Coaching Carousel 2023

lichtie23

On 08/01/2023 at 14:00, lichtie23 said:

Vrabel maybe in a bit of bother after missing the playoffs? 

23 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Difficult one to judge. His career record suggests he's perfectly competent, but they do play in a shite division and a 7 game skid shouldn't happen to anyone. A lot has been made about injuries wrecking their season, but the Offense was keek even at 100% and they only topped 24 points once all year.

I mentioned a couple of weeks back I think they're in a tough spot as a franchise. If they fire a reasonably competent HC they run the risk of hiring a muppet and turning into a binfire, but having said that they look like they are going nowhere fast anyway, and Vrabel is the sort of guy who will coach a poor team to 7-8 wins every year and prevent them being able to draft the real top talent, so 🤷🏿‍♂️

Nah, think he is pretty safe. His staff, not so much. He stated the he has been involved with the Owner in picking a new GM.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

4 assistants punted. Including the OC Todd Downing  

Good.

He was the worst, should've been punted after his DUI*. Didn't win a game since then.

*I may or not be hypocritical on this after the Charlie Adam tree incident.

Lions OC Ben Johnson has interviews with the Colts, Texans & Panthers while DC Aaron Glenn has an interview with the Colts.

Jim Caldwell has interviewed for the vacancies at the Panthers & Broncos.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Chatter seems to be that the Panthers job is basically Frank Reich's if he wants it. I have him firmly in the realms of 'competent but nothing special' as far as coaches go, but sometimes that's a good fit for where a specific franchise is at a particular point in time. I wouldn't be cheering from the rafters if I was a Panthers fan though.

Edited by Boo Khaki

49ers Assistant GM Adam Peters has declined interview requests from the Titans and Cardinals.

Broncos and Texans have submitted request to interview Demeco Ryans, but as per NFL rules they can't speak to him until Tuesday. 

Edited by peasy23

3 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Cardinals have asked permission to speak to Sean Payton. 

Can't imagine he'd be desperate to go there.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think Payton wants GM control, so Arizona is one of the places he likely fits.

There’s been rumours for a while that he had certain preferred destinations due to the climate - LA and Phoenix mentioned previously.

He’s also been on record as a big fan Kyler Murray.

Cardinals seem a wee bit of a mess in general but if the Chargers or Cowboys jobs don’t come up I could see him take this one.

I doubt any team is going to give up 3rd overall pick in the upcoming draft for a HC. The talk is the Saints are asking for a 1st, but that doesn't mean they'll get that nor does it mean it'll be from the next possible draft. If Payton goes to the Cards I'd imagine he will want that pick available to do what he wants with, so the comp would either be 2024 1st, or possibly something like 2023 2nd and a 2024 4th.

The team nobody is talking about is the Rams. If McVay walks away then Payton's dream of a job in LA is sitting there waiting. The Rams need a partial rebuild, and obviously their draft capital is a bit limited, but I don't think they're in such a bad way that it needs torn up completely and Payton having to coach through two or three 4 win seasons before it gets better. If Stafford comes back healthy, Kupp, Donald, Ramsey, etc then they have enough to challenge for the foreseeable. If he's hellbent of walking straight into a contender then he's not going to get that in Arizona either.

If Staley gets punted it's unlikely to be as swiftly as Monday coming because the ownership is one of the 'let the dust settle and evaluate' types, so they tend to be a bit slow in making significant decisions, but there is something at the back of my mind that makes me think the 'Payton to Chargers' thing isn't just empty talk. Spanos has been remarkably quiet and invisible this year, which is unlike him because he usually appears regularly to big up his HC and that hasn't happened at all. Call it spidey-senses or whatever, but it makes me think that somehow Payton has gotten the message to Spanos that he would be interested in HC'ing his team if they choose to move on from Staley. The dynamics of owning a team playing in LA are totally different to one playing in SD, and I think Spanos will have watched the Rams winning the SB last year and sat there quietly fuming. We're also about to enter year 4 of Herbert's Rookie contract, Keenan Allen and MW aren't getting any younger, neither are Bosa and Mack, and I think there's a time-pressure situation about this franchise that it simply hasn't had to deal with before because they've had vet stability at the QB position over the past 20 years.

I wonder how the 'trade' for Payton will work out.

Payton picks the bronco's and we offer pick 32 in the draft.  Cardinals offer pick 3 but Payton says I'm not going there.

You would think that the Saints would have nailed down exactly what they were getting in a trade before allowing him to speak to all and sundry.

the words that have been released about Denver's request is 'the Broncos never flinched at the though of the first rounder the saints are looking for' nothing in there that says compensation has been agreed.

It usually follows the pattern of 'preliminary discussions' in order to establish interest, which is where we are right now, then if there's a desire to take it forward it moves on to negotiations between the relevant franchises to agree compensation, and only once that is agreed is there anything formal happening between Payton and a prospective employer regards contract length, salary etc.

Just because the Saints agree one specific comp with one team that doesn't mean that the comp will have to be exactly the same from any other. The point is, regardless of where Payton decides he wants to go, whether that's a loaded team with a bunch of picks, or a no-hoper with nothing, between them and the Saints they'll figure something out, even if it's conditional picks years down the line from now.

Folk are getting too hung up on the '1st rounder' thing. That's only what the League would view as compulsory comp if Payton decided to go rogue and sign with whoever he liked and to hell with the Saints. It doesn't mean that anyone has to actually give the Saints a 1st rounder in order to sign Payton.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

It usually follows the pattern of 'preliminary discussions' in order to establish interest, which is where we are right now, then if there's a desire to take it forward it moves on to negotiations between the relevant franchises to agree compensation, and only once that is agreed is there anything formal happening between Payton and a prospective employer regards contract length, salary etc.

Just because the Saints agree one specific comp with one team that doesn't mean that the comp will have to be exactly the same from any other. The point is, regardless of where Payton decides he wants to go, whether that's a loaded team with a bunch of picks, or a no-hoper with nothing, between them and the Saints they'll figure something out, even if it's conditional picks years down the line from now.

Folk are getting too hung up on the '1st rounder' thing. That's only what the League would view as compulsory comp if Payton decided to go rogue and sign with whoever he liked and to hell with the Saints. It doesn't mean that anyone has to actually give the Saints a 1st rounder in order to sign Payton.

thanks for the explanation.