Super Wildcard Weekend

lichtie23

@steelmen

It's the one that always stands in my mind because it was similar to the current Chargers situation. We were trying to get back on our feet after the last couple of years of Norv, and challenge a Denver team that was very much in a 'win now' window, with the feeling being that generally we had the better of them on talent, but just like this iteration with the Chiefs, we often got the better of teams across a game yet still came away with a loss. I think that a genuinely good LAC HC would be 4-2 to 5-1 v's Mahomes over the last 3 seasons because we've outplayed them for the most part but crumpled at the end. It always felt that way as well when Rivers played the Manning era Broncos. 2013 playoff game was another example. For some reason McCoy kept handing it off to Ryan Mathews despite it being abundantly clear Denver couldn't stop Rivers. He let it get to a 17-0 hole or something in the 4th, before finally turning the O over to Dad and he promptly torched the Denver D for two TD's to KA, but we run out of time. 

There have been countless other examples of the Chargers blowing huge leads or throwing away games from impossible positions, just that one in particular stands out. I think in 2017 when Lynn started 0-4 the odds of losing all 4 of those games given the positions the Chargers built were something ludicrous like 1 in 11 million, yet still they managed it. Hibs learned it from the Chargers, not the other way around.

Last time was probably 2020. Rookie Herbert, playing Brady and the Bucs. Fairly certain that was a 24-0 lead as well, and again, totally ripping the piss out of them followed by a complete about-face and a total arse-collapsing 

Edited by Boo Khaki

Since 2000, teams who won the turnover margin by five or more were 142-4-1 heading into this game, according to TruMedia. The Chargers are now the fifth team to lose, joining the 2000 and 2010 Browns, the 2012 Cardinals and the 2007 Buffalo Bills.

It's bound to be. There were no other injuries as far as I'm aware?

It's normal for recovery from each successive concussion to take longer than the last. Asante Samuel missed two weeks last season after his first, then four weeks after the second. It's especially bad if they come in quick succession. 

Before the NFL ever got on top of it I'm sure guys were playing concussed all the time. Merill Hoge believes that he suffered 40-50 concussions across his career, and I've read elsewhere that some doctors believe you should be refrain from all contact sports completely after 2 - 3. Horse riding is bad for it because of the height they fall from and the fact their feet are attached, so they invariably land on their heads, or shoulders/back/neck if they are lucky.

24 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Concussion issues??

Certainly what was listed on the practice reports during the week. You have to think the Dolphins have royally fucked him by the way they handled the first concussion back in week 3 when he suffered a "back injury" but had left the field for a concussion assessment.