very top level for 2 decades. Of course there will be great players, indeed there are great players, Haaland, Mbappe, Neymar etc. 

Plenty of youngsters coming through as well, but I cannot see someone having a career like Messi has had. You mention Maradona. He was a fantastic footballer but not for 2 decades, same with Ronaldo 9, Ronaldinho etc.

ETA. The thread is the next GOAT.  The implication is the best player in the 150 years than football has been played is Messi. 

I think you misunderstand. The question was 'of their generation '. Goat was just a phrase in the title.

13 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Over the next few years it's hard to look past Mbappe. Haaland is badly hampered by the fact that he's Norwegian so his chances of shining at a finals are slim. 

Why does he have to in order to be the best of his generation? George Best and George Weah never played at an international tournament.

3 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Why does he have to in order to be the best of his generation? George Best and George Weah never played at an international tournament.

Neither of them were the best of their generation, but you're still correct.

Mbappe, Haaland and Pedri are the standout candidates for me, but the latter will always be a more Xavi / Iniesta type unless he can add goals to his game.

According to Lineker, it might end up being Rashford.

17 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Neither of them were the best of their generation, but you're still correct.

Mbappe, Haaland and Pedri are the standout candidates for me, but the latter will always be a more Xavi / Iniesta type unless he can add goals to his game.

According to Lineker, it might end up being Rashford.

They were both clearly the best player in the world at one point, and Weah you could make a case for. The point is a player can't choose what country they're from and play over 80% of their football for their clubs. So their club career is much more important.

The result on Sunday was irrelevant for judging Messi's career. It's just one game out of a thousand. They could have won and he played terribly or lost when he was brilliant it doesn't matter. His place in the game is defined by his career not one 90 minutes.

And as it happens I find it a bit strange that people are saying he's the best ever now cause of that one game when he wasn't even the best player on the park in that game. Mbappe was.

I'm a huge Messi fan. I don't think you can accurately compare players from different eras but if someone thinks Messi is the best of all time I wouldn't fight them over it. But it isn't defined one way or another by that one game.

6 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

They were both clearly the best player in the world at one point, and Weah you could make a case for. The point is a player can't choose what country they're from and play over 80% of their football for their clubs. So their club career is much more important.

The result on Sunday was irrelevant for judging Messi's career. It's just one game out of a thousand. They could have won and he played terribly or lost when he was brilliant it doesn't matter. His place in the game is defined by his career not one 90 minutes.

And as it happens I find it a bit strange that people are saying he's the best ever now cause of that one game when he wasn't even the best player on the park in that game. Mbappe was.

I'm a huge Messi fan. I don't think you can accurately compare players from different eras but if someone thinks Messi is the best of all time I wouldn't fight them over it. But it isn't defined one way or another by that one game.

Of course you can't. It's why this GOAT thing is so tiresome. How many of us have seen Garrincha play?

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

Of course you can't. It's why this GOAT thing is so tiresome. How many of us have seen Garrincha play?

Well there you go. You can only judge the best of each generation. And the greats of any era would be greats in every era.

Garrincha allegedly had a 27 inch nob btw. Just a bit of useless information for you. No wonder he ran funny.