Which player had the biggest drop off after the amount of potential they initially showed?

Charlie Nicholas.

As a youngster, he was superb. Incredible. Scored on his Scotland debut in 1983 (when he was 21) against Switzerland and, jeezus, what a goal it was. 2-1 down, 15 minutes left, he casually juggles the ball from right to left foot and clips it over the keeper into the top corner in one swift movement (Archie's scream of "OH WHAT A GOAL!!" summing up a level of excitement that he rarely showed). 

During that 82-83 season he scored 48 times (3 of the goals got nominated for goal of the season). And this was the early 80s. The Scottish League was at its peak. Hell, Celtic didn't even win the league that season (yay for Dundee United).

From then on, he only managed to start another 3 competitive matches for Scotland (ignoring the home internationals poop) and managed only a couple of goals that weren't in friendlies. By the age of 26, he was back in Scotland playing for Aberdeen and, although he still had flashes of genius, looked like was about 35. Hell, he was only 28 when he signed for Celtic again.

As per always, drink, blah, blah, blah. What a waste.

4 hours ago, tamba_trio said:

Charlie Nicholas.

As a youngster, he was superb. Incredible. Scored on his Scotland debut in 1983 (when he was 21) against Switzerland and, jeezus, what a goal it was. 2-1 down, 15 minutes left, he casually juggles the ball from right to left foot and clips it over the keeper into the top corner in one swift movement (Archie's scream of "OH WHAT A GOAL!!" summing up a level of excitement that he rarely showed). 

During that 82-83 season he scored 48 times (3 of the goals got nominated for goal of the season). And this was the early 80s. The Scottish League was at its peak. Hell, Celtic didn't even win the league that season (yay for Dundee United).

From then on, he only managed to start another 3 competitive matches for Scotland (ignoring the home internationals poop) and managed only a couple of goals that weren't in friendlies. By the age of 26, he was back in Scotland playing for Aberdeen and, although he still had flashes of genius, looked like was about 35. Hell, he was only 28 when he signed for Celtic again.

As per always, drink, blah, blah, blah. What a waste.

That's an interesting one.

I must admit I'd no idea he was as young as that when he came back to Scotland, but I suppose it obviously enough adds up, when I think of the years of his moves.

He had what most would class as a decent career, so he wouldn't strike me as a clear candidate for this thread.  Given how early it all fizzled downhill, however, I can see how he might fit.

I personally think Charlie Nicolas chose the wrong club when he left Celtic for Arsenals but I don’t honestly believe he merits a mention in this particular thread. 

If someone mentions Charlie Nic then we could say that Frank McGarvey’s decision to depart Liverpool must be one of the craziest decisions ever made by a Scottish player.

He would have won untold trophies at Liverpool but he was homesick and only wanted to play for his beloved Celtic. 

Made his Scotland debut against Argentina in ‘79 as a Liverpool reserve player.

Could have been a Liverpool and Scotland legend.

Such a great player.

13 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I personally think Charlie Nicolas chose the wrong club when he left Celtic for Arsenals but I don’t honestly believe he merits a mention in this particular thread. 

If someone mentions Charlie Nic then we could say that Frank McGarvey’s decision to depart Liverpool must be one of the craziest decisions ever made by a Scottish player.

He would have won untold trophies at Liverpool but he was homesick and only wanted to play for his beloved Celtic. 

Made his Scotland debut against Argentina in ‘79 as a Liverpool reserve player.

Could have been a Liverpool and Scotland legend.

Such a great player.

Couldn’t get in the 1st team with Kenny, Terry McDermott and David Johnston, and prob left at the right time, about a month before they signed Ian rush. 

42 minutes ago, Drew Brees said:

Couldn’t get in the 1st team with Kenny, Terry McDermott and David Johnston, and prob left at the right time, about a month before they signed Ian rush. 

This thread is about the biggest drop off. Considering he signed for the reigning European champions for a very large fee and never even played a first team game merits a place. 

I would personally say that McGarvey was a far better natural goal scorer than McDermott, Johnston and Fairclough. 

The pull of Celtic was too great. Such a shame given that club’s eventual treatment of him when he was forced out.

Who is to say how his game would have developed playing in the first team at Liverpool. 

I am 100% convinced that Bob Paisley would have given him a chance. 

Frank had run ins with Fergie when a young player at St Mirren. 

Both Fergie and Paisley could spot talent. Frank’s problems were self inflicted sadly. 

Perhaps my view is tainted as I saw him from a young age. But IMHO he was arguably the greatest natural finisher St Mirren that I ever saw especially during his first spell. 

He was never really challenged at Celtic as he would have been had he stayed at Liverpool. 

In my opinion a great talent who never fulfilled his early potential.

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

If you read his autobiography, he also admits he was in the initial grip of addiction when at Anfield and was spending more time in the bookies than he was on the training ground so his fitness wasn’t where it needed to be and neither was his focus.

The gambling addiction has blighted the poor guys whole life.

Theres no doubt though he was a very, very talented footballer and I sincerely hope he wins his current fight !!

15 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Ryan Gauld is earning £40k/week.

Stevie Mallon plays for Salford.

Tbf we can't be sure Mallan wasn't getting offered about that off the Turkish mob as it seemed to be completely made up figures they were using. Still sad he eventually got pissed about and lost interest at us, mainly as I have a fetish for midfielders who score multiple 20+ yard goals a year, regardless of how useless they are otherwise.

On 23/12/2022 at 19:23, Crawford Bridge said:

Kevin McCann looked like he could be as good as Steven Whittaker when he first broke through.

Unfortunately he just seemed to always be injured for the rest of his career. 

Aye, was a shame what ended up happening to him. Remember being sad when Whittaker left but also excited for McCann to get more playing time

On 24/12/2022 at 07:01, djchapsticks said:

Garry O'connor, Leigh Griffiths, Derek Riordan?

Could probably add Cummings to that list, although he never had the ability of the others he was a tremendous finisher at times with us.

Was actually thinking the other day if there's an (spurious) argument for Steven Fletcher to be added to the Hibee missed potential strikers list. Obviously he ended up having the career that O'Connor and Riordan should have - lots of caps, multiple years at top level - but saw a stat recently that he's up there with the best in terms of big chance conversions in the EPL since 2010 or something. Spent 3 years getting a goal every 3 or 4 games for dugmeat teams and being a good all round, highly rated striker but Sunderland was an awful choice of next club, got a tonne of injuries and at some point just didn't look that interested in football anymore. 

I dunno if anyone else was in for him but I think when he left wolves he was maybe 25 and could have kicked on, albeit just to a better mid table team. Obviously the injuries could have hit home there as well.

International career of course was a big disappointment as well, either wasn't getting picked or in the huff for a lot of his best time as a player, and ultimately goals against diddies aside pretty disappointing 

13 minutes ago, Molotov said:

This thread is about the biggest drop off. Considering he signed for the reigning European champions for a very large fee and never even played a first team game merits a place. 

I would personally say that McGarvey was a far better natural goal scorer than McDermott, Johnston and Fairclough. 

The pull of Celtic was too great. Such a shame given that club’s eventual treatment of him when he was forced out.

Who is to say how his game would have developed playing in the first team at Liverpool. 

Both Fergie and Paisley could spot talent. Frank’s problems were self inflicted sadly. 

Perhaps my view is tainted as I saw him from a young age. But IMHO he was arguably the greatest natural finisher St Mirren that I ever saw especially during his first spell. 

He was never really challenged at Celtic as he would have been had he stayed at Liverpool. 

He was a hopeless manager.

44 minutes ago, Molotov said:

The fact he signed for the best team in Europe and couldn’t get a game doesn’t really merit a place in the biggest drop off, a step too far imo, still had a good career at a high level.  

On 28/12/2022 at 17:26, Juantwothree said:

Not to brag but when I played against him at school level I totally destroyed him and I was shite. Couldn't believe it when a friend of his  told me he was going to United 

He used to come and play 7s with us in the summer of 2010, which shows how daft he is if nothing else.

He was pish. 

Jamie McCunnie was there and was at East Fife at the time. He was unplayable and could drop a ball on a sixpence from one end of the pitch to the other.

Edited by invergowrie arab