Clyde versus Alloa

19 minutes ago, Pie on a Roll said:

As much as it is frustrating, we are only 4 points off 2nd and 18 ahead of Clyde..

Rice seems to get very little grief off Alloa fans,but he is showing now how average he actually is.His constant poor use of players,i.e playing them out of position is costing needless dropped points,that and the fact we rely on defenders to score,or at least lately,ain't helping,Offords goal and Luke's goals aside,our strikers couldn't score in a brothel.We will continue to drop down the league now,no doubt.Not playing a properly set up defence,given our squad,is in truth a disgrace.

Relegation form and Rice sacked? Ooft. Bit of perspective needed. 

Last night reminiscent of much of the last month or so where Alloa are lacking confidence and creativity. As Leodhas said, I thought any of Alloa's chances came from individual brilliance rather than an overall team plan, most of the time it came through Offord, latterly Buchanan. MacIver played well but most of the time, nobody was on his wave length with his flick-ons. Where the game was lost, which has happened a few times this season, was the midfield and the lack of creativity in there. Like Kev, thought it was very strange to take Miller off, although it did look like he took a slight knock just before the break.

The game was crying out for Cammy, as it was too for Cawley in the midfield and you could see his intent when deployed there for five or so minutes. Disagree that he was ineffective at right back. Yes, I agree with the positional thing but one of our best attacking option going forward first half was Cawley on the right hand side. He had so much space. For me, the game was needing us to bring on Vinnie and go to a 5. Allow Church and Cawley to move further forward. As a back four, their five completely nullified Church going forward and like I said, all came down to Offord doing much of it on his own. 

We are notoriously a second half of the season team, so for me I just wanted to be in the mix at this point. Frustating is the word I'd use for the 6 or so more points we should have at this point of the season. Frustating, not disasterous, and certainly not sackable. Front men need freshened up and hopefully this is the beginning of Offord's run of starts, alongside Ross, and hopefully Scougall and Donnelly in time, who were sorely missed last night. The only two players who give you a bit of creativity in the midfield. Sammo shot of confidence and agree a bit of time out the side needed. 

Massive game at home to Kelty next week where maximum points are needed. Let's see what next few weeks bring with options coming back to fitness and hopefully new faces ... 

Looked a bit of a soft penalty to get but from the two angles I've seen it did look over the line.

Does Offords current loan end when the window reopens? Our issue seems to be strikers scoring in batches in stead of consistently, Sammon and Rodden both had good spells at the start of the season and Donnelly had a decent run of goals. I'd like to see Ross take Sammons place up top for a couple of weeks, I've felt a few times this season that Sammon wins a lot of flick ons that amount to nothing and give away possession.

Can't see Rice being sacked and wouldn't want him sacked. Playing players out of position is frustrating but was justifiable when the squad was stretched. I can only think he possibly wanted a fully match fit CB alongside Stanger last night given he's been out injured too. 

Edited by Rory
Missed a word!

10 hours ago, Alloa 68 said:

Rice seems to get very little grief off Alloa fans,but he is showing now how average he actually is.His constant poor use of players,i.e playing them out of position is costing needless dropped points,that and the fact we rely on defenders to score,or at least lately,ain't helping,Offords goal and Luke's goals aside,our strikers couldn't score in a brothel.We will continue to drop down the league now,no doubt.Not playing a properly set up defence,given our squad,is in truth a disgrace.

You really need to calm yourself down pal. Seem to be getting a bit carried away with any bad result. We have been average this season some really good results and some poor. To be honest it's probably exactly where I thought we would be. Yes there's improvements that can be made absolutely but to be calling for rice's head whenever there is a bad result is also madness. We have had some fantastic times as an alloa fan the past 10 years but we have also had some really shit times this century and those who where there to witness them have perspective and know this is nowhere near that. Even compared to 12 months ago it is night and day!

Labelling the squad as "a disgrace" was the best part 😆. Madness. Its hard to say if it's linked but we haven't been that great since the second half collapse against Edinburgh. Performance wise we really need something to kick start things. We certainly didn't deserve any more than a point last night. We've dropped some points but it's not as if we are on a losing run. No big deal at all.

37 minutes ago, Rory said:

Does Offords current loan end when the window reopens? 

I think St Mirren have an option to recall him. I'd like to see him stay, it's frustrating we haven't managed to get a consistent run out of him as I think he has plenty to offer.

We still have half the season left. I think we will go on a very good run at some point in the second half of the season, i do agree we need to see a more settled and consistent side picked for a bit but injuries and absences have gone against us at times. Not sure we can catch Dunfermline but defo see no reason why we won’t be there or there abouts come the end of the season for a playoff spot, which ultimately was the aim at the start of the season. This ‘Rice Out’ chat is wild!

Another really poor result last night. We are probably sitting roughly where I expected in the league giving our Summer recruitment and retaining of players not good enough for a real promotion push. We still might make 3rd or 4th but will need January squad improvements.

It is Rice's persistence in playing players like Kevin Cawley out of position and never dropping the likes of Conner Sammon who hasn't kicked a ball in months that is pissing me off. Offord looks a really good player but would he want to stay given the lack of game time.

Still stinging from the worst capitulation in my years of watching Alloa at Edinburgh City which really put Rice's tactical acremen into question for me.

Saying that we have definitely had far worse managers, and this time last year were stuck with Baza who was a crap manager and very unlikable individual.

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Looked a bit of a soft penalty to get but from the two angles I've seen it did look over the line.

Does Offords current loan end when the window reopens? Our issue seems to be strikers scoring in batches in stead of consistently, Sammon and Rodden both had good spells at the start of the season and Donnelly had a decent run of goals. I'd like to see Ross take Sammons place up top for a couple of weeks, I've felt a few times this season that Sammon wins a lot of flick ons that amount to nothing and give away possession.

Can't see Rice being sacked and wouldn't want him sacked. Playing players out of position is frustrating but was justifiable when the squad was stretched. I can only think he possibly wanted a fully match CB alongside Stanger last night given he's been out injured too. 

Indeed, I can clearly see why Taggs started in central defence with Andy, Vinnie and Howie on the bench and a returning Stanger starting too. Taggs has been our best centreback this season, in fact IMO he's been our best player by some distance. 

I don't agree with everything Brian Rice does, but overall I think he has done and is doing a better than average job.

Certainly much improved performance and signs that at least Duffy is getting us organised.
That said, killed again by poor defending for first goal. 
As mentioned Roberts and Cudihay were really good. Roberts got us up the park really well which is refreshing. 
If we can possibly get a full back or 2 in and someone to support Allan (if he had a first touch, what a player he would be) we would at least have a chance in a play off, assuming we get to that stage. 

Edited by FREDDYFRY

Got to give Clyde some credit , Duffy seems to have them organised better .

as for howie , Rice doesn't seem to rate him much

still puzzled by the team selection like some , Average is average and won't win us promotion though

we can do better than this, There has to be an improvement going on or fans rightly will start giving the manager some stick .

Nice to see Alan trouten sit with the fans last night too

If he had taken the penalty With all the Alloa fans asking him to run down and take it ! there may have been less controversy 😉 

Edited by Vegetableman

3 hours ago, Rory said:

Can't see Rice being sacked and wouldn't want him sacked. Playing players out of position is frustrating but was justifiable when the squad was stretched. I can only think he possibly wanted a fully match CB alongside Stanger last night given he's been out injured too. 

Where did you see a different angle? From where I was sitting, although it was crisply hit I’m not convinced it was over the line and the view on YouTube it is impossible to tell with Parry restricting the view. 

11 minutes ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

Where did you see a different angle? From where I was sitting, although it was crisply hit I’m not convinced it was over the line and the view on YouTube it is impossible to tell with Parry restricting the view. 

One from our highlights but all you can tell from that one is that the ball is behind Parry and one was posted on twitter where it looks like the balls over the line.

Playing like that it'll make a big difference having Duthie (who knows when) and Cunningham (doing a fairly intensive bit of work yesterday) back. Big open spaces to counter attack into and we couldn't take advantage.

5 hours ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

Like Leodhas said, big Parry came out at full-time saying they’d been shown a video in the dressing room that showed it was over. I was sure it was in and everything since has convinced me the same. 

We won’t see a better penalty taker than Trouts in the black and gold anytime soon.

It was al very strange, I couldn’t tell if it went in or not, but the Ref and his assistant just seemed to stand confused for ages as play continued after the kick.
Normally the linesman would run to halfway line straight away. He then stopped halfway to the line with his flag down at his hip. I actually thought he was giving a free kick or even an offside. All adding to the confusion.Was all very bizarre and topped a very bizarre performance from the ref and stand side assistant all night. 

I can only imagine the days of media coverage if this had been a game involving the bigot brothers 😂

9 hours ago, Pie on a Roll said:

We still have half the season left. I think we will go on a very good run at some point in the second half of the season, i do agree we need to see a more settled and consistent side picked for a bit but injuries and absences have gone against us at times. Not sure we can catch Dunfermline but defo see no reason why we won’t be there or there abouts come the end of the season for a playoff spot, which ultimately was the aim at the start of the season. This ‘Rice Out’ chat is wild!

Completely agree the "Rice out" chat is absolutely mental especially after seeing this from alloa stats on Twitter!

Screenshot_20221224-193413.png