Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

No sure what age you are, but I’m sure that was called “What Every Woman Wants” in the 70s. Just assumed it was the same shop that changed its name.

I think in the 80s it changed to What Everyone Wants to have a broader appeal for people wanting to buy cheap shite 

image.jpeg.4d9493ff26ccfd05aecbf23064503289.jpeg

20 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

In the early 70's, my folks basically lived on tick.........Provi cheques and my mother was in various 'clubs' and menages........and even our telly was on the never-never. It had a slot meter on the back which took 50p pieces. Each month, a wee guy from Radio Rentals came round and emptied the meter, there was usually a few quid left over which my old man would take for fags and the bookies.

Happy days.......................................not.

My M&D had a TV about the same time from Radio Rental, went a paid at the shop every week. Sure after a number of years they went to upgrade and RR wouldn't take the old one away it was old and used. They just kept that and were allowed to stop paying. 

50 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Anybody remember coin meters on the telly?

Was  about to ask that, Gran and Grandad had one in the 70’s…was watching The Longest Day and suddenly had to drop another 10p into the telly!

On 26/01/2023 at 12:47, Newbornbairn said:

Anybody remember coin meters on the telly?

We used to holiday (mid 70s till mid 80s) to English coast towns. Usually Margate which involved sleeping in the car overnight to give dad a rest or Blackpool we’re favourites. Always stayed in apartments or b&b and always had a metered telly.

Mum had a wee bag of change so dad could watch the Generation Game and perv over Anthea Redfern or latterly Isla St Clair.

Youngsters would not get their heads around that when we were at school, a “day in town” involved paying for the telly as said above. We were dragged every Saturday morning to DER or Radio Rentals and a couple of years late upgraded to Granada which was considered a posher shop in the Thistle Centre as they had fancy video recorders to rent too! 

Getting sent to the shop to get dad’s smokes and getting a 10pence sweetie mixture was considered a treat midweek at primary school. 

What would youngsters make of CB radios and the clubs which are in every town in the 70s? We used to, as a 10 year old and my brother go with my dad to the CB club and sometimes watch Bruce Lee movies played on a proper old fashioned projector played onto a screen. 

Meantime the dads/ older men were getting totally hammered before driving home at 10pm. Simpler times indeed.

1 hour ago, deegee said:

Youngsters would not get their heads around that when we were at school, a “day in town” involved paying for the telly as said above. We were dragged every Saturday morning to DER or Radio Rentals and a couple of years late upgraded to Granada which was considered a posher shop in the Thistle Centre as they had fancy video recorders to rent too! 

Getting sent to the shop to get dad’s smokes and getting a 10pence sweetie mixture was considered a treat midweek at primary school. 

Never mind paying for the Telly. I was in a b&b in Edinburgh in the eighties and they charged extra if you wanted tokens for the shower.