Do you remember the good old days before the Ghost Town?

On 31/05/2023 at 12:43, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Get along to your local Asda, the conveyor tills with operators have them.

On a similar note, there was a shop in St Clair Street, Kirkcaldy that had a catenary wire system.

This was a series of wires between the sales and cahier points, when a sale was made your money flew on a tray to the cashier and change and receipt was returned.

Blimey. I haven't been to an ASDA(r) non-self-service checkout since I was a kid. What do they use them for?

There's some old tech that should be kept around purely because it makes us feel good. I'd be slightly more willing to put up with shit at work if I could whip an anonymous Goatse to the manager's office via the magic of air pressure.

51 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Blimey. I haven't been to an ASDA(r) non-self-service checkout since I was a kid. What do they use them for?

There's some old tech that should be kept around purely because it makes us feel good. I'd be slightly more willing to put up with shit at work if I could whip an anonymous Goatse to the manager's office via the magic of air pressure.

You were a kid less than 18 years ago? 🤥

1 hour ago, BTFD said:

Going by my experience earlier today - not much, apart from giving bored pensioners with nothing better to do some sort of purpose to their lives. Stood for 10 minutes and watched what appeared to be some sort of WRVS meeting. Certainly wasn't any sort of customer service I've seen before.

• 6 months later...
On 25/12/2022 at 06:25, Newbornbairn said:

Going to Woolies, choosing the album you wanted, making sure the store detective wasn't watching before you nonchalantly slipped it under your jersey and walked to the back door, away from the checkouts. The shout, the bang of the fire escape handle, the panicked ecstasy and adrenaline rush of the chase, not running straight home but in a different direction (rookie error avoided), the joy of knowing that a 13 year old can always outrun a 50 year old overweight alcoholic. That's how I got Setting Sons and Parallel Lines. 

CCTV has killed that. 

Thick As Thieves 

On 25/12/2022 at 22:58, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Milngavie town centre is a depressing dump.

You’re big standard charity shop, chemist, tea room, a chippy, bookie, old man pub, a damp smelling Asda with stains on the floor.

A great place if you’re a pensioner. Shite if you’re younger than 65. 
A good metaphor for Britain.

Just be patient FFS !!!!

I was born in Paisley, but was raised in what was then, a brand new and great place - Johnstone Castle. I lived in the top flat in the tenement of No3 Chestnut Place from being a new-born baby in 1961 to 1970. My mum and dad moved in 1970 to (again) what was a brand new and great place - Spateston. For the first time in their lives, they had their own front and back door, and a wee garden. My mum was in heaven.

Johnstone Castle, back in the 1960s, had two nice rows of shops, a community centre, Auchenlodment Primary School, and two parks. The local bar was the Hazel Bar. Was a brilliant place to grow up. All the women, for it indeed was the women, looked after their ‘close’. Scrubbed the stairs, no-one missed their turn. I took a trip out there today, prior to a trip to my dentist in Johnstone town centre. I hadn’t been back to Chestnut Place for at least twenty five years….

The tenements have been demolished. No1, 3, and 5 Chestnut Place all gone. Fcuk me if I don’t feel sad today. I can still remember the neighbours, the Kidd family below us, the family on the ground floor who always gave us kids a sandwich when we were running around playing. My mum launching a thruppenny bit wrapped up in a bit of paper from the balcony of the flat all the way down to the street when the ‘tally man’ turned up. Parducci’s. Blue vans.

Here’s where I used to call home. Just overgrown grass and a wire fence now. I feel old, and sad. Need a stiff drink. 

5F142AD7-24CE-467D-952D-FA32279FA6D3.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

17 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

been years since i have been up the castle too.is that the shops between the gap in the buildings?

Yeah, just where the white transit van is, was a row of shops. I think the shop on the corner might still be open.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I was born in Paisley, but was raised in what was then, a brand new and great place - Johnstone Castle. I lived in the top flat in the tenement of No3 Chestnut Place from being a new-born baby in 1961 to 1970. My mum and dad moved in 1970 to (again) what was a brand new and great place - Spateston. For the first time in their lives, they had their own front and back door, and a wee garden. My mum was in heaven.

Johnstone Castle, back in the 1960s, had two nice rows of shops, a community centre, Auchenlodment Primary School, and two parks. The local bar was the Hazel Bar. Was a brilliant place to grow up. All the women, for it indeed was the women, looked after their ‘close’. Scrubbed the stairs, no-one missed their turn. I took a trip out there today, prior to a trip to my dentist in Johnstone town centre. I hadn’t been back to Chestnut Place for at least twenty five years….

The tenements have been demolished. No1, 3, and 5 Chestnut Place all gone. Fcuk me if I don’t feel sad today. I can still remember the neighbours, the Kidd family below us, the family on the ground floor who always gave us kids a sandwich when we were running around playing. My mum launching a thruppenny bit wrapped up in a bit of paper from the balcony of the flat all the way down to the street when the ‘tally man’ turned up. Parducci’s. Blue vans.

Here’s where I used to call home. Just overgrown grass and a wire fence now. I feel old, and sad. Need a stiff drink. 

There’s little things that shake you to the core. A few years ago I was bored and fired up Google Earth, decided to look at the places I’d lived. Amazingly, the residences are all still there, but the shock I got when I saw an open field where my old Primary school had been was quite surprising.

On 24/12/2022 at 17:44, velo army said:

East Kilbride town centre was always a bit soulless. It's a recent invention of a town after all. Nowadays, however, the front near the bus station is horrifically depressing (boarded up hotel that hasn't looked nice since the 90's) and the rest is just an indoor shopping mall populated by thon American Candy shops, chain coffee shops and charity shops. 

Mingin'.

EK Dodgy

Growing up in the glitz and glamour of Alloa, my main memory is that when you came into the town from Clackmannan Road, you saw this brewery:

5539298468_4fca922e96_b.jpg

The angle of this image isn't so good but at night the red SKOL LAGER sign on the left was lit up. That was a big memory for me. That, and seeing loads of guys in the green wax jackets heading in and out of there - it was a huge employer. 

Nowadays it's the Asda and the train station. 

Stupid, sexy brewery building

17 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I used to work with a Brian Kidd and his brother at the airport car park. Probably the same family! 

I went back to where I grew up in Bridge of Weir not so long ago as I was passing through and fk me it was depressing. The street inhabited by people of my folks’ generation with neither the means nor the motivation to paint a fence or tidy their gardens. The place just stunk of decay.