Albums of 2023

Miguel Sanchez

Cut Worms by Cut Worms is precisely the 60s tinged pop rock, hook-central, melody overload that She and Him tried to make before they became completely insufferable and clawing.    RIYL George Harrison, early Oasis and doo-wop.

In no particular order the 2023 albums I have mostly been listening to are:

• Blondshell - Blondshell
  • Boygenius - the record 
  • Gracie Abrams - Good Riddance
  • Paramore - This Is Why
  • Alaska Reid - Disenchanter
  • Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want To Turn Into You
  • Lana Del Rey - Did You Know That There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Boulevard
  • Samia - Honey
  • The National - First Two Pages Of Frankenstein
  • Bully - Lucky For You
Edited by capt_oats

My Favourites of the Year

Boygenius - The Album

Foo Fighters - But here we Are

The Lathums - From Nothing to a Little Bit More

The Lemon Twigs - Everything Harmony

Rodrigo y Gabriela - In Between thoughts, a new world

QOTSA - In Times New Roman

Art School Girlfriend - Soft Landing

Depeche Mode - Memento Mori

The Teskey Brothers - The Winding Way

Two big albums out today for the music I listen to and both very good:

Holding Absence - The Noble Art of Self Destruction 

Spanish Love Songs - No Joy

Both strong releases and I reckon both have went into my top 10 for the year,  especially Spanish Love Songs (the big, miserable, b*****ds that they are).

6 hours ago, Accies1 said:

Two big albums out today for the music I listen to and both very good:

Holding Absence - The Noble Art of Self Destruction 

Spanish Love Songs - No Joy

Both strong releases and I reckon both have went into my top 10 for the year,  especially Spanish Love Songs (the big, miserable, b*****ds that they are).

The Spanish Love Songs album is absolutely superb. I've listened to it twice through already.

15 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

The Spanish Love Songs album is absolutely superb. I've listened to it twice through already.

Gave it the once through on the drive to work and it sounded like the full album more that matched the single releases, I’m looking forward to a more focused listen, it was a such a session of brave faces which really made me a fan of them

Edited by parsforlife

50 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Yeah, I've listened to it twice already too. 

Brave Faces Everyone is up there with my favourite ever albums so it was always going to be a tough act to follow. While it might not be as good (I've came to a decision yet), it's damn close. 

11 minutes ago, Accies1 said:

Yeah, I've listened to it twice already too. 

Brave Faces Everyone is up there with my favourite ever albums so it was always going to be a tough act to follow. While it might not be as good (I've came to a decision yet), it's damn close. 

I absolutely love both versions of Brace Faces. Such a strong collection of songs. Think No Joy will be up.there.

Can't wait to see them supporting Hot Mulligan next week.

13 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I absolutely love both versions of Brace Faces. Such a strong collection of songs. Think No Joy will be up.there.

Can't wait to see them supporting Hot Mulligan next week.

Same, I saw them at Slam Dunk earlier this year and they were great. 

I'll need to start listening to more Hot Mulligan ahead of the gig though as I haven't listened to them that much. 

1 minute ago, Accies1 said:

I'll need to start listening to more Hot Mulligan ahead of the gig though as I haven't listened to them that much. 

Their newest  album, Why Would I Watch? Is very good as well.

25 minutes ago, Accies1 said:

#jealous as I couldn’t make slam dunk work this year.  Never really got hot mulligan, singers voice just too winey for me,  just hope SLS get enough support to do a full UK headline

14 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

#jealous as I couldn’t make slam dunk work this year.  Never really got hot mulligan, singers voice just too winey for me,  just hope SLS get enough support to do a full UK headline

While I like Hot Mulligan I am going next week mainly for Spanish Love Songs. I'm hoping because it's just them in support that they'll maybe get 45 minutes instead of half an hour. Definitely hope they do their own headline shows next year.

6 hours ago, parsforlife said:

6 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

While I like Hot Mulligan I am going next week mainly for Spanish Love Songs. I'm hoping because it's just them in support that they'll maybe get 45 minutes instead of half an hour. Definitely hope they do their own headline shows next year.

This tour was billed almost as a dual headliner and considering Hot Mulligan played Glasgow just a few months ago in a smaller venue makes me think SLS will have a good length set next week. 

Here's hoping anyway 🤞