Arbroath V Motherwell, 21.01.23

Neil86

Bit frustrating I thought, nothing in that game and it was there for the taking. We need to stop playing these long hopeful punts up to the strikers, waste so many good attacks and the ball just comes straight back every time.

Fair play to the Well fans also, thought they made for a class atmosphere.

The difference between the teams was that Arbroath struggled to create openings around the 18 yard box.

Good performances from TOB, Dow, Gold, Balde and McKenna was MOTM.

We need to be creating a lot more opportunities up front - I expect 2 more incoming signings to address this matter in the next 10 days.

A good, fighting performance, but we lacked creativity up front - we need to be creating a lot more openings near the 18 yard box if we want to win games.

As for Motherwell, their new striker scored both goals and missed a few good opportunities.

Good luck in the next round.

8 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

i barely noticed dow playing tbh

I decided to sit in the stands today and from where I was sitting Dow seemed to put in a decent performance - I thought his passing and distribution was good.

Also, losing Ricky Little so early meant that Gold came on as sub much sooner than expected- not Gold's best game, I agree, but I thought he put in a decent shift.

But the lack of creativity near the 18 yard box was an issue - only 1 shot on target (which was an easy save for their keeper).

From a Motherwell perspective it was a pretty low key performance but just not giving away a shite, avoidable goal for the first time in a couple of months was good (Blaney was absolutely fine on his debut). Having a new striker score a couple on his first start is ideal too. 

Arbroath were perfectly decent but I never felt there was any real threat in our box. 

Other than that, great trip - noisy atmosphere in the Westport bar - and Gayfield is a brilliant ground of the type we never get to visit. Hope Arbroath have a better second half of the season. 

Thought Blaney showed up well on a debut. Bailed Lamie out on occasion. 

The midfield 3 of Goss, Slattery and Spittal was so, so poor though. Goss has been off the boil for months now, as has Slattery. And Spittal wants a calendar month to do anything.

Finally, Gayfield is class. Not as cold as feared and had a cracking day oot.

Balde is a player like.

Fair enough today, our season won’t be made or broken because of a cup tie against Motherwell but it’s nice to be back to believing again, there’s been a decent improvement with the new players coming in.

I can’t help but think we will soon be running out of games though, big few weeks ahead playing both Cove and Hamilton. 

Apart from the football which was bang average. The whole trip to Arbroath was a joy.

What stood out for me was how cheap everything was. 10 of us had lunch at Andreous bistro. Sure the service was slow. But the food was excellent. Genuinely great food. And the bill was around £20 a head. In Edinburgh that would have been twice as much and then some.

Hope Arbroath can stay in championship at the placcies expense. That would be nice.