Who will become the next GOAT?

jamamafegan

6 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

But I don't make posts purely to target another individual, ever.

I think we'd all rather you did if this is the alternative tbh

2 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Garrincha allegedly had a 27 inch nob btw.

They were both clearly the best player in the world at one point, and Weah you could make a case for. The point is a player can't choose what country they're from and play over 80% of their football for their clubs. So their club career is much more important.

The result on Sunday was irrelevant for judging Messi's career. It's just one game out of a thousand. They could have won and he played terribly or lost when he was brilliant it doesn't matter. His place in the game is defined by his career not one 90 minutes.

And as it happens I find it a bit strange that people are saying he's the best ever now cause of that one game when he wasn't even the best player on the park in that game. Mbappe was.

I'm a huge Messi fan. I don't think you can accurately compare players from different eras but if someone thinks Messi is the best of all time I wouldn't fight them over it. But it isn't defined one way or another by that one game.

We are talking about the best player of their generation and neither is close. 

They won one Ballon D'Or each and Best managed only a few seasons at the highest level. Best played around the same time as Pele (beginning of his career), Gerd Muller, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff. He wasn't close to the level of any of these players. Dennis Law won the Ballon D'Or once too but clearly isn't as good as those mentioned above.

For George Weah, og Ronaldo was from a similar era and much better.

I do agree that Messi was the greatest player ever, regardless of the world final result. I won't be clinging onto this like some older people cling onto Maradona, I hope someone eclipses Messi.

Just glad I got to see him play live (I distinctly remember him skinning Rob Jones).

Edited by Satoshi

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Haaland is badly hampered by the fact that he's Norwegian so his chances of shining at a finals are slim. 

Not too sure about that TBH. There's a strong generation of Norwegian young footballers coming through the ranks headed by the lad Schjelderup who is playing in Denmark just now but set to be the next big thing. I'd not be that shocked to see Norway filling the space that's seemingly already been vacated by Belgium. They already have a world class striker and arguably a world class centre mid in Odegaard (who has been about forever but is still only 24).

4 hours ago, RawB93 said:

I think we'd all rather you did if this is the alternative tbh

Again, do you actually have a comment to make not solely about another poster? Cause that's what really ruins threads. I would suggest if you don't then you should keep your opinions to yourself.

3 hours ago, Satoshi said:

They won one Ballon D'Or each and Best managed only a few seasons at the highest level. Best played around the same time as Pele (beginning of his career), Gerd Muller, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff. He wasn't close to the level of any of these players. Dennis Law won the Ballon D'Or once too but clearly isn't as good as those mentioned above.

I do agree that Messi was the greatest player ever, regardless of the world final result. I won't be clinging onto this like some older people cling onto Maradona, I hope someone eclipses Messi.

Just glad I got to see him play live (I distinctly remember him skinning Rob Jones).

Weah is actually ten years older than Ronaldo. In football terms that's pushing the definition of same generation. He'd almost fall in between Maradona and R9. 

Weah is actually ten years older than Ronaldo. In football terms that's pushing the definition of same generation. He'd almost fall in between Maradona and R9. 

True but he only moved to Milan in 1995, before that playing at a (pre famous) PSG and Monaco. He won the Ballon D'Or the same year and stayed for 5 years.

Ronaldo burst onto the scene in 1994 and was pretty much done by 2005.

Despite the age difference their peaks overlapped.

9 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

True but he only moved to Milan in 1995, before that playing at a (pre famous) PSG and Monaco. He won the Ballon D'Or the same year and stayed for 5 years.

Ronaldo burst onto the scene in 1994 and was pretty much done by 2005.

Despite the age difference their peaks overlapped.

Possibly but if you class them as the same generation with a ten year age difference well Mbappe is 11 years younger than Messi so are they the same generation? No. But their peaks certainly overlap given they contested a WC final two days ago.

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

This is Alexandre Pato's time to shine. Him and Kerlon are going to tear up the next WC.

If you want a laugh and a wee look at what it looks like when a player plays at a level vastly below what he's capable of go on YouTube and watch Pato in China. Hilarious stuff, it's like an adult against a bunch of kids in the playground. Waltzing past six of them and scoring etc.

10 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I don't think Muller was "clearly" better than Law was he? Perhaps shaded it but I thought they were different types of forwards.

Unfortunately, there's nobody left to advocate for Jimmy Broon, who would spend every match tearing up and down the wings at superhuman speed, getting his legs broken every week by proper defenders wearing steel toecapped boots - proper hard men in those days - before finishing the match regardless, and who was once murdered by John "The Gov'nor" Given for nutmegging him six times in six seconds. All after working a full month at the colliery every six days.

According to our grandparents, every club seemed to have a Jimmy Broon, and these modern professional footballers couldn't hold a candle to them. Maradona's started on the route to being similarly eulogised, and the legend of Messi begins here!

I don't remember any of them curing cancer though, so Henrik Larsson still has the edge there.

5 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

If you want a laugh and a wee look at what it looks like when a player plays at a level vastly below what he's capable of go on YouTube and watch Pato in China. Hilarious stuff, it's like an adult against a bunch of kids in the playground. Waltzing past six of them and scoring etc.

Asamoah Gyan made himself one of the top 5 earning footballers in the world for a bit by doing exactly this in the Middle-East and China.

He was making £250k a week at one point out in China.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Asamoah Gyan made himself one of the top 5 earning footballers in the world for a bit by doing exactly this in the Middle-East and China.

He was making £250k a week at one point out in China.

You can understand why they do it. You remember Oscar from Chelsea? Quality player, away to China for daft money when he was 25 never heard from since.